Opinions, Please, On This Auction

betweenthelens

FWIW, I don't think you have much to worry about.....if you're buying through ebay and pay with paypal, you're protected in case of fraud with sale...

Seller has 4,101 feedbacks and 100% positive rating...

After looking at listing and see all the photos pen assembled and dissassemble, I don't think I'd worry about this....

Just my 2¢..... :)

Mark

Thanks, Mark.

I just looked - what a beautiful pen, including that flexible nib!

Right? ;)

Life is full of unresolved issues. If there was a "no return" policy, I could understand the hesitancy. In this case, if the pen really is something you'd like, it certainly seems worth taking a leap of faith (seeing as how this seller has a sterling reputation). A beautiful pen, best of luck.

Thanks, Jon.

It certainly is a beautiful pen. I understand now why you collect Bayards if they look like *that*....

As for the listing in question, dunno what to tell you. It might be a deal, it might not be. And what Chrissy said is true -- questions don't necessarily get posted. Or (in some cases, in my experience) even answered.

I've mostly done well on Ebay but have gotten burned a few times, most recently when the seller answered someone else's question -- which *was* posted -- and I found the answer to be ranging from "somewhat incorrect" to "complete falsehood" to "seller is a moron who should leave pen sales to other people who have at least one brain cell full of clue"; and I failed to ask some more pertinent questions about condition, which has lead me to being sort of bitten in the butt -- so my $85 (with shipping) pen may end up costing a lot more in repair than I had anticipated. :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thank you, Ruth. My loveliest Bayard to date is the Red Ripple with dragonfly clip. The questions I asked were sent, as usual, via message and not posted in the auction so the seller chose not to include my messages in the public page of the auction. I've not yet been burned on ebay but there's always that chance.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• betweenthelens

• hari317

• Sinistral1

• JonSzanto

After looking at the ad and reviewing the pictures, I really can not understand, or even imagine why the seller is unwilling to take or send images with the hallmark.

It doesn't make any sense to me. The pictures are beautiful and the one with the pen disassembled is very impressive.

So why no pictures?

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

After looking at the ad and reviewing the pictures, I really can not understand, or even imagine why the seller is unwilling to take or send images with the hallmark.

It doesn't make any sense to me. The pictures are beautiful and the one with the pen disassembled is very impressive.

So why no pictures?

Don't know. It makes no sense to me, either.

FWIW, I don't think you have much to worry about.....if you're buying through ebay and pay with paypal, you're protected in case of fraud with sale...

Seller has 4,101 feedbacks and 100% positive rating...

After looking at listing and see all the photos pen assembled and dissassemble, I don't think I'd worry about this....

Just my 2¢..... :)

Mark

^^^^ That there, what Mark said.

I see nothing there that would dissuade me from bidding. You have also done a good job of documenting your hallmark concerns should that turn out to be an issue after all.

That listing quality (even including the English) is in the top 5% IMO. We should all be so lucky as to have those pics on a listing we're interested in. Speaking of English and perhaps the hallmark confusion, the seller is Czech. His English is an order of magnitude better than my Czech.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I bet the seller is thinking "how dare she question my listing!" I'd go for it, after all you're protected by Ebay if there's a misrepresentation. The seller is probably just being pompous.

@arts_nibs

ROLL THE DICE! Bid your max and enjoy the pen or wish you had won it. Unless you get an obvious fake, it is certainly worth the current bidding price, hallmark in question or not. At worst, you may pay only what it is actually worth. At best, you get a great deal! When do you expect to see something like this again? Life is full of risk, take the risk and gamble just a little.

[color=#444444][size=2][left]In this age of text, twitter, skype and email, receiving a good old-fashioned hand-written letter feels just like a warm hug.[/left][/size][/color][img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/img]

One last thought: being that the absolute worst thing that can happen is to have to pay return postage if you aren't satisfied, if this pen get away and it was all it should be, it will be one of those pen deals that a person can regret for a long, long time. Doesn't look like a pen that is going to appear too often, so go boldly, etc.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

at the end of the day, i'd have only one question: how badly do i want this pen? i've dealt with far less responsive and far less helpful sellers, but i got the pen i wanted.

Check out my blog and my pens

at the end of the day, i'd have only one question: how badly do i want this pen? i've dealt with far less responsive and far less helpful sellers, but i got the pen i wanted.

Agreed. That's it. Thank you.

One last thought: being that the absolute worst thing that can happen is to have to pay return postage if you aren't satisfied, if this pen get away and it was all it should be, it will be one of those pen deals that a person can regret for a long, long time. Doesn't look like a pen that is going to appear too often, so go boldly, etc.

True. Thank you.

ROLL THE DICE! Bid your max and enjoy the pen or wish you had won it. Unless you get an obvious fake, it is certainly worth the current bidding price, hallmark in question or not. At worst, you may pay only what it is actually worth. At best, you get a great deal! When do you expect to see something like this again? Life is full of risk, take the risk and gamble just a little.

True. Thank you.

I bet the seller is thinking "how dare she question my listing!" I'd go for it, after all you're protected by Ebay if there's a misrepresentation. The seller is probably just being pompous.

Thanks! I'm not sure what they're thinking. My belief, when selling online, is to provide the prospective buyer with everything that might lead to a sale. This guy has no idea how much I'm willing to plunk down and perhaps he just doesn't care. (I actually don't know if I'm going to bid on this, and if I do bid, I don't know what my limit will be, especially since I've most recently found and won my grail pen (the Red Ripple Bayard with dragonfly clip).

^^^^ That there, what Mark said.

I see nothing there that would dissuade me from bidding. You have also done a good job of documenting your hallmark concerns should that turn out to be an issue after all.

That listing quality (even including the English) is in the top 5% IMO. We should all be so lucky as to have those pics on a listing we're interested in. Speaking of English and perhaps the hallmark confusion, the seller is Czech. His English is an order of magnitude better than my Czech.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thank you, Bruce.

Lahlahlaw: Not to change the subject or anything, but do you own a descendant of the Taco Bell dog? Regardless of his/her ancestors, it's a cute pooch!

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

So, did you win it?

I didn't bid on it. I consoled myself with another pen, a Bayard LE 8, and I have yet another Bayard waiting at the post office for me.

;)