Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:47

1_zps3cb3c83f.jpg

2_zps6c45359a.jpg

Edited by silver ink, 11 June 2014 - 11:51.

And your LORD has decreed that you not worship except Him,and to parents, good treatment.Whether one or both of them reach old age[while] with you,say not to them [so much as],"uff,"and do not repel them but speak to them a noble word.And lower to them the wing of humility out of mercy and say,"My LORD ,have mercy upon them as they brought me up [when i was] small."                                                                                                                        Holy Quran 17:23-24                                                                                                                

#2 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:48

i want to learn copperplate

And your LORD has decreed that you not worship except Him,and to parents, good treatment.Whether one or both of them reach old age[while] with you,say not to them [so much as],"uff,"and do not repel them but speak to them a noble word.And lower to them the wing of humility out of mercy and say,"My LORD ,have mercy upon them as they brought me up [when i was] small."                                                                                                                        Holy Quran 17:23-24                                                                                                                

#3 perrins57

perrins57

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:33

Go for uniform letter height, your letters get smaller towards the end of words.

Song of Solomon 4:12 ~ You are my private garden, my treasure, my bride, a secluded spring, a hidden fountain Pen

Amber Italix Parsons Essential Fine Cursive Stub & Churchman's Prescriptor Bold Italic, Parker 25 F, Twsbi Mini EF, Platinum #3776 Bourgogne SF, Platinum Maki-e Kanazawa Mt. Fuji Med, Platinum President F,  Platinum desk pen, Platinum PG250,

Summit 125 Med flex, Conway Stewart Scribe No 330 Fine flex, Stephens 103 F, Mock Blanc 146 F, Pelikan 200 with 14k EF nib,  and a Jinhao 675. - I have also sent a Noodler's Ahab & Creeper to recycling.

#4 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 13:34

should the hand also move horizontally towards the left as we write a word or it is supposed to remain on same spot and only fingers should be adjusted to complete the word?

you are right my letters are getting smaller

Edited by silver ink, 11 June 2014 - 13:36.

#5 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 13:49

3_zps571b1b52.jpg

#6 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 15:29

4_zps80459a6e.jpg

#7 mtnbiker62

mtnbiker62

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 15:31

Your "needs improvement" penmanship far outshines mine.  It looks really good to me...keep up the good work.

#8 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 15:48

thanks

i will practice and post  more

#9 perrins57

perrins57

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 21:33

Yes, move the hand, otherwise the movement is limited to the fingers and you are drawing more than writing. It's hard to get freedom of movement as it involves re-learning muscle movement and using muscles in the arm more and hand less. This is what I struggle most with, after years of writing just with the hand I'm learning to use the arm and it's weird at first; but like with all things it's about practice.

Song of Solomon 4:12 ~ You are my private garden, my treasure, my bride, a secluded spring, a hidden fountain Pen

Amber Italix Parsons Essential Fine Cursive Stub & Churchman's Prescriptor Bold Italic, Parker 25 F, Twsbi Mini EF, Platinum #3776 Bourgogne SF, Platinum Maki-e Kanazawa Mt. Fuji Med, Platinum President F,  Platinum desk pen, Platinum PG250,

Summit 125 Med flex, Conway Stewart Scribe No 330 Fine flex, Stephens 103 F, Mock Blanc 146 F, Pelikan 200 with 14k EF nib,  and a Jinhao 675. - I have also sent a Noodler's Ahab & Creeper to recycling.

#10 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:27

yes its never late and with practice one can improve

9_zpsf310db2a.jpg

Edited by silver ink, 13 June 2014 - 09:31.

#11 proton007

proton007

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 15:37

yes its never late and with practice one can improve

Also consider what style and purpose you need to improve for. Your current handwriting is written slowly but looks good, however if you want your handwriting to be fast and attractive at the same time you'll need to practice letter formations.

The sun sets behind you, And it shines on me too
This view must be the highest beauty
And I know that light will pass, And the dark will fall
But I don't care about that now, No I don't care about that now

The days we spend, Searching, sometimes finding
If we die today, we should die smiling,
And I know these times will be gone someday, But I don't care about that now

#12 perrins57

perrins57

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 19:20

The classic Spencerian workbooks are a useful tool.

#13 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:41

16_zps8bacea03.jpg

#14 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:45

Also consider what style and purpose you need to improve for. Your current handwriting is written slowly but looks good, however if you want your handwriting to be fast and attractive at the same time you'll need to practice letter formations.

sir you are right

i right slowly sometimes i even pause for 2,3 seconds in the middle of the word to figure out how to introduce the next letter usually when "r" "p" "f" and "v" come

thanks a lot.

Edited by silver ink, 14 June 2014 - 19:38.

#15 Mickey

Mickey

Contemporary Philosopher

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 15:17

should the hand also move horizontally towards the left as we write a word or it is supposed to remain on same spot and only fingers should be adjusted to complete the word?

you are right my letters are getting smaller

People who write Spencerian or Copperplate (round hand) typically slide the paper with the non-writing hand every few characters. This maintains the relationship between eye and hand. People writing formal Italic do this, as well, for the same reason. Writers of cursive italic typically do slide their hands down the writing line. Spencerian cannot be written successfully unless the hand is free to move in all directions.

As a general note, your hand should never be so anchored to the page that either the hand or page can't be repositioned without breaking rhythm.

But I believe that since my life began

The most I've had is just a talent to abuse.

Hey ho, if love were all.

With apologies to Noel Coward

#16 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 19:37

you are right sir.there is no rhythm right now.

i have to stop in the middle of the word sometimes to determine how to introduce the next letter and  it causes the ink to spread as i do not lift pen during that pause.

i am new to calligraphy and i will consider your advice as i proceed.

thanks a lot.

#17 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2014 - 16:16

this a practice sheet from today.

i have left the stub nib pen

previously as @proton007 had said i was writing slowly and applying more pressure on paper

i am trying not to write too slowly now

cause while slowing down pressure also increases

23_zps9cb3c496.jpg

#18 proton007

proton007

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,104 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 15:09

I find your letter forms are consistent, but you need to work on improving those forms, and the overall flow of the hand.

I know you want to learn Copperplate, however, you also need to practice movements (hand and arm) to gain flow and consistency. Use the iampeth website http://www.iampeth.com/lessons.php and choose a style to practice. Once you've acquired the correct movements, it's easier to write fast and flowing cursive, as well as pick up Copperplate.

#19 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 15:13

I find your letter forms are consistent, but you need to work on improving those forms, and the overall flow of the hand.

I know you want to learn Copperplate, however, you also need to practice movements (hand and arm) to gain flow and consistency. Use the iampeth website http://www.iampeth.com/lessons.php and choose a style to practice. Once you've acquired the correct movements, it's easier to write fast and flowing cursive, as well as pick up Copperplate.

thanks sir for the link

i am looking at it now

will practice and then post again.

Edited by silver ink, 22 June 2014 - 15:14.

#20 cactusneedle

cactusneedle

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 16:33

Just curious, but wondering why you use "i" instead of "I" for the personal pronoun.  Being old-school, this really made me stop each time I came to it, as if I were stubbing my toe on something.  Prevented a smooth reading otherwise.   Also, your lowercase letters are over half the height of your line spacing, which decreases the height difference in the capitals and lower case.  Don't worry, I am learning, too!  Perhaps someone can enlighten me.  :)

#21 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 19:21

@cactusneedle

sir you are right.There should be a capital "I" for personal pronoun

and i will try to work on the height of letters.

thanks a lot for the feedback

#22 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2014 - 20:41

60_zps80194d83.jpg

#23 proton007

proton007

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,104 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:16

^^

Do you find Cursive notebooks in your area? The ones with 4 lines? Use them to practice consistent letter sizes, and the ascender/descenders.

#24 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2014 - 00:32

^^

Do you find Cursive notebooks in your area? The ones with 4 lines? Use them to practice consistent letter sizes, and the ascender/descenders.

yes they are available in book store.i will get them this time when i visit.

#25 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2014 - 13:55

00_zps2c112994.jpg