Inky T O D - Inks That Are Just Plain Weird

Uncial

After years and years and years of only ever using Quink Black ink - oh the shame - the last couple of years has been something of a revelation to me. Diamine was the first to open the door of new possibilities to me, but nothing too daring, just variants on black and a very dark brown. Then I found Noodler's Apache Sunset and the Iroshizuku range and the floodgates opened. I feel I have missed quite a lot over these years. Now and again I trawl the net looking at different inks, checking here to see what they might be like. Only last week I stumbled across a very weird ink. I know scented inks can be quite popular, but I must confess they have no appeal for me, but this one combined another love; namely motorbikes. It was an ink that was scented eau de bike.

Now I love my bikes, and strange as this may sound, I even like the way they smell, but why on earth would I want to carry a pen around with me that smelled of oil, exhaust fumes, that odd burning rubber smell and petrol? Each to their own I guess, but I thought it was out there on the weird scale. So if you had to define an ink as weird, what would you nominate?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• inkstainedruth

No one ink in particular I find weird, but the concept of LE inks I find confusing. Ink colors are not 'limited' in any sense.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

No one ink in particular I find weird, but the concept of LE inks I find confusing. Ink colors are not 'limited' in any sense.

I quite like LE inks. Over the course of the last four years MB have bought out ten of them. I think this is a big addition to the range, some I didn't like and I had a bottle of, others I liked and bought 5 or more so that I have a stock for a few years. I cant imagine that they would extend the normal range by ten inks, so it adds a nice variety.

Inks that are strange - I consider specific properties of inks to be a factor of their strangeness. The sheen on the original formula Herbin 1670. Iron gall or pigment inks where the composition makes them a little more special.

Weird inks... Herbin Gris Nuage - I can't understand an ink that you can't see!

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

I sort of fail to understand why anyone thought Noodler's Rome Burning was a good idea.

It was made for expressing a political viewpoint,...

It's the first ink that came to my mind, too.

Greetings,

Michael

I sort of fail to understand why anyone thought Noodler's Rome Burning was a good idea.

+1.

It behaves terribly on less than perfect paper. On pens that have very fine nibs, the ink cannot be read. The worst is it caused havoc on a cotton celluloid transparent demonstrator that I had. ARGH.

This is what you need:

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/Dampflok.jpg

Mine smells weird, but authentic! The English version "Steam Engine" is available although I don't see it in their site.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

This is what you need:

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/Dampflok.jpg

Mine smells weird, but authentic! The English version "Steam Engine" is available although I don't see it in their site.

Mike

WANT!!!!! :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

De Atramentis also have an airplane ink that is sky blue and supposed to smell like the jet fume... I am totally coveting it!!!

Weird ink... hmmm... I am always puzzled by the ink that has a name which is totally different from the actual color.

Well, then you might want to go all the way and at the same time order the Horse and Golf Course jobs....

I can't believe it! Does Goulet sell these? JP4 fumes would be sooooo cool, and if the horse one is sweat, well, I'm about to swoon!

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Those are a bit like Yankee Man Candles.

For a more run of the mill weird ink, a real favourite of mine is Diamine China Blue. How can you have a pale, chalky ink that isn't wishy washy?

John

Simple Pilot Blue ink is not weird, necessarily, but it does smell a bit weird. Something akin to my memories of the old bottles of Sheaffer Peacock Blue that I used in 6th grade penmanship class. For that reason alone, I won't ever actually use my bottle of Pilot Blue ink, because I like that smell.

Edit to add: I just went nose-to-nose with a bottle of real Phenol that's used in our clinic. Same smell as the Pilot Blue ink, so presumably it is phenol ink. I wonder what other inks these days contain Phenol?

Edited by sotto2

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

The Noodler's Plains of Abraham (???, shame as I'm a Canadian) was a flop. I bought a bottle for 10% of the sticker price well after it was discontinued.

Sounded like a great idea at the time.

A lot of inks contain phenol there days. Thank G. Most Sailors do. Really preserves against contamination. Also reminds me of the old-time Skrip inks with the well in the bottle. IYAM, companies like Herbin shouldn't refrain from using phenol (or any other chemical(s)) just to be on the Nature side.

Mike

Yeah, I had to give most of it away, but I bought it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

WANT!!!!! :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

De Atramentis also have an airplane ink that is sky blue and supposed to smell like the jet fume... I am totally coveting it!!!

Weird ink... hmmm... I am always puzzled by the ink that has a name which is totally different from the actual color.

As a train lover ... ick. NO no no.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

BTW, this is a great TOD. I'm absconding with your thread ... though you get all the credit.

I can't believe it! Does Goulet sell these? JP4 fumes would be sooooo cool, and if the horse one is sweat, well, I'm about to swoon!

Very unfortunately, no, Goulet doesn't carry them. I don't know any U.S. retailers who sell those... :crybaby: Art Brown seemed to have a wide selection of DeAtramentis ink, but they went out of business...

As for the Horse ink- when DeAtramentis came up with a whole series of ink based on Magical world, Goulet carried those, and a review for the Unicorn (? might have been Pegasus?) ink said that it smells like horse, which makes sense. Sadly, they discontinued these quite awhile ago...

Incidentally, Art Brown used to carry another ink by DeAtramentis, called No.5, which is supposed to smell like Chanel No.5. Yet another ink that I was totally curious about, but didn't get around to buy it before Art Brown went under, and now I cannot find it anywhere....

I think it was made in response to a challenge from FPN members for an ink with it's special properties.

There was once a thread in which people fantasized about "impossible inks" they would like to have. It was as if Mr. Tardif took those fantasies as a challenge and made them true. Many show up in the thread that asks people to name their favorite inks.

Here's a link and the original link is within that one.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/224159-impossible-inks-revisited/

Magic Alchemist - patchouli. I used it in my MB 149 B nib at work and got to a point where I had a headache and had to stop using it. I also have the Magic Dragon one.

Smith Premier No. 4