As has been said, a lot has to do with how you were taught and brought up through school.
And I would have killed to have a word processor when I was in college. I used an electric typewriter WITHOUT the magic erase key that the IBM Selectric had. Correction was with liquid white out, or correction tape.
I was taught in college to do a mind dump first, to get all the data out of your head. And the electric typewriter was soooo much faster than a pen in my hand. So by extension, any mind dump activity is faster with a computer than a pen and paper. The reason is, you can forget thoughts and ideas very quickly. The mind dump is to get it on paper, before you forget it. After it is on paper, then you go back and organize.
Today with the computer, you can easily organize and clean up the mind dump after it is in the computer; cut and paste to move stuff around, insert and delete text, change formatting, and correct grammer and spelling.
With a typewriter, the reorg was with a scissors and tape, then a full retype of the document.
With a pen, it was similar to the typewriter.
When I turned in stuff to the professor, anything that could be typed was typed. This was purely for readability. Because when I was a grader, if I could not read the students answer, he got a 0 for that question. And I was not about to loose points due to my poor penmanship. Besides I could type WAY faster than I could write legibly, so I could finish my homework faster on the typewriter.
Even today, when doing something for work I will 95% of the time use a computer to do it. The remaining 5% is split among other items such as initial planning, organization ideas, content thought, etc. I quickly get stuff on to the computer so it won't get lost or forgotten.
Now when it comes to graphical plans (house and landscape plans, wood/shop projects, etc), then I am 95% paper during the initial concept phase, and only shift to the computer when the concept is solidified. This is because the CAD and drawing tools that I have, do not support the free thinking concept phase of planning.
Edited by ac12, 11 June 2014 - 20:54.