#1 kid31

kid31

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:36

I have been following the Classifieds for some time now and I have observed that many sellers state that they are willing to ship their pens to "CONUS only" (not even to all of the US). In contrast, I am not sure I have seen even a single ad where the seller was willing to ship "to the EU only". Has anybody else observed this? Why does it happen? I am just curious...

#2 WilsonCQB1911

WilsonCQB1911

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:44

Most of the market for these pens is in the US from what I understand.  So if a seller in the EU were to restrict sales to the EU only it would be tough to find a buyer.  US sellers don't need to open it up to the EU, and if they do, find that postage, etc is generally a hassle.  That would be my guess for the trend.

#3 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:47

I have been following the Classifieds for some time now and I have observed that many sellers state that they are willing to ship their pens to "CONUS only" (not even to all of the US). In contrast, I am not sure I have seen even a single ad where the seller was willing to ship "to the EU only". Has anybody else observed this? Why does it happen? I am just curious...

IMO, I think US sellers are more confident of finding local buyers.

Edited by hari317, 10 June 2014 - 08:49.

#4 kidde

kidde

SQUIRREL!!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:49

Shipping costs and a perception of dishonesty in some countries postal services. Quite a few folks are stepping back from shipping overseas due to additional risks and fears. Personally I may have just run into that myself. $12 shipping plus the pen and no one knows were it might be.

Paul
"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

#5 Cryptos

Cryptos

Seeker

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:55

Well, I can give some good news, Paul - even though I was going to wait until the weekend when I  could hand write a thank you - your PIF came yesterday afternoon! More in the PIF thread on the weekend :) My apologies I should have PM'd you as soon as it arrived - real busy is my excuse (exams and everything) even though it's not a good one.

Edit: I am a bit disappointed by the CONUS thing too. Especially when I am prepared to take the postal risk and not the sender.

Edited by Cryptos, 10 June 2014 - 08:56.

Sitting quietly, doing nothing,

spring comes,

and the grass grows by itself.

#6 ArtsNibs

ArtsNibs

lahlahlaw

• Premium - Ruby

• 971 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:39

The main issue is that you can't track the package unless you pony up the $40-plus it costs to send it registered. I've shipped many packages overseas and the only difference is an extra $8 or so and a few minutes filling out the customs declaration. I've been fortunate in having all my pens show up, but unreliable postal service is always a risk. I know first hand that Mexico's regular mail is downright terrible.

#7 Newjelan

Newjelan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 1,329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:09

While I understand the concern driving people to ship to "CONUS" only, I've received numerous orders from the US, UK, EU, Japan and on all occasions the items have arrived safely and within 5 - 7 business days.

#8 Coop

Coop

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:37

A big part of it is that the US is covered entirely by USPS and there are several other companies like Fed-ex and UPS which offer competative rates for domestic shipping. As a shipment is being dealt with by only one company, it is pretty clear who is to blame when something gets lost/damaged. But shipping international is another thing. Using USPS can save a few dollars, but having a package handled by multiple shipping companies increases the chance of stuff getting lost and tracking across different systems is more complex and therefore more costly.

Not to mention the shipping documents required for customs (although in many cases a simple CN-22 label is enough).

The EU on the other hand, is still a bunch of separate countries, each with its' own mail company. Most EU residents know and accept that by selling domestic only, they severely limit their chances of finding a buyer. And as we are used to our shipments crossing international borders, it doesn't really matter much which borders these are. Within or outside the EU, it's just another border, the only thing different is the shipping rate. And due to the variations in shipping cost between mail companies, the buyer paying for shipping is quite normal.

That being said, it's still the sellers choice who they sell to. A domestic sale is usually easier than an international sale, and if you happen to live in a large country chances of a domestic sale are larger. My personal experience with sellers advertising items as CONUS only, is that they are often quite reasonable and still willing to ship international if you can agree on shipping and payment terms. The CONUS only still is a pretty good way to filter the scammers looking for a quick buck from the honest buyer willing to invest in an international purchase.

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainp...t/#entry2917072

#9 LBpens

LBpens

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:38

I think paypal is the main reason. It's great for getting paid fast, but if you ship something and there is no online tracking saying it was delivered, paypal will refund the buyer automatically. I put shipping to US addresses on my ads, and even so I get buyers who don't tell me until after I have marked the item sold, and perhaps turned away other buyers, that they are, say, In Canada. Then they innocently ask, "how much extra to ship to Canada?" The answer with tracking is... too much. Sellers outside the US seem to be able to ship, with tracking, into the US for much much less than we can ship outside. And because we can find buyers here, it isn't worth it. If a foreign seller approaches me and says - here's how to ship a pen to my country and here's how much it will cost, I'm ok with that. But not if I have to go research it and report back to them.

Edited by LBpens, 10 June 2014 - 11:39.

Save the Wahls!

#10 tmenyc

tmenyc

Tim

• Member - Gold

• 1,306 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:45

Two quick thoughts:  

I'm always willing to ship anywhere, but quote the full price for the country of destination before accepting the sale, and tell the buyer that I will email a photo of the USPS receipt for the shipping they pay for, but that outside the US it is 100% the buyer's risk.  I've never had a problem, using international first class most of the time.  Twice I have undone a sale because the buyer did not want to accept the risk.  That was a bit frustrating, but a happier ending for me since the pen sold soon after anyway.  

Also, in reverse, it always galls me when a European seller, on ebay or elsewhere, states firmly that there will not be any shipping to the United States.  On several occasions, being an arrogant New Yorker, bought anyway and then talked them into it, but it seems so limiting for them to not ship to the biggest market.  

Tim

Current Rotation:

home:Pelikan 120/Pelikan Blue-black

pen case: Parker 51 Vac/Pelikan Black, Esterbrook Transitional/Diamine Registrars

bag:  Pilot Metropolitan/OS Manganese

office:  Wality 69L, Esterbrook 9668 nib/Noodlers OMB

#11 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 12,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 13:00

There was also a Stiff postal increase in the U.S. last year that Doubled even the untracked/uninsured 1st class International rates.

Speaking of untracked...keep in mind;

Your paid for tracking is generally valid only Within the country of mailing.

I remain unconvinced that if an international package truly Went Missing, that each country wouldn't say the other's PO did the losing. I have Yet to hear Anyone on FPN say they've gotten money back from an international postal loss. Not saying it hasn't happen, just that no one has Said it has.

The tracked/insured packages can go missing just like the untracked/uninsured ones do.  They BOTH usually turn up sooner or later.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#12 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 12,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 13:06

PS;  It is a scientifically proven fact that posting on FPN about your missing package acts as a Postal System clot buster to restore proper package flow and have Your package magically reappear.  

No, Really it is. It works Every time.

Bruce in Ocala,  Fl

#13 LBpens

LBpens

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 14:11

I don't think paypal will listen to a claim that the buyer accepted the risk. If the buyer makes an item not received claim against you, and you don't have tracking with delivery confirmation, you will lose.

Save the Wahls!

#14 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 14:24

I can ship a pen anywhere here in the US via priority mail for $5.15 and have tracking with some insurance.  That is a good price, a quick turn around, and backed by a fairly reliable system.  I do a lot of overseas purchasing and have no problems 95% of the time.  I list all of my classifieds as CONUS to cut down on any headaches for myself but have made exceptions when contacted by interested buyers willing to pay for the overseas shipping charges via a secure route.

PELIKAN 100N, M101N Brown Tortoise, M101N Lizard, M101N Red Tortoise, 120 (I), 120 (II), 130 Ibis, 140, 140, M75, M75, M100, M100, M100, M100, M100, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M215, M215, M215, M215, M250, M250, M250, M250, M250, M250, M250, M481, M481, 400, 400NN, 400NN, M400, M400, M400, M405, M405, M425, M600, M600, M640, M800, M800

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - Where the flock comes to roost

#15 yogalarva

yogalarva

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 14:35

I would hesitate to ship outside of the States purely because of the cost involved.  Yesterday I mailed something to Australia and it was my first time mailing overseas.  To go to Australia it cost me like $9 for a 2.3 ounce envelope.  The same package, shipped similarly in CONUS?  $1.40 First Class...  I can only imagine how much the price would skyrocket for something heavier like a pen or a bottle of ink.

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

#16 DrRoger

DrRoger

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 14:46

While sellers have every right to sell to whoever they want to, I do see some lovely pens here that I'd buy in a moment if the seller didn't state CONUS only. To date I've had no issues with people who've sold me pens from the USA, Canada, Japan, India and Europe. The issue of paying for tracking seems important - if you want a pen enough then maybe tracking isn't a big ask? Some sellers use FedEx or similar - I don't know how if it's costly or inconvenient but it does resolve the USPS to UK post office issue. Occasionally VAT or sales tax is a deal breaker but again that's another issue. So, for what it's worth, my ten cents - others will disagree I'm sure.

#17 Bigeddie

Bigeddie

Must not purchase more ink.

• 1,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 15:05

While sellers have every right to sell to whoever they want to, I do see some lovely pens here that I'd buy in a moment if the seller didn't state CONUS only. [...]

Likewise, particularly with brands like Sheaffer or Eversharp where pens may not have been exported to such a great extent at the time of production. When I sell internationally by Royal Mail £4 covers me for a cheap pen anywhere in the world, insured up to £20, £12 will be tracked and insured up to £250. It's often cheaper to send something tracked internationally than domestically. If a package is lost Royal Mail pays up, I don't understand this dealing with other companies for compensation, certainly here you deal with the company you buy the service from.

When I read 'ConUS only' I just think never mind, they lost a sale, I'll find one elsewhere though I might have to pay a little more. 

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

#18 LBpens

LBpens

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 15:11

Those of you outside the US, let me pose a question - what percentage above a pen's selling price are you willing to pay for paypal required shipping/tracking?

Save the Wahls!

#19 DrRoger

DrRoger

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 15:18

If I may reply LBpens, I would say that if I want a pen enough then it's not a percentage issue but what the USPS cost is perhaps together with what the seller regards as appropriate for their time in work associated with mailing the item (please don't think of that as facetious - I'm thinking of filling forms etc.) The latter element is a variable cost while the former would, I assume, be fixed by USPS.

#20 Bigeddie

Bigeddie

Must not purchase more ink.

• 1,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 15:34

Those of you outside the US, let me pose a question - what percentage above a pen's selling price are you willing to pay for paypal required shipping/tracking?

I would say that the majority of out of production Sheaffers that I have seen for sale from the UK have been about 50% more than buying from ConUS sellers. I assume that this is mostly down to their relative scarcity here.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

#21 ziptrickhead

ziptrickhead

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 17:05

I'll admit when I sell stuff online (haven't sold on classifieds yet though) I will throw in the "conUS only" line in. Personally for me it's just easier to deal with shipping when you don't have to deal with poor tracking, excessively high prices, and customs.

On the other hand, I do make exceptions, but I let the buying party take the initiative to contact me and see if we can work out international shipping. If I feel relatively safe about the transaction and the other party agrees to the higher shipping costs then I'll go ahead with the sale regardless of what I said in the description. The same goes both ways. When I order stuff from overseas (a lot of Japan), I do so understanding that I'm probably going to pay upwards of $25-30 for a small box that's registered air mail with tracking and if something happens I'll have to deal with trying to get insurance back somehow.

A few weeks ago I sold a knife to someone in Canada. He had a private mail box here in the USA so it's pretty clear that he's become accustomed to sellers not wanting to ship to Canada. I gave him the option of shipping to him direct (saving him a 2 hour drive) but the shipping quote was high enough that he figured the drive across the border was more economical.

My Pens: Newton Sumpter F | Lamy 2000 EF / Safari EF, F, B, 1.1 | Pelikan M600 F / M650 F / 400 Tortoise F / M250 Brown Tortoise B / M205 F | Montblanc 146 M / 149 M | Visconti Homo Sapiens midi F | Sheaffer Balance F / Balance II F, M / Imperial IV EF | Waterman Charleston M | Waterman 92 flex | Pilot Custom 74 M / Vanishing Point M / Prera F | Sailor 1911m HF | Levenger True Writer Kyoto M | TWSBI Vac700 F / Mini EF | Parker 51 (aero) F, M / 21 M | Gama Eyas F

#22 hbdk

hbdk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 17:08

I always wonder...con who? :P

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

#23 sharonspens

sharonspens

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 17:15

Perhaps I am missing something here - I understand why the difficulties arise with shipping to non-U.S. addys, but I am not sure why the continental U.S. is specified? is there some problem with shipping to Hawaii, Alaska, and the Territories?

Sharon in Indiana

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are, to make your world a better place.

#24 carlos.q

carlos.q

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,096 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 18:56

Perhaps I am missing something here - I understand why the difficulties arise with shipping to non-U.S. addys, but I am not sure why the continental U.S. is specified? is there some problem with shipping to Hawaii, Alaska, and the Territories?

Sharon in Indiana

+1

In a few cases I have had problems with sellers because Puerto Rico is not CONUS. As a territory that "belongs to but is not a part of" the U.S. we also use the same USPS and pay the same postal rates.  :gaah:

#25 Auspice

Auspice

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 19:22

I expect to see it more in sales and less in trades, PIFs, etc... personally. I work with a number of clients in my day job who ship international and things... can be a mess. Stuff stuck in customs for weeks. Disappearing altogether. Customs confiscating a package because of some change in required forms that wasn't advertised...

... and 9 times out of 10? The buyer blames the seller. The brand. I deal with so many angry, pissy emails in this regard. I can see why people might shy away- imagine selling a pen, the mail system losing it somewhere, and getting bombarded with angry emails. Even if you refund the person- they might still be angry AND you're out the pen and money. 

As someone else said... it's easier to get insurance and accountability from FedEx and UPS, within the US (the USPS almost never pays out insurance claims, FYI). I can see why people would shy away from international... All it takes is one deal gone bad and you just don't want to deal with it anymore- esp. if say, you're on a budget and selling pens to try to make some income.

#26 Tanzanite

Tanzanite

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 20:53

Perhaps less people outside US would answer an ad which says CONUS only if you write what it means. It took me a while to figure it out.

#27 kid31

kid31

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 22:00

OK, well I am glad I started this topic, I think I learned some interesting things. In particular, if I see a pen I like but the seller ships "CONUS only", I will still contact the seller: perhaps (s)he will be willing to ship internationally.

To reply to LBpens, I find it unusual to refer to shipping costs in terms of a percentage of the cost of the item; it is rather an added cost. This being said, I agreed to pay $40 for a $400 pen shipped from the US, but I declined to pay $40 for a $20 pen and ended up not buying it. So yes, I am willing to pay more for shipping if the pen costs more. 

To reply to DrRoger, VAT/sales tax/custom duty etc. are a real problem in an indirect way. If the actual sale price of an item is declared on the customs form, these added charges can be enormous, definitely a deal breaker. But that is not all. A small packet transiting around the world with a $1500 price tag on it really invites theft. I have been told by sellers that shipping insurance companies encourage them to be "reasonable" with the prices they declare. This is an added bonus for the buyer, of course, who benefits from lesser ripoff charges by customs.

#28 Chrissy

Chrissy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 22:08

I must admit I thought that in the US you could buy some limited insurance for a small additional fee.

So. if the carrier insures you for the value of the item, then the PayPal tracking number requirement is surely not absolutely essential?

We can make a claim against our carrier Royal Mail, when they lose or damage an item, and they will pay out. So we don't need to worry too much what Paypal requires. You can't claim twice for one loss.

Also, it depends on how much we're talking about. If I was sending a lower value pen or bottle of ink, I would be happy to take the risk of not paying for insurance/tracking up to about GB20 value. Assuming a bottle of ink weighs between 251 and 500grams, it will cost GB£3.20 to post 1st class in the UK, GB£5.15 to Europe and GB£7.45 to US. Tracking costs an additional GB£1.10 in the UK or GB£5 International.

In the past I have had many items sent from the US by 1st class International mail. None of them were particularly expensive and I received every one in good condition.

I have also bought ink from Japan that hasn't been tracked or insured, and that has arrived too.

I look at many pen and ink Classified Ads on FPN, and if I see CONUS only, I just press the back button and don't bother reading the Ad.

Each to their own though.

postcardde9.png    fpn_1414151466__snailbadge.png

#29 dcroe05

dcroe05

Collectors Item

• Moderators

• 877 posts
  • Location:Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001, Earth, USA, North Carolina, Durham
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 22:09

If I may add one more reason to the pile....

When I sell I don't limit it to CONUS, but to the US.  I do this because there is a little automated postal machine at work that I can use--but not if I have to fill out a customs form.  So to ship to the US is a short walk downstairs, and a swipe of my debit card, but to ship outside the US requires a trip to the post office.

#30 Chrissy

Chrissy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 22:11

It's often cheaper to send something tracked internationally than domestically.

I have never experienced this

postcardde9.png    fpn_1414151466__snailbadge.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shipping, conus only