#1 miguelgoncalves

miguelgoncalves

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2014 - 21:24

Just received a Lamy 2000 with a broad nib. I just bought it because it's an iconic pen and I really like the design but...

Being used to pens that are not that nib heavy (the metal part covering the nib on this Lamy makes it heavy IMO) I find the pen behavior a bit strange… It seems the pen is always being pushed onto the paper and my hand has to make the effort to separate it from the paper.

Any Lamy 2000 owners feel this way?

#2 AustinMalone1999

AustinMalone1999

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2014 - 22:23

Are you by any chance a recent fountain pen convert? This quality is usually more desirable than say back weight. Personally I don't feel like it takes much effort, but you may just not like this pen. You might sell or trade it for say a Parker 51. That effort may also be because of the stub nib although the corners are generally pretty smooth the way Lamy grinds their broad 2000 nibs may be causing digging into the paper at the end of a sidestroke.

Edited by AustinMalone1999, 18 June 2014 - 22:23.

#3 miguelgoncalves

miguelgoncalves

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2014 - 22:31

No… Long time fountain pen user here :-)

I don't like back heavy also but a more balanced pen would be better.

Sometimes I am not used to this kind of behavior. I will try to get used to it.

My bigger M1000 feels like a feather compared to this Lamy. 

#4 lisantica

lisantica

Extremely Rare

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2014 - 21:37

Any Lamy 2000 owners feel this way?

I can't say I share the same experience, but I did certainly take a while to warm up to the pen.

In fact, I sent my first one back as it reminded me of a black felt tip marker I had used in the past.

But on second try, I was hooked.

I do like a pen that writes effortlessly on the paper which the broad LAMY does for me.  I have a fine nib LAMY and it takes a bit more pressure.

Give it some time or possibly try a finer nibbed version.

Keep us posted as to what you ultimately decide.

~ Justifying pen purchases since 2013 ~

#5 EBV

EBV

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 14:28

It takes some time for me to get used to the pen as I tend to hold the lower part of the section. With the hooded nib design, I couldn't see where the nib is and it makes writing a bit difficult the first few days I have the pen. 

"We are here on earth to help others, what the others are here for I have no idea" - W.H. Auden

Lamy 2000 (M), Al-Star (M), Vista (1.1 stub); Montblanc Meisterstuck 146 (Broad), 149 (M); Pelikan M1000 (Broad); Pilot Metal Falcon (SEF), Custom 92 (F); 
Porsche Design P'3310 (M); Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Oversized (M), Homo Sapiens Steel Midi (M), Opera Club (F), Van Gogh (M)

#6 ac12

ac12

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2014 - 18:41

Yes the Lamy 2000 is a bit heavy, for me.

Mine weighed approx 25 grams.

My standard writing pens are down at about 15 grams (Parker 51, 45 and Classic)

> It seems the pen is always being pushed onto the paper and my hand has to make the effort to separate it from the paper. <

Is this on the down-stroke, up-stroke or side-stroke?

Some times stroke direction causes you to change your pen pressure.

Check that you are not rotating the pen. 

If you rotate the pen and this happens on the up-stroke or side-stroke, then the corner of the nib will dig into the paper.  Or once you are off the sweet spot of the nib, you get less ink flow and thus less ink lubrication and more drag.

BTW it is very easy to rotate the pen without being aware of it.  I did it often with the L2000, and I do it often with my Parker 51.  This is simply because you do not have a good visual reference on the nib.

Where do you grip the pen?

I hold my 2000 with my fingers just above the section and below the ears that hold on the cap, and my thumb above the ears.  The balance feels fine there.

Where you hold the pen with your fingers and where it rests on your hand affects how the balance feels.  If you have big hands, the balance point will likely be more towards your finger than just below where it rests on your hand.

I have a small hand, so the opposite happens to me.  Many pens feel back heavy when posted.