Inky T O D - How Long Do You Use A Pen Before Rotating It Out Of Use?

colrehogan

Just wondering how long people use their pens before rotating them out of use and how long do you keep it out of use? Do old favorites work their way back in or just stay in permanently?

Smith Premier No. 4

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• amberleadavis

• pencils

• MusterMark

Until I get bored of it I keep it in rotation. I have a collection of some cheap pens I use daily at university and a few nicer ones I only use in my flat. For a long time I had my Parker Frontier as my everyday pen year I probably went through 12 fills until it I retired it to the

shelf.

I do rotate my pens but I only when I get bored of the pen as I don't see the point in changing what works well. I've got a spread sheet that I update every Monday with the ink and pen combinations of the week. The point of this is to ensure most pens get inked every few months and also to work out what I rarely use and what I need to get rid of.

Ninety percent of the time I use a pen for the duration of an inking, and move on. The exceptions are usually new pens and I'm curious how they will behave with a new ink, or it is a pen inked with something that doesn't pair with it good, or doesn't behave well, and I'll flush and re-ink it.

Unless a pen is new and I really, really enjoy writing with it, each pen gets one fill of ink before it goes back on the case and another pen gets to come out and play. With over 100 pens it may take quite a while for a pen to find it's way back to the desk.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I am much like those above...One fill and then on to another pen. With the necessity of doing more and more of my work electronically it takes longer to empty the pens so it slows down the rotation. I usually have 3-4 inked at a time. With close to 300 pens it takes a long time to make a "lap" :)

Edited by WOBentley

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

I keep 4 inked at any one time. When one runs out, a new one cycles in. It means I keep track of when I fill the pens, so I know whose turn it is. The one exception is my Pilot 823, which is continuously inked. It takes about a year to go through my 60+ pens.

Dave

Certain pens are always in rotation either because I love the pen (my two Pilot pens: a Custom 823 and a Justus 95). Another pen is always in rotation because it's my designated "Baystate Blue" pen. I don't care for the pen, but I love the ink in it. So, it's always in rotation. Other than that, the only things for sure are that there will always be at least one Noodler's Konrad in rotation.

I don't do rules really, but I will get rid of a pen if it doesn't get into the rotation. If I'm dreading inking up a pen, it's time for that pen to go!

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Just wondering how long people use their pens before rotating them out of use and how long do you keep it out of use? Do old favorites work their way back in or just stay in permanently?

I fill: I use: I check: I flush: I check again: I invade: I conquer.

Oh, I forgot.

I write with them all.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I write with 3 pens, those in my signature :(

You people with 300 pens... 2much4mybrain

Careful when buying a bird.. you'll end up with a flock before you know it.

I have my favorites. I use a TWSBI until it needs maintenance, and then I put it in a drawer until I have time to fiddle with it. Once I got the Pelikan M200s writing just the way I like, they have never left rotation. When I got a new intern, and decided to test more than 50 inks, I decided that I should pick up a few JInhao 599s. They are on the intern's desk. I also brought some of the Plumix pens back into circulation. I sort of like them. I should have used them for the testing. Alas, I find that I just don't use pens that just aren't fun.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

IT DEPENDS.

As I rule, I do not rotate thru my pens.

Most of the pens are in permanent use with a specific ink

Some I might rotate as I feel I want to use a different pen.

Or, if want to use a different/new ink, I will ink up a new pen.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

At this point, my collection is relatively small. I have 4 vintage pens and 1 modern pen that see regular use. The Lamy 2K and the Parker 51 get the most use, as they're my go-to pens for note-taking and long-form writing. (Lots of that...) Aside from a couple of less expensive pens that I mainly use in situations where I wouldn't trust my favorites, I tend to stick with these five.

I usually use the pen until I use all the ink in it so I can get a "proper" feel for the ink.

I have my favorites. I use a TWSBI until it needs maintenance, and then I put it in a drawer until I have time to fiddle with it. Once I got the Pelikan M200s writing just the way I like, they have never left rotation. When I got a new intern, and decided to test more than 50 inks, I decided that I should pick up a few JInhao 599s. They are on the intern's desk. I also brought some of the Plumix pens back into circulation. I sort of like them. I should have used them for the testing. Alas, I find that I just don't use pens that just aren't fun.

Can I intern for you?? I want to play with fountain pens all day @.@

I'll keep on struggling, 'cause that's the measure of a man.

Right now I have 13 pens. All are inked. Number 14, a Parker 51 Special and its mechanical pencil mate is on its way.

I try to write with at least 3-4 of them every day.

This last time I filled about half dozen or so all at once changing inks in at least some of them.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have now three or four inked (I'm pretty sure it's four, but I may have just run my Charcoal Lamy out), and will rotate a pen out and a new pen in at the end of a fill if I find that I want to use something different. That happens a majority of the time...

Fill, stick in the proper colored cup. Put in the empty cup, when empty for eventual cleaning and back to either the display case or the walnut humidor for pens I'll not be using as much.

Of the ones I have out, the Lamy 27 OF will go into hiding...it's a nail. I only have 45 spaces in the display box. And 12-13 pens in rotation.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

i try not to keep more than four or so inked. as little as i write, those four can last months before one of them runs dry, which is when i flush it and decide whether to re-ink it or pick another to replace it.

some pens are always inked; my hero 329 is my daily-carry, general-use pen. i rely on it to write what i need written without any headaches or issues, just solve the problem (of something needing written) and get out of the way. others rotate in and out of favour depending on whim.

Usually one fill and then on to the next. I have a couple that will get a second and maybe third fill before being rested. I do not have any set rotation. When I need another pen I pick up the one that I'm in the mood to use at that time. Sometimes, when I want to use a particular ink the ink will limit my pen choices.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I use them all. None go away unless they're rubbish.

Seriously.

They are all in pots, flat on my desk or snug in my Nock Lookout ready to be picked up at a whim.

If I get a new ink, like today, I'll "feel" which pen would suit it and reload.

For example, my Taranis now has Diamine China White in it and will be getting tons of use - gutted I only bought a 30ml bottle :( , it's gorgeously delicate and really easy on the eye. :)