Pilot Custom Heritage 92 - 3 In A Series Of 3

TheGreatRoe

3 Recent Pen Acquisitions

1. Monteverde Tool Pen: Tries too hard

2. Omas 360: Doesn’t try hard enough

3. Pilot Custom Heritage 92: Juuuuust right

Pilot Custom Heritage 92

Orange Demonstrator

For a while I had a blue Pilot Custom 74. The M nib was a bit thick, but I loved everything about it except the converter. That damned CON-70 converter was a huge pain. That button converter was hard to fill, and cleaning it I wasted so much water I started to feel guilty about ruining the environment. I tried the pen with a CON-50, but what’s the point of a demonstrator if you can’t see the ink? So I sold it. But I kept thinking about it.

Now the Custom Heritage 92 was an intriguing pen, but the price for it here in the US seemed a little high for what you get. But another review hinted at a much lower price, buying direct from Japan, so I went prowling. I found several on ebay for $99 less than anything I could find in the US--plus I had my choice of two colors and a wider variety of nibs. I got the orange with a FM nib.

post-97570-0-90456900-1403921729_thumb.jpg

Overall: 9.6/10

For me, this pen is as close to a perfect EDC as there is. It has a nice size and weight, the piston is greased lightning, and the 14k FM nib is the best nib I’ve ever tried right out of the box.

Appearance: 9/10

I’m not actually a big demonstrator fan--they usually look cheap and plasticy to me. But this one looks great. I particularly like the smoky finial and piston knob. And the silver tone accents look great with the orange body.

Construction: 9/10

This is a well-built pen. The only knock I have is screwing the cap on. Although I haven’t had a problem, it feels like it wouldn’t be all that difficult to over tighten the cap and damage something.

Filling: 10/10

Flat out the best piston I’ve come across.

Nib: 10/10

Nib width is such a personal thing. And many of my pens have a nib that is just a bit too wide, or narrow, for my taste. The FM is just perfect, and the 14k nib has just the right amount of give to cushion my writing and give some decent variation. This one has no need, at all, to visit the nibmeister.

Test Drive: 10/10

Perfect. Seriously. Emotionally, this is not my favorite pen. But taking emotion out of it--simply looking at it from a practical angle--this is the best pen I own.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ipinkgirl

• lehrer07

• Blue_Moon

• TheGreatRoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've the 'clear' version with a F nib and it's a fabulous pen.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'll have to revisit mine. I also recently bought the PCH 92. I scribbled a few lines and just put it away.

I love this pen too. I bought the clear demo & loved it so much that I bought 1 of each colour. The only problem is I now struggle to use my other pens.

Yes - my 92 (clear) with FM nib is a really super pen. Very functional and well made, and the springy nib is a delight. I even like the #5 nib, which balances the body of the pen perfectly.

I love Pilot pens and have a fair number. I'm eyeing up an 823 with either an FA or WA nib next - bit pricey though

Verba volant, scripta manent

• 1 month later...

This pen is going on my to buy list...which means I'll be buying it in the next week or so. I'm such a fan of Pilot pens and this will be my first in the PC universe. I already have a Vanishing Point, but it will be nice to try out one of their larger nibbed pens. So far, every Pilot I've purchased has been an awesome writer out of the box. However, I plan to get the pen in a broad nib (or medium if I can't find the broad). I've been very happy with the medium nib, but considering I just ordered by Hobonichi last night, this will be perfect for use in that. Now to just choose an ink...

I have a 91 with a FM nib and a 912 with a SFM nib, and I really love them both. The 92 is similar to the 91, I think, it just exchanges the converter for the piston. Ink volume isn't usually too big of an issue for me, because I usually get bored and want to change before I run out, so the 91 suits my needs. +1 for the Con-70 being a PITA, though. :angry:

Edited by mtnbiker62

I cannot decide between Pilot 912, Pilot 823, or the Pilot 92. I don’t mind using a C/C and my budget is up to $300 for one of those and 1-2 bottles of Iroshizuku or Sailor ink.

Of my Japanese pens, I most enjoy using my Sailor 1911 Realo B, Pilot 91 BB, and my Platinum #3776 Sai Century M.

I have a 91 with a FM nib and a 912 with a SFM nib, and I really love them both. The 92 is similar to the 91, I think, it just exchanges the converter for the piston. Ink volume isn't usually too big of an issue for me, because I usually get bored and want to change before I run out, so the 91 suits my needs. +1 for the Con-70 being a PITA, though. :angry:

The Con-70 PITA converter is the one thing I hate about some Pilot pens. A friend has one in a PCH something and she HATES it. All of my other Pilot pens are either Con-50 or Con-20 (also no love, but better than the 70). I write with at least 4 - 5 pens a day (match notebook to pen to ink...it's a weakness) so having one pen that keeps the same ink for a while is fine.

I cannot decide between Pilot 912, Pilot 823, or the Pilot 92. I don’t mind using a C/C and my budget is up to $300 for one of those and 1-2 bottles of Iroshizuku or Sailor ink.

Of my Japanese pens, I most enjoy using my Sailor 1911 Realo B, Pilot 91 BB, and my Platinum #3776 Sai Century M.

I'm definitely going with the Pilot 92...the question now is do a go with Clear, Black Smoke or Blue? I'm leaning towards clear because then any ink can be used...If I go with black smoke or blue, I'm locked in to just shades of blue or black/grey.

I'm definitely going with the Pilot 92...the question now is do a go with Clear, Black Smoke or Blue? I'm leaning towards clear because then any ink can be used...If I go with black smoke or blue, I'm locked in to just shades of blue or black/grey.

Break out of your shell! Go with black and hit it with some Diamine Oxblood or some Iroshizuku Yama-Budo. Live a little!

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I hope some day I can own a Pilot piston filler. I ordered a Custom 74 from Rakuten, after I flirted a big with the Custom Heritage 91. Now I guess I prefer the more vintage looks than the more modern ones in your pen. It is funny because one day I woke up and I changed my mind completely.

I ended up going with a Pilot Custom 823 in amber. Should be arriving today from Goulet.

As for which 92 to get, I’d say Clear or Black Smoke.

I ended up going with a Pilot Custom 823 in amber. Should be arriving today from Goulet.

As for which 92 to get, I’d say Clear or Black Smoke.

Take Pics and show writing sample, please. I look at the 823 daily, but I just haven't pushed the button yet.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I ended up ordering the PCH92 in clear (just couldn't get beyond the colored clear body and matching the ink) annnddd the PCH91 (in black). The 91 arrived today in its soft medium nib bed goodness and it's already inked with some take-sumi. I'm taking recommendations on the first ink to put in the 92 however... Fair warning I don't have Oxblood, yet.

Edited by ipinkgirl