#1 therealjamesg

therealjamesg

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:04

I was just having a browse last night and was struck by the massive price range of the Lamy Safari on EBay: http://www.ebay.co.u...ain pen&_sop=16

Do people actually pay 200 bucks for these? Even in the middle of the range there's Buy it Now's for 60 bucks!!! 

slashwhatever.comwww.slashwhatever.com

#2 erpe

erpe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:01

There seem to be quite a few collectible Safari's out there. Even some pens that are not (anymore) available in some countries but are regulars for regular prices in German stores. Some money can be made with these items and in E-bay, if you write RARE!!! loud enough, some people might actually fall for it and pay "top Dollar". ;)

#3 The Blue Knight

The Blue Knight

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:06

I am banking on this to get rid of my Neon Safari I will probably sell it in a years or two's timefor the £15 I paid for it hopefully. 

#4 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,641 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:34

Has anyone told you that collectors are crazy ?  A LAMY Safari "writer" pen is good value around $35.  

There are many subtle and non-subtle features for which collectors are willing to pay a premium.  It can get quite crazy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#5 setriode

setriode

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:28

There is great price variation even on current models. eBay seller Lupitalamos in Malaysia is who I buy from. The post is a little slow but his prices are good and I have used him many times.

#6 superglueshoe

superglueshoe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:10

Usually only about 4 things vary.

Clip - Black/Silver

End Cap - Black cross/Same colour as body

Body Colour

Nib- Black/Silver

All Lamy has to do is vary one of those things from the standard set up and it becomes rare. Thus they can charge you more :P. Personally their LE colours don't really appeal to me. I've only ever liked the bright yellow one.

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,804 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2014 - 19:52

I had a conversation last night with a friend and another acquaintance.  They have gotten involved with a hobby that makes pen collectors positively conservative in comparison....  Collector fashion dolls.  One of them sold some woman an outfit she made for some posable doll -- for something like $850 US!  

Apparently some of these collectors spend all their days changing the outfits on their dolls.  I was just sitting there blinking....

I mean, pens are actually useful....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."