#1 Spaj

Spaj

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2014 - 19:40

Had the pleasure of finally visiting Novelli Pens and Pipes in Rome today. Tried a number of pens and eventually left the store with a broad nibbed Visconti Home Sapiens in steel. Dereck (English grandfather) showed me a number of pens and was very clearly motivated by making sure I was happy with my purchase. So refreshing to deal with a retailer driven by customer satisfaction. 10 out of 10! No affiliation at all just wanting to share a very positive experience.

#2 gclyn

gclyn

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2014 - 19:51

Wow, that's great to hear you had such a great experience.  You will love the Homo Sapiens.  I have the bronze version with Fine nib and love it.  The most important thing though is that you left with a pen you are comfortable with and will want to pick and write with.

#3 gerigo

gerigo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2014 - 20:27

I am curious whether stores like Novelli has unique to Italy products? Or whether their product line essentially are the same as the B&M stores in the US?

Perusing their website has me believing they either have a treasure trove of product only available in Italy or they have unprecedented access to Italian manufacturers.

#4 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2014 - 20:42

I have no first hand experience with them, except for some contact about a new pen, which was conducted in a pleasant way.

I have got a very good pen shop close by, but I would not hesitate buying from Novelli.

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#5 kulindi

kulindi

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2014 - 23:02

I visited Marco in Novelli about 3 years ago and also bought a Homo Sapiens Bronze with medium nib...Very happy with the purchase and he was a pleasure to deal with.

#6 jchch1950

jchch1950

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:16

I have been a long time client and I always look to go back.They have a huge selection  of pens and they will try to get you any pen you want,

#7 bmwboris

bmwboris

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:44

I have bought a number of pens from Marco over the years and have always found him knowledgeable and extremely helpful

An absolute gentleman to deal with!!!!

#8 fabri00

fabri00

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2014 - 18:51

I am curious whether stores like Novelli has unique to Italy products? Or whether their product line essentially are the same as the B&M stores in the US?

Perusing their website has me believing they either have a treasure trove of product only available in Italy or they have unprecedented access to Italian manufacturers.

As far as I know, what you describe is a dream.
I'm not aware of any shop in Italy having unique and/or exclusive products.
The only exception could be a limited serie of pens which a shop could have asked to some italian producer. But in this case, it will be one pen, not one serie of pens, or a whole brand.

#9 Spaj

Spaj

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2014 - 20:03

Agreed. Visited 2 other stores in Rome, both with a wide selection of brands, but neither offered anything exclusive to Italy as far as I could see.

#10 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:35

As far as I know, what you describe is a dream.
I'm not aware of any shop in Italy having unique and/or exclusive products.
The only exception could be a limited serie of pens which a shop could have asked to some italian producer. But in this case, it will be one pen, not one serie of pens, or a whole brand.

Novelli have done several store specific LE's. However, many non-Italian shops have also done this with various Italian pen makers - most noteably Chatterley Pens (based in the US) who have far more special edition pens than any other shop I know of.

#11 fabri00

fabri00

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:52

Novelli have done several store specific LE's. However, many non-Italian shops have also done this with various Italian pen makers - most noteably Chatterley Pens (based in the US) who have far more special edition pens than any other shop I know of.

Yes, this is a common practice, as I said: ask to some producer to make a limited serie, to celebrate anniversaries, or similar occasions.
But this is different from having access to full range pf products of italian minor manufactors.

#12 Quadratus

Quadratus

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2014 - 20:16

While on holiday in Italy this summer, I visited Novelli's, searching for a Delta "dolce vita" slim fountain pen with their fusion 18 carat nib.

I can say without hesitation that Novelli's provided excellent service and offered a vast range of pens, (including the one I had been looking for). An added bonus was the ability to discuss different models without pressure or "hard sell", and being able to try different nibs at leisure. It helped that I speak quite fluent Italian but I am sure from other reviews that the owners of this wonderful shop would have been able to provide a great service in English (and no doubt in French). Finally there was the excellent price for the Delta pen: I went to the other pen shop near the Pantheon recommended by other reviewers but have to say that the prices there were very much matching the tourist centre of the location. My Delta pen (easily one of the best I have ever bought) was more than 100 Euros cheaper at Novelli's which gives you some idea of the mark-up some "Centro Storico" shops indulge in.

All in all, I cannot recommend Novelli's more enthusiastically. It is a "must" for any pen lover.