Photo

Soennecken 111 Extra Sans Click Mechanism?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Keyless Works

Keyless Works

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 13:03

Does anyone know if Soennecken made the 111 Extra without the click mechanism? I was told the earlier ones did not have them but I wonder if when the mechanism breaks it could be misconstrued as a standard piston filler.

Also the Soenneckens I have owned from the 50s are brightly colored with beautiful patterns and I wonder how much less an all black 111 extra would be worth.

#2 playtime

playtime

Flexible

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 13:38

I believe that the Soennecken 1 Extra, an export model of the 111, was a straight piston filler......

I have a 420 whose click mechanism is disabled - now a pure piston filler....

as to value of the black? maybe less so - but the 111 extra is so uncommon that Id guess the difference between the two would be small.....

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"Lacking data, like any good social scientist I was free to make stuff up; but as a scholar and a teacher, I had to make an effort to theorise responsibly."Professor Propas

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

#3 Keyless Works

Keyless Works

Collectors Item

• 1,111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 13:42

Were there any other differences between the Soennecken 1 Extra and the 111? 

#4 playtime

playtime

Flexible

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 13:50

where's mr dayne nix when you need him???? :)

he has a Soennecken 1 extra on his website, for sale. he'd definitely know:)

http://dayneswritesi...alian-pens.html

also check out pencluster.....says without click mechanism, and from what i can piece together from google translation, an ink window??

http://pencluster.co...-1-extra-black/

Edited by playtime, 14 June 2014 - 13:56.

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"Lacking data, like any good social scientist I was free to make stuff up; but as a scholar and a teacher, I had to make an effort to theorise responsibly."Professor Propas

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

#5 Keyless Works

Keyless Works

Collectors Item

• 1,111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 14:25

Thank you playtime!

#6 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,938 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 21:14

Saw some pirate wanting €1,000 for a black herringbone.

Sigh my Soennecken 111 Extra's money burnt a hole in my pocket after three months of looking...but for one in herringbone in color and at half that price....In I'd seen lizards going for €350.

Ended up with a Pelikan 500, 400n, a Celebry and a Pelikan pen stand.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 24 June 2014 - 23:24.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I no longer use the term Easy Full Flex.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#7 Keyless Works

Keyless Works

Collectors Item

• 1,111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2014 - 22:55

I would pay 350€ for a lizard one in nice condition.  Where are you seeing them at that price?  I usually 111 Extras range from a low of $600 USD all the way up $1,200 USD.

#8 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,938 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 23:23

German Ebay....not often for the lizard. But did turn down a bid on one, three months ago, in I had a Herringbone 111 Extra as grail pen. Was even picky to which two colors I'd want to bid on. Wanted the click. Wann Shoen, dann shoen....if so, big time.

None showed up for 3 months, I'd thought of a €500 bid.

Didn't go looking again, in Murfey would show me one, now the money was spent.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 24 June 2014 - 23:25.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I no longer use the term Easy Full Flex.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.