Some Nib Swaps And A Jif

zap210

So I thought I would post some of my nib swaps I have done over the years.

This one, a Muji, was done about a week ago. I had three Bock 76 titanium broad nibs and thought I would see how the Bock performed.

post-45471-0-45565000-1403394672.jpg

post-45471-0-45787800-1403394683.jpg

I think its a bit too much for the pen. Too traditional looking for such a modern design. A MB Slimline or Lamy Safari would fit the overall theme much better. Hard to find Slimline nibs and feeds these days. Frankly I would not do this again. There was quite a bit of work fitting the Bock unit in the section designed for a Schmitt. The nib is a bit too wide and long which required further work. The nib and feed slits had to be widened for the broad and it only writes without skipping if a cartridge is fitted. This is an eyedropper, so I cut the back of the cartridge off and left the front fitted. I also had to do quite a bit of tip work on the nib. I think I will sell the other two nibs. The Bock titaniums are not my cup of tea. Too flexible and the nib setup is finicky.

Next is my long term Aurora 88 modifications. I have had trouble with the first model feed design since I started writing with them in the 60's. After many mods here is my final solution. A Lamy Safari broad nib and feed.

post-45471-0-32237800-1403394695.jpg

post-45471-0-75195400-1403394705.jpg

post-45471-0-55727900-1403394720.jpg

Although I had to ream out the section to fit the larger Lamy feed, this pen writes beautifully and will not blot. Perhaps not as elegant as the original nib profile, but not too bad either. Nib replacement is as easy as the original. If only I could find some gold Safari nibs.

And next is an old experiment that went right. A long time ago, I had a Shaeffer triumph nib in my parts box gathering dust and I had just purchased a Pelikan MK30 at the local art supply store. I did not like the Pelikan at all and decided rather than toss the piece of junk I would graft the triumph nib on it. Even though the cap has seen better days and has been much repaired over the years, this is one of my all time favorite pens. I did have to replace the piston this year, which was a bit of work designing, but its all back together and is a fantastic writer.

post-45471-0-01222500-1403394731.jpg

post-45471-0-03570700-1403394743.jpg

post-45471-0-71109300-1403394750.jpg

Last up is a Waterman Jif which I have not modified because there is no point tampering with perfection. This version of the Jif may be one of the best pens ever made (as I have mentioned on other posts). Too bad it was only made in the 80's for a short time.

post-45471-0-58629600-1403394761.jpg

post-45471-0-39468300-1403394773.jpg

That's all for now.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sotto2

• zap210

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for not providing any writing samples. I hate it when people talk about nib performance and then provide writing samples. :P

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg