Franklin-Christoph - Model #2 - Which Should I Get?

Blue_Moon

Smoke and Ice or Anderson Pen Version (Blue)? I love both!

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/uploads/1/0/4/5/10453260/8875433_orig.jpg?458

http://cdn3.volusion.com/stnvf.ynoqe/v/vspfiles/photos/fc02-7.jpg?1403816657

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue_Moon

• serpent

• elevennx

• Polanova

Anderson version gets my vote, but I don't find the smoke/ice one to be overly attractive.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

If only the section of the smoke/ice was made of the same material as the body and the cap!

Well? I don't know anything about the Anderson pens and I do know a bunch about Franklin Christoph! Here's the issue; The Smoke and Ice turns me off, yet it is a FC product and you could get a custom nib from Mike-it-work which is worth a whole bunch! Anderson, don't know anything about them, but like it's looks :-) So what do "I" do in this case? I suck it up and go with the FC for the nib, as the nib is what a pen is all about for without a good nib, you just have a paper weight !

Now what do you do? I dunno, but do keep us apprised, ok?

Gorgeous, both!

I love my Smoke and Ice (Pocket 40), and in person it's more stunning than in photos. I wish the section was like the one on the Model 02, though...all smokey and swirly.

That blue is gorgeous, but the smoke and ice is a definite conversation starter.

So what do "I" do in this case? I suck it up and go with the FC for the nib, as the nib is what a pen is all about for without a good nib, you just have a paper weight !

Not sure - you may understand or not. From your comment, it sounds like you're thinking one is F-C and one isn't. Please forgive me if I'm mistaken. Both these pens are F-C. Some companies contract with F-C to put out their own versions. The blue pen is the Anderson Pen Company's version of the F-C Model #2. For example, below is Pendleton Brown's version of the F-C Model #19 (the green). The other (blue) is Anderson Pens' version of the same pen. Now, you are right, that Anderson Pens doesn't offer the Masuyama nibs. They only offer the standard F-C nibs. So, your recommendation would remain the same. However, I'd love to have that PB model 19. I love that color, and I love what Pendleton can do with a nib. Oh well, I already have a Model #19 with standard Cherry Ice red.

http://pendletonspens.com/images/links/188-IMG_1090.JPGhttp://cdn3.volusion.com/stnvf.ynoqe/v/vspfiles/photos/fc19-2.jpg?1403816657

Edited by Blue_Moon

I very much like my own Smoke & Ice, writes nicely even with the non-miestered nib I purchased and it is a very eye pleasing pen - the catch though are the many faces of this pen due to its unique transparency (I wouldn't even classify this as a demonstrator), every time you use a new ink in the pen as an eye dropper it takes on a new and different appearance.

In a world and history of limited pen shapes, models, material and companies I think the Fire & Ice brings something new and unique to the market in shape, feel, and versatility while providing a very high quality product.

Best, M.

Hello,

I would choose the Anderson pens for two reasons.

First I like blue, but most of my pens are black. Black pens for me, look like more elegant, and those blue accents make the AP version very attractive to my eyes.

Second, the smoke ice version looks weird with a converter inside. Maybe it is just me, but looks weird. Although using it as an eye-dropper is another thing, it looks awesome. I dont use pens as eye-dropper since my bad experience with my Kaweco sport. Here there are links where I saw the photos with a converter and as an eye-dropper.

Either way you will have a very good looking pen, I guess.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

The time's getting short, and I'm planning to order soon. Still haven't made up my mind. I keep wondering about staining. The Smoke and Ice isn't your average demonstrator. Can someone who has one tell me if it stains easily as an ED?

• 2 weeks later...

The time's getting short, and I'm planning to order soon. Still haven't made up my mind. I keep wondering about staining. The Smoke and Ice isn't your average demonstrator. Can someone who has one tell me if it stains easily as an ED?

I was wondering the same, about staining issues. Have your ordered it yet?

I was wondering the same, about staining issues. Have your ordered it yet?

Nope - Haven't ordered yet. However, I heard from one individual who said he used several inks in his Smoke & Ice, and did not have any staining.

Nope - Haven't ordered yet. However, I heard from one individual who said he used several inks in his Smoke & Ice, and did not have any staining.

That's good to hear. Please update us if you decide to get the pen. I'd love to hear what you think. Oh, and pics, of course :)

Heard from another person who said staining could be a problem, especially in the cap. He uses an ultrasonic cleaner, though, and said it gets his completely clean. I don't have a cleaner, and don't plan to buy one for a while.

Aaaaaarrrrrgggggg! It's time to buy, and I still can't make up my mind. I guess, at this point, it may be, "Which shall I get.......first?" I think both of them are gorgeous. I really didn't want two Model #2's, though. When filled with ink, the Smoke & Ice looks better, but that blue marble on the Anderson version is just incredible. I wouldn't have to worry about ink staining with the Anderson version, but that ice-like texture on the Smoke & Ice is just so unique. I might just flip a coin.

Edited by Blue_Moon

I thought the smoke & ice was out of stock. Are they available again? If I was buying one right now, and I wish I was, I'd opt for that one over the solid color. Just looks cool when filled, like you said. Although i wonder how much of that effect i've seen in photos is due to optimum lighting. As for staining, hopefully it will be fine so long as you clean the pen fairly frequently. Let us know what you decide.

Edited by elevennx

I thought the smoke & ice was out of stock. Are they available again? If I was buying one right now, and I wish I was, I'd opt for that one over the solid color. Just looks cool when filled, like you said. Although i wonder how much of that effect i've seen in photos is due to optimum lighting. As for staining, hopefully it will be fine so long as you clean the pen fairly frequently. Let us know what you decide.

Yep, they were out of stock for a short time, but they're back in stock again. I'll say that when they are out of stock, it's usually a good bit longer than this time with the Smoke and Ice. I guess it's a really popular seller and they put a rush on manufacturing them.

shh...I've been looking to purchase a fire & ice for a long time. Blue you inspired me to pull the trigger! Mines gonna take about 2 weeks so now the big choice is, EF or Mayusama Needlepoint?

;)

The needlepoint grind is a bargain. One of the primary reasons to buy a Franklin-Christoph is to get your hands on a Masuyama nib for just a bit more $$. I honestly don't know why anyone would go with a standard JoWo factory nib in this case (okay, maybe that is a little over the top)...

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg