Daily Writer Experienced Suggestions

Roaster

OK, so I am a coffee roaster, by way of a trade.

Since I was headhunted by a large company (Hint we make KCups) I have continued to write with my beloved fountain pen(s).

Given the amount of times a night I fill in a form, sign or initial something, or make a note I probably cap and uncap a pen 120+ times a night.

I have burned out a couple of Lamy Safari's and a much enjoyed Conklin Mark Twain.

The capping/uncapping frequency is the main issue.

I prefer a F nib and write with an assortment of 'IT MUST BE BLUE INK' inks.

So, does anyone have Experience in dealing with such an abusive pattern on a pen and had good results?

I have thought of getting a Visconti Homo Sapien as the thread int he pen looks heavy duty.

I don't like the gel or rollerball pens most of my colleagues use but also don't want to burn through a pen every 3 or 4 months either.

I go home a see my Conklin and feel bad for it, although it did give me good service for longer than the others, but I feel bad.

Any thoughts??

Jim

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roaster

• dneal

• ajcoleman

• Keyless Works

I also recommend the Pilot Vanishing Point with the click mechanism -- extending the nib is like you would with many push button bp pens. Retail for new pens is about $140 from many sources; if you buy from Richard Binder he'll also check out the nib so that you're assured it is in good writing condition. Although to be honest, of my 4 VP, 2 were purchased from other retailers who I don't think do that and the pens wrote great straight out of the box.

For ink, I'd suggest the Pilot blue ink; you can get a 70 ml bottle from JetPens for $16.50: http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Fountain-Pen-Ink-70-ml-Bottle-Blue/pd/3994

Numerous reviews of this ink here on FPN describe its performance -- including significant water resistance, which may be useful to you?

Best,

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

The Pilot VP is a good solution with respect to uncapping (are there any other options?) and a very well made pen but don't forget that many people are irritated by the clip (not me).

The Pilot VP is a good solution with respect to uncapping (are there any other options?) and a very well made pen but don't forget that many people are irritated by the clip (not me).

Go on.

If you've worn out the capping mechanism on two pens (the lamy and the conklin are push-on caps correct?) can't you just have the internal plastic replaced at a fairly low to insignificant price?

As I understand it, on push-cap pens this is a part that is pretty much guaranteed to wear out and thus very simple to replace.

Another VP fan. I've had mine for about six months and love it. Like someone else said, though, the placement of the clip bothers some people. I'm fine with the clip.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

The one thing that has always put me off the VP is it really isn't a nice looking pen. Haven't you considered something like an M200 as they are very durable.

The Pilot VP is an option. Another is a Pilot Elite 95S. The cap doesn't have any detents to wear out. It's solely friction fit and smoothly pulls away and posts.

Otherwise, a screw-on cap that doesn't require a bunch of twists (like Pelikan).

I would say a VP or a Lamy 2000. The Lamy uses metal instead of plastic for the snap mechanism so it should last.

I would say a VP or a Lamy 2000. The Lamy uses metal instead of plastic for the snap mechanism so it should last.

I second this. Both a very durable pens that can take a beating and come out the victor. And I think they both look quite snazzy, in an understated way. :-)

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

Pens are made for writing. Which of your pens is most comfortable to use ? If you use the pen 120 times in one evening,

capping the pen fully in between may not be necessary. Just slip the pen loosely into the cap between uses. How do you

feel about a desk pen ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Parker 51 would be perfect for you. It has a slip cap and it's built like a tank.

Edited by cellmatrix

The Parker 51 & 61 with their slip caps are made for this type of use.

I wear out a cap click on Parker Vector in 6 months, because I cap/uncap every time I pause for thought. My first P61 lasted 25 years, and the cap retention mechanism wasn't the bit that failed - I just wore the rest of the pen out.

Regards,

Richard.

Consider the Visconti Rembrant or Van Gogh. They have a magentic cap that doesn't require you to press it on. Much less wear and tear and there is a nice, satisfying "click" as the cap's magnet pulls in the body. They have nice nibs and use standard converters and cartridges.

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

My personal experience would support a Lamy 2000 or a VP, and also a Parker 51, 45, or 75 if you don't mind older pens. A good screw-cap is essentially unkillable unless you yank the cap in a moment of forgetfulness, so a Pelikan of some sort between M100 and M1000 would probably also serve if the action doesn't annoy. There's a Franklin-Christoph or two which use magnetic caps; my only example from them doesn't have this feature, but I'm impressed enough by it to suggest looking in their direction.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Pilot capless/VP decimo unless you like the colors given to you on the capless/VP line I honestly wouldnt know as I'm more into the simple mechanics for my Japanese pens capped... I'm not sure how you would like the feel of the PIlot Custom its a snapcap successor to the PIlot Calemo competitor to Platinum's PTL-10000/PTL-5000 and Sailor's discontinued P-55 and these pens are kind of robust enough anyway if you like springy nibs as they all sport the same nib design in 14kt gold except the P-55 which is steel probably

Edited by Algester

My personal experience would support a Lamy 2000 or a VP, and also a Parker 51, 45, or 75 if you don't mind older pens. A good screw-cap is essentially unkillable unless you yank the cap in a moment of forgetfulness, so a Pelikan of some sort between M100 and M1000 would probably also serve if the action doesn't annoy. There's a Franklin-Christoph or two which use magnetic caps; my only example from them doesn't have this feature, but I'm impressed enough by it to suggest looking in their direction.

Very good call. I didn't even think about that.

For the OP - It's the Franklin Christoph Model 29 http://www.franklin-christoph.com/model-29-bellus.html

A click cap is going to wear out. I think that is inevitable. it would be nice if that cap liner were easily replaceable, but I am not sure it is, at least by the user. It may worth contacting Conklin to see if they can service this, but that is a temporary solution at best.

I can't comment on the Visconti you mention, but I have a Levenger Truewriter whose twist cap has very course, heavy threads. It may be possible to wear these out, but I am pretty sure my wrist would go first! With an easily replaced converter and replaceable nibs, there is no reason such a pen wouldn't last a lifetime and then some, no matter how many times you uncap it.

The slip cap pens Ernst mentioned are also a good option. Many have reported decades of use from 45's and 51's. A Lamy 2000 may not be indestructible, but it is apparently close. I suspect the piston fill mechanism would need serviced before the cap would give any issues.

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2