Pilot Namiki Falcon (Sf) Pressure Requirements

cpmcnamara

Hello,

I'm definitely not well-versed in fountain pens, but I've used a Lamy Safari and some cheaper Platinum pens for awhile now. I am considering upgrading to a Namiki Falcon, however, I have a basic question.

I like to write/sketch with very minimal pressure (the less the better). I know the semi-flex will require some pressure to get some line variation, however, how much pressure is required with the Namiki just to write a clean line?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Best Regards,
Casey

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rwilsonedn

• cpmcnamara

• FriedIceCream

• Colonel Jake

Still new at this and so I've been looking at reviews and articles. One of the first video reviews of the Namiki Falcon I've seen is sbrebrown's YouTube review. Check it out.

What FriedIceCream said. The pen should write a fine line with no pressure at all. Light-to-moderate pressure (a fingertip, not pressing down hard) will expand that to a narrow medium. Further pressure won't make much difference, until you damage the nib.

If you are looking for great width variation, from hairlines to bold or double-bold, the Falcon is probably not the right pen--you will be happier with a really flexible dip pen. The other alternative would be a "wet-noodle" nib on a vintage fountain pen, but these are both quite expensive and rather delicate--maybe not the best place to start. In any case, your very light touch will serve you well--it is the key to enjoying flexible pens of any sort. As a general rule, if you ever have to press hard, that is not the right nib for the job.

ron

Great - thanks for the responses. I think the small amount of line variation will work for me - hairline to a narrow medium should be good for now. That said, I like exploring the dip pen idea in general. Do you have any recommendations for a lower cost, good flexible dip pen? - I would probably use this one exclusively for sketching/drawing.

Edited by cpmcnamara

There are other people here who know a huge amount about modern dip pens--I'm not one of them. But I do know you can often pick up a box of vintage pens on eBay for about the price of one or two modern pens--sometimes the box is sealed and still has a full gross of pens in it. And most of the old ones seem to be quite flexible, unless they are marked for some special feature, like ball-point. It's a bit of a gamble, but the price is right.

ron

compared to old flex fp's? falcon requires a bit more pressure but its quite soft

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

I've had a Namiki (Yes marked that way back then instead of Pilot) Falcon Soft Fine for several years.

It never fails to surprise me how easily it writes - very fine of course- without the slightest pressure.

If you need a description "hair breadth" comes to mind as a way of describing that it makes a clean line with just it's own weight.

All you do is grip so it stays in the direction you want.

It will develop a broader line if you push during a down stroke. More difficult to do a wider line in any other direction for me although.

I love the pen!!

I sometimes flip mine over and sketch with the back of the nib, that way the line is a tad finer and much drier than using the underside and also pressure won't affect line width.