Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

You Snooze, You Lose

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:42

I'm sure it's happened to most of us.  It's happened to me with pens both vintage and modern.  However...  I seem to have the worst luck with Bexleys.

I have a Bexley 56 (not 58!) in blue-and-black ebonite with rhodium-plated trim.  Pretty cool, huh?  Well...  I really wanted the red-and-black one with gold trim, but they were sold out before I knew it.  And although I've gradually (very gradually) warmed somewhat to the blue one, it remains a dark and not terribly attractive color, and definitely does not have that classic (I might even say iconic) 1920s ebonite look.  It's been hard to get past that.

A while back Bexley made a "torpedo" pen that was designed to accept Sheaffer Imperial nib-and-feed units.  That sounds like a match made in heaven.  Those Imperials have amazing nibs, and the tapered section is both easy to clean and very comfortable to my grip.  Those vintage pens do seem a bit dainty by today's standards, so the Torpedo looked like the best of both words.  However...  By the time I found out about them, my preferred color was already gone.  And then I dithered.  And then I ended up getting none at all.

Now I see that Peyton Street Pens have a limited edition Bexley that also uses Imperial nibs, although the style is very different from the Torpedo.  Of course I have to get one.  My first choice was black with gold trim.  Oh...  Well of course, that's the one that's already sold out.  That figures.

I don't know when those pens were first introduced.  I vaguely remember seeing them some time before, but for some reason they didn't make much impression.  I guess it took a while to put two and two together and realize that, yes, that was something cool that should be in my collection.  I am not accustomed to buying pens in a snap.  Usually I can take a while to ruminate, and other things may come first, and it doesn't matter that much.  With these Bexley limited edition pens, it matters.

#2 mab52

mab52

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:59

The Internet makes for a whole lot of lost opportunities. I see all too many items sold or out of stock. I even decided to buy an extra Conklin pen because I couldn't bear the thought of it being discontinued and unavailable should something bad happen to the one I use.

Have to laugh though. The only thing is to be at the computer with hundreds of tabs open 24/7 with a really fat wallet. I much rather be using at least some of my pens.  

#3 vikrmbedi

vikrmbedi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:15

have a look here you might find something you like. :)

also there are 4 pages I have linked only 1.

I recently came across a near mint montblanc jules verne limited edition ballpoint pen (on a local classifieds website) boxed with papers for 200$. ignored it for a day, went back the next, but it was sold.

all part of the highs and lows of collecting. happy hunting.

Edited by vikrmbedi, 11 June 2014 - 03:16.

#4 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:21

Re; those shudda, wudda, cuddas.

When I drop the ball on one, which thankfully doesn't happen often, if I get right down to it, I'm more PO'd at making the poor pen decision than I

am at really Not having the pen.

I have plenty of pens. But dropping the ball means I didn't think it through like I should have.

THAT'S unacceptable.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#5 Hardcase

Hardcase

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 14:06

I tend to rationalize those situations by telling myself that the lost opportunity just means that something better will come along sooner or later. I berate myself for a couple of minutes, then move on.

Or, as my wife tells me, "It's just a pen." Funny, though, when I tell her that "It's just a <insert deal that got away from her>", she's not so understanding. :D

Clan-MacNeil-Buaidh-No-Bas-Victory-or-De

#6 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 14:24

Yeah, let me know how that, "it's just a pair of shoes" works out for ya...  ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy, 11 June 2014 - 14:24.

#7 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,406 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 19:51

When something I think I want gets sold before I have made up my mind to buy, I experience a moment of chagrin before remembering that I have more pens than I can possibly use, and that each pen I buy means some other pen is left not used.  The only one I am sorry I didn't buy is the Pelikan M625 (or M whatever) Place de la Concorde from the Cities series.  It reminded of a beautiful sweater a girlfriend once wore.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

#8 The Journeyman

The Journeyman

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 22:19

An old gentleman - in the proper sense of the word - that I worked with used to quote a proverb to me:
"Three things return not to a man.
The spoken word, the speeding arrow and the lost opportunity."
Worth remembering, especially regarding pens!