Photo

Does Exist A Pen That You Would Love To Love?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Pavlova

Pavlova

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:55

Here is my example: The Montblanc 149. It is so beautiful and i would love so much to use it but... it is so big for my hands that i can't use it confortably. Some times i just get jealous of people who use it and i start to think: i wish i had bigger hands! :(

Have you experienced the same kind of problem with any pen? The wish to use but the pen simply being not for you?

#2 ac12

ac12

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,852 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:17

Lamy 2000.

It is about 2mm in diameter too FAT for my hand and about 10 grams too heavy.

IOW if they go it down to the size of a Parker 45, then I would love it.  Right now it is just an overgrown Parker 45.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30,2015 - Redwood City, California

#3 BrandonA

BrandonA

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,689 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:41

Here is my example: The Montblanc 149. It is so beautiful and i would love so much to use it but... it is so big for my hands that i can't use it confortably. Some times i just get jealous of people who use it and i start to think: i wish i had bigger hands! :(

Have you experienced the same kind of problem with any pen? The wish to use but the pen simply being not for you?

Have you thought about a 146?

My Collection:
Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac & Defoe
Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP
Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP
Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.
Play WE game. or POA game.

#4 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:33

Which fountain pen is comfortable in your hand ?  Use that for your judgement.  

I have small hands.  I like the way a large, heavy pen self-settles into my hand for writing.  

Don't assume that a person with large hands will prefer a large pen.  Seek for your own comfort.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#5 carlos.q

carlos.q

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:58

Lamy 2000.

It is about 2mm in diameter too FAT for my hand and about 10 grams too heavy.

+1

#6 Beckwith

Beckwith

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:44

TWSBI Mini - it's just a tiny bit too short for me even when posted (the Pelican M200 is right on the line for me)

#7 Pavlova

Pavlova

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 16:50

Have you thought about a 146?

Sure, but he majesty of the 149 is her size :gaah:

Edited by Pavlova, 11 June 2014 - 16:51.

#8 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,084 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 16:57

My prime example is a vintage Waterman Thorobred with a full-flex nib.  It's the most lovely nib ever, and a joy to write with, but the rest of the pen...   Oh, it's so dainty!  It almost disappears in my large-ish guy hands.  Also it's rather plain looking, and the feed is not the most reliable -- it has burped ink onto the page a couple of times.

#9 00Photo

00Photo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 17:42

I would love a 149 in celluloid with a 14C flex nib. My wallet does not approve. 

#10 Flake

Flake

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 17:47

The MB Hitchcock - I loved every aspect of it....except writing with it. I was heartbroken. 

The Pelikan M1005 is a close second, it was just too big and too heavy. 

#11 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• 4,917 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:46

Yes - and I have them all!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"
LetterExchange_sm.png

#12 RuiFromUK

RuiFromUK

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:49

Sure, but he majesty of the 149 is her size :gaah:

Maybe you could consider the 149 Grande just like I did for exactly the same reason.

Kind regards,

Rui

#13 RuiFromUK

RuiFromUK

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:50

Pelikan 1000, too big for my small hands. Eventually I'll buy it for set completion sake only.

Kind regards,

Rui

#14 Journaler

Journaler

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:01

Bexley Corona in Summer Storm. 

Looks lovely from a distance (always provokes compliments from others) and writes well too but the build quality isn't commensurate with the cost IMO.

#15 adamselene

adamselene

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:11

The MB Hitchcock - I loved every aspect of it....except writing with it. I was heartbroken. 

The Pelikan M1005 is a close second, it was just too big and too heavy.

I love writing with it! It feels like part of my hand. So I get up from my desk and it's still in my hand, and that is how my Churchill got nibthwacked!

OH NO,

It stays under a ton of socks alone! ( coincidentally, in a beautiful cushoined case that Mary sent the rescued Churchill back in--thanks Mary!)

And I really wish it posted.

#16 Blazing

Blazing

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2014 - 14:57

The Italix Parson's Essential. The grip is too thin for me and the pen seems to be quite picky with the paper; on certain paper [wouldn't say good, a lot of the papers which feather more cause my pen to perform better] the pen writes well whereas on some types of paper the pen is a hard starter and has some skipping issues.

Pens that I own

A Faber Castell Basic in Carbon with a fine nib, an Italix Parson's Essential in black with a medium nib, a Faber Castell Loom in blue in a medium nib, a Pilot MR in black with a medium nib [no patterns] and a Lamy Safari LE 2012 Apple Green in a medium nib.

Inks that I own

Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black [bottled], Lamy Blue [bottled], Diamine Jet Black [cartridge] and various ink cartridges which came with my pens.

#17 FriendAmos

FriendAmos

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 15:02

The Delta Napoleon. I love everything about the design. But it is so large and heavy that the only practical use I can think of is as a truncheon to ward off would-be robbers.

#18 de_pen_dent

de_pen_dent

Tropical islander

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 16:03

Omas Paragon Arco.  I love the pen - and while i do ok with a M1000 or 149, the metal section and girth of this pen combine to make it very unwieldy for me.

I keep telling myself to swap it for a Milord in Arco.  But a Milord isnt a Paragon, is it?  

I confess - I do have a M800, a 146 and a regular Milord :)

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

#19 FriendAmos

FriendAmos

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 17:53

Omas Paragon Arco.  I love the pen - and while i do ok with a M1000 or 149, the metal section and girth of this pen combine to make it very unwieldy for me.

I keep telling myself to swap it for a Milord in Arco.  But a Milord isnt a Paragon, is it?  

I confess - I do have a M800, a 146 and a regular Milord :)

One of the new ones? The latest Milord is a largish pen and not far off from the M1000 or 149. I went for it because I too couldn't stand the metallic section on the new Paragon.

#20 de_pen_dent

de_pen_dent

Tropical islander

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:46

One of the new ones? The latest Milord is a largish pen and not far off from the M1000 or 149. I went for it because I too couldn't stand the metallic section on the new Paragon.

Yeah, a new version.   For whatever reason, I find it a lot more comfortable than the Paragon, even if it is sized similar to the M1000/149.  Going off memory, I'd say it is just a wee bit smaller and that, along with the non-metallic section, makes it much easier to use.

Between the gorgeousness of the Arco and the desire to have a Paragon in my collection, I am struggling to take the logical step, however :)

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.