A Little Light English Roundhand (Copperplate)

caliken

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• Anne-Sophie

• WestLothian

• disillusion

For those interested in such things, the 'W' has been written backwards i.e. from right to left.

fpn_1404743759__penholder_text_500.jpg

fpn_1404743808__penholder_only_500.jpg

Edited by Ken Fraser

Well spotted!

I've never noticed that before. I've seen the style called both "Round Text" and, more commonly, "Round Hand" They are indeed just different names for the same thing. It is strange that Geo Bickham should include the same style with two different titles!

There are very minor differences in a couple of the letters but not enough to warrant an extra entry IMO.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Ken

Thanks, Ken. It's nice to know that I'm not missing anything really obvious. :)

Jenny

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

An English Roundhand Exemplar

fpn_1404650223__exemplar_800.jpg

Wow! Breathtaking-Ken could you possibly post some numbers too? Many thanks!

Mishka

Wow! Breathtaking-Ken could you possibly post some numbers too? Many thanks!

Mishka

The numbers are halfway down, before the minuscules.

Ken

I usually base my English Roundhand on the examples in The Universal Penman, which displays the optimum in all respects IMO.

The shading is surprisingly modest and is judged by eye from experience.

Ken

Thank you. I just placed an order for the book (and the Zanerian Manual too).

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Instagram

The majuscule 'W' was written backwards i.e. from right to left.

fpn_1405290336__esterbrook_complete_600_

Edited by Ken Fraser

This majuscule 'I' was written backwards i.e. from right to left, starting at the foot.

fpn_1405342148__imagination_800.jpg

Edited by Ken Fraser

So Beautiful!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I produced this lettering for my son's wedding invitation.

fpn_1405547780__rosalind__gavin_500.jpg

Edited by Ken Fraser

English Roundhand (Copperplate) is a difficult script which is usually written slowly and carefully. However, it can be effective as normal handwriting, written with few pen lifts, albeit slower than everyday handwriting. It's nice to use, if you've plenty of time!

This was written a bit larger than it shows on the screen. The line width is about 12".

fpn_1405549242__thanksgivin_900.jpg

Edited by Ken Fraser

For those interested in such things, the 'W' has been written backwards i.e. from right to left.

fpn_1404743808__penholder_only_500.jpg

Is that instrument above the "oblique penholder" that was referred to in one of the posts?

Is that instrument above the "oblique penholder" that was referred to in one of the posts?

Yes, this is one of the beautiful oblique penholders hand-produced by "Unique Obliques"

aka Brain Smith - MusinkMan on this forum.

This is written in the English Roundhand style of the 18th century English Calligrapher William Kippax.

fpn_1405605980__kippax_600.jpg