• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mardi13

• Ambien

• OcalaFlGuy

• white_lotus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are quite a lot of CSs on the Bay right now, and some with really low starting bids. Bung them all into your watch list and keep and eye out. Could get lucky!

I think these listings only help the seller: the more pen collectors do the bidding the higher the selling price. I am a buyer, not a seller, so I am not too enthusiastic about these postings. Still, most people seem to like them!

I have watched almost every item that has been on every list close. IMO, Most close Around market values.

Saturday and Sunday are Already the 2 days out of 7 with the Absolute Highest traffic of buyers. If you are a collector looking for a pen you should Already be unhappy seeing it close on a Sat or Sun as This List or not, your competition for the item is Already at it's heaviest.
IF I am Really Looking for any certain pen, all else being equal, I'll AVOID Saturday and Sunday listings for that reason alone for MY own pens.
At the same time it hasn't that I've seen, affected the close prices much, it also hasn't helped EVERYTHING sale. There is what I feel is a perfectly good P-51 Mk III that is on the list for the second time, it didn't even get a single bid at $65 shipped it's first time there. It was relisted, I think it's a decent enough deal, and it's on the list again today. I still wouldn't be shocked to see it go unsold. Yes bid wars happen on Ebay but I don't think they REALLY affect the close price as Much or as Often as most people think they do. At the same time, I knew a Lot of our members Would look at Saturday and Sunday's listings, with this list or without. If this list helps keep Someone off the Fleabay rocks for 24 hrs that works for me.
Giovanni, one Strong reason For this listing list may not be so obvious.
I was getting really bummed out seeing some of the poor pens our newer members were buying on The Bay Especially after seeing some of the listings they came from. :(
Friends don't let Friends braille bid.
I won't say every listing here is a Jim and Sandy Ros7261 or a TBickiii quality listing, but I purposely pick them for being Better than Most. It's an attempt to both show what a nice listing Should look like and also what one with the minimalist amount of info one might consider before bidding is like. I have purposely avoided including the Worst quality listings they shouldn't buy Anything from and some of the pretty but perhaps more troublesome pen models that also might make for a more likely Ebay disappointment. I also interject here and there some questions for potential bidders to ask sellers both for That listing and on perhaps future unclear listings for the same model pen.
ALL these listings are found with just the search value of "fountain pen". There have been Several decent pens shown here with just the Worst "Parker fountain pen" title that very few FPNers are going to have the patience or time to dig through to find.
Yes, people seem to enjoy looking at them, I suspect kind of a Sears and Roebuck catalog of Fleabay listings in the bathroom if you will, And some people seem to be getting at least IMO, some decent enough deals.
Bruce in Ocala, Fl

You're welcome. Some times I wish all sellers would add writing samples to their auctions. I know it's not always 100% accurate but at least I'd get a better sense of the linewidth and if it actually writes.

I had a seller last week ask me what I meant by "tines" when I asked the condition of the nib and tipping (Even when I wasn't into FPs I *was* familiar with the term. You know, from... forks.... :wallbash: So it's a lovely idea (I wish it happened too) but I'm less optimistic of seeing it.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Inspired by this post (after combing through the items I wanted/had a chance of affording) I was inspired to keep digging for other treasures. I ran across a Sterling Cislele Parker 75 fountain pen with a 14K fine nib. What really caught my attention was a comment in the description in which the seller mentioned having several of these, all from the same estate. Curiosity piqued, I looked at their store. What I found both took my breath away to see, and broke my heart to know that the items would almost certainly go to different homes.

http://stores.ebay.com/nostalgiana-store/Other-/_i.html?_fsub=1&_dmd=1&_nkw=Parker

http://www.nerdtests.com/images/ft/nq/9df5e10593.gif

-- Avatar Courtesy of Brian Goulet of Goulet Pens (thank you for allowing people to use the logo Brian!) --

There are quite a lot of CSs on the Bay right now, and some with really low starting bids. Bung them all into your watch list and keep and eye out. Could get lucky!

Haha, so it goes. I've watched a few more pens so here's to better luck next time. At least we know there's always something interesting around eBay.

Edit: I got the matte black sheaffer targa at least.

Edited by Csrae

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

Someone got the brown Estie J for $16.99 shipped. Total of 3 bids. Doesn't sound like this post pushed up the price here. I considered biding, but I already have a brown J and am looking at something else...

Not sure what I might have missed, these weren't on Bruce's list, but the sellers says the jewels were intact, no cracks. Nibs seem OK.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380923982816

So I throw in a bid and go to bed thinking I probably won't get them. Wake up this morning to winning 5 Esties for all of $40+shipping! :yikes:

Woah, I had no idea you did this, Bruce. I may have to check the boards on the weekends for a while. :) This is a great way to find the decent buys out there. Now, if I saw listings from my own top secret search criteria... then I'd be worried. I don't generally bid on auctions such as these, but it *is* cool to be able to page through them all and consider the possibilities.... and it's a much nicer experience than rummaging through the pages on my own. This is like a friend pointing out that, no, you should be looking *here*, this is where they keep the good stuff.

Edit: I got the matte black sheaffer targa at least.

A clean Matte Black Targa with a 14k nib for a whole $37 shipped?

Yeah, no one's going to argue against that one... ;) (You have some feathers on the edge of your mouth there... :lol: )

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Well, I asked for a more accurate measure on #73 & 74. Just out of curiosity... no reply as yet...

It never hurts to ask.

In this case though, the seller has over 15,000 feedbacks. That's a SERIOUS Fleabay business. Those sellers are often, like many businesses, Mon-Fri at least when it comes to customer contacts.

Someone with a couple hundred or less, you are more likely to hear back from on the weekend.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Okay. 'Fess up, whoever you are. :glare:

I wanna know who sniped me on the auction for the Morrison with the gf overlay that ended last night. The one with the sweet looking broad-ish nib. Five seconds. Five d*mned seconds and it would have been mine....

It went for under $38. Someone got a deal, even with it probably needing a new sac. Just not me. :crybaby: (So someone tell me again how by Bruce doing this it helps the sellers?)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

A clean Matte Black Targa with a 14k nib for a whole $37 shipped?

Yeah, no one's going to argue against that one... ;) (You have some feathers on the edge of your mouth there... :lol: )

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thanks, hopefully the pen will be a good writer ;)

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

Not sure what I might have missed, these weren't on Bruce's list, but the sellers says the jewels were intact, no cracks. Nibs seem OK.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380923982816

So I throw in a bid and go to bed thinking I probably won't get them. Wake up this morning to winning 5 Esties for all of $40+shipping! :yikes:

I totally tried to snipe that for $39.02 last night in an attempt to get four (don't care for the advertising one) Esties for $40. Congrats on the purchase.

I totally tried to snipe that for $39.02 last night in an attempt to get four (don't care for the advertising one) Esties for $40. Congrats on the purchase.

Thanks. Hopefully no hard feelings. Now that I'll have two Black Esties with company names on them (this one and a Bell Labs one) I'll have to start collecting others, right? Was there anything special in that lot you were trying to get? PM me if there was. Maybe we can work something out.

cheryl

Thanks. Hopefully no hard feelings. Now that I'll have two Black Esties with company names on them (this one and a Bell Labs one) I'll have to start collecting others, right? Was there anything special in that lot you were trying to get? PM me if there was. Maybe we can work something out.

cheryl

Of course no hard feelings. I have been watching your forum comments for a few months so I know you will enjoy the Esties. The orange J was the one that really caught my eye but I don't have room to love another pen. Heck, I'm trying to smooth off my collection as it is. Thank you for the offer and I hope you give each one of those beauties a little love from a guy who missed them by a few bucks.

Thanks, I'll do my best on fixing them up! I've done a number of sac replacements. j-bars come next.