#31 superglueshoe

superglueshoe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2014 - 17:06

I have the lamy 2000 as well as the m200. Both are great. The lamy is extremely smooth which combined with its heft can be hard to control. The m200 is very smooth too but its a lot lighter -resulting in less effort in controlling the pen and hence less hand fatigue. Not sure about the VP, I've being eyeing one for ages but that clip always puts me off. I usually take the M200 to lectures.

#32 MusterMark

MusterMark

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2014 - 20:16

if you have a friend who's comfortable taking pens out of your pocket, you may have one friend less than you think. if you have a friend who YOU are comfortable with them taking things out of your pocket, that's another matter.

LOL. Fair point. 

Edited by MusterMark, 08 June 2014 - 20:17.

#33 Beckwith

Beckwith

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:55

I would say the M200 out of those three for two reasons with respect to the categories you mentioned:

1) Durability - All of those pens are perfectly tunable in my experience. They can survive being in a pocket, being dropped, etc. But the M200 can be most easily disassembled and cleaned. I assume that you want this pen not just for college, but for life. Having a pen that can be easily cleaned will likely make it last longer.

2) Springiness - All three pens have relatively small nibs. The VP and Lamy have smaller nibs than the M200, and their nibs are also mounted so as to leave very little of the nib exposed. Because the M200 has a slightly larger nib, and more of it is out in the open, it will have slightly more springiness. 

All three pens meet your other criteria equally well I would say.

Edited by Beckwith, 09 June 2014 - 02:56.

#34 sirach

sirach

...up and taking nourishment

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:13

My first "expensive" pen during college was a Lamy 2k. Great pen... wouldn't call it springy.  I have had the other two, and eventually gave them up.  I love Pelikans, but the size was too small.  I tried to love the Pilot VP, but I could not get along with the placement of the clip.  

All that said, let me echo the sentiments of so many others... you will get along just fine with a cheaper pen.  There will be time for more expensive pens.  Personally, my taste has changed so much from when I was a freshman in college.  I used to be a EF-F person and now I don't ink up anything much thinner than a european medium.  Of course you are free to do with your money what you want, but look at the opportunity cost of the pen (the value of the next best alternative.)  That is gas money, going out to eat money, date money, shoe money, watch money, etc.  

Again, it's your money, and I would be a hypocrite to tell anyone how to best use money on pens (I have spent more at times than I should have), but whatever you get, enjoy it in good health, and let us know how it goes!  

#35 carlos.q

carlos.q

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:10

I have the lamy 2000 as well as the m200. Both are great. The lamy is extremely smooth which combined with its heft can be hard to control. The m200 is very smooth too but its a lot lighter -resulting in less effort in controlling the pen and hence less hand fatigue.

My feelings exactly. I would also recommend a Pelikan M200.

#36 ziptrickhead

ziptrickhead

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 13:01

I think a Pilot Custom 74 hits all the points you desire. Even if you order from Richard Binder who will tune the pen first before shipping it out to you (you could probably ask for it to be less wet), you're still under $170. And if you don't mind maybe doing some nib work yourself you can get the pen for under $100. I got mine in a medium nib and while tines were aligned and it wrote very smooth, tines were a bit too close and lead to some hard starts under very light pressure. Plus the nibs are quite springy giving you a cushioned feel when you're writing with them and the fine nibs are quite a good size.

As for the cons of the other pens you're considering:

Lamy 2000

- the EF nib has quite a small sweet spot but if you can hit it consistently then it's a wonderful writer

- during the warmer seasons if I have the pen in my pants pocket my pen will burp ink from the breather hole (I suggest you keep the pen in pocket when not in use to avoid someone taking it)

- very wet writer but the nib isn't what I would consider springy (at least the EF nib)

Pilot VP

I don't own one but I've handled one and while the clip placement was okay for me, I wouldn't want to write with it for an extended period of time. And while the clickie would be nice for quick notes, most often than not when I was in school I was either taking notes for an extended period of time or not taking notes at all. I didn't really need to jot down quicks notes that often but that may have been because of the classes I took.

Pelikan M200

- nibs are mostly very wet and springy

- pen length is okay when posted (at least for my hand size) but it's a narrower pen and I wouldn't want to write for an extended period of time with it

Don't forget that most schools don't use great paper and anyone that has ever had to write in a blue book will know how bad the paper can get. I used a Lamy Safari with a fine nib through my years of college and when writing in blue books it wrote like a broad nib because of the spread and feathered quite a bit, even with a dry ink like Pelikan Black. Fortunately the ruling in those test books is quite wide so I compensated by forming extra large letters. 

If you can deal with the size of the M200 then I would say go for that purely because the nibs are easy to swap out and relatively inexpensive. You can always buy another tuned nib from Binder while you can't get loose nibs for the 74 and the VP nib units are much more expensive. And with Lamy nib changes are even more expensive unless it's a warranty change.

Also just because the Pelikan and Pilot pens are plastic, don't let that fool you. The plastic is very durable and if you use the pen for it's intended purpose and not throw it around the room, you will find that you won't have any problems with them breaking. If anything for my a lighter, plastic pen is more comfortable to write with for long periods of time than a heavier, metal pen.

My Pens: Newton Sumpter F | Lamy 2000 EF / Safari EF, F, B, 1.1 | Pelikan M600 F / M650 F / 400 Tortoise F | Montblanc 146 M | Visconti Homo Sapiens midi F | Sheaffer Balance F / Balance II F, M / Imperial IV EF | Waterman Charleston M | Waterman 92 flex | Pilot Custom 74 M / Prera F | Sailor 1911m HF | Levenger True Writer Kyoto M | Edison Collier F | TWSBI Vac700 F / Mini EF | Parker 51 F, M / 21 M | Gama Eyas F

#37 Myrtle_T_Turtle

Myrtle_T_Turtle

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 22:42

Thanks everyone for all the feedback! I am hoping to get to try out the Lamy 2000 and the Pelikan M200 tomorrow to see how they feel (Pilot isn't carried by the store I'm going to). Right now, I'm somewhat leaning towards the Pelikan M200, but that may change after tomorrow. I know someone mentioned the Cognac Demonstrator version - I considered it since it's a special edition, but to be honest, I've never really liked the look of demonstrator pens (plus, it is more expensive).

Quite a few of you seemed concerned that the pen might easily be lost in college. In high school, I always carried around at least one of my Lamy Safaris, but most of the time I carried both. I did loan them out temporarily to classmates who forgot their pen/pencil or wanted to try writing with a FP, and neither of the pens were ever lost or stolen. Now, I do realize that the risk of losing pens in college will be greater, but I do intend to keep this new pen safe (trust me, I was even pretty protective of my Safaris). I won't be carrying this pen with me very often (if at all) - it'll be more for when I know I'll have extended writing sessions and want to have a good writing experience, but I do want it to be suitable for note-taking in case I do decide to bring it to class.

Oh, and I may post a review of this pen...we'll see.  ;)

Myrtle_T_Turtle

#38 Myrtle_T_Turtle

Myrtle_T_Turtle

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:40

Unfortunately, I was only able to try the Lamy 2000 today. It was great to see the pen in person, and it did feel relatively comfortable in my hand (however, I could see how the grip could start to feel slippery after writing for a while). The nib was quite smooth (at least with water, they don't ink the pens before selling them), though the nib was a medium nib, not the fine nib I was looking for (they would have to order that in). I'm kinda bummed they don't stock any of the Pelikans - I really would've wanted to try out the M200 to compare it. Oh well.

I think I've ruled out the Pilot VP - I have much more interest in these two pens. Now I just have to decide between sleek and understated versus traditional with a possibility of nib swapping... :unsure:

Myrtle_T_Turtle

#39 parnesh

parnesh

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:03

Let me add to your confusion...Pilot Custom 74,91 or more importantly 92.

You get the 91 and 74 (and 92 if you know where to look) with pilot soft nibs. These are very springy...almost semi-flex. The 92 is a bit larger and heaver than the M200 and not much more expensive...

As a workhorse, L2K. Snap cap, nice nib, incognito design. As a nice pen to enjoy, the pilots are hard to beat or rather pilot nibs are hard to beat.

PS. I own a L2K, VP, m215, C92.

#40 kvz

kvz

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:00

Got a pilot decimo in grey and fine nib off eBay for 150 (AUSSIE DOLLAR) including shipping. Great buy, a nice fine smooth nib with a sleek design that is not over the top showoff but gives you an air of wlegance/style as you use it. Relatively low ink capacity may be the only downside. The clicking mechanism works nicely.definitely Worth considering.

Kev

#41 Myrtle_T_Turtle

Myrtle_T_Turtle

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:05

Just to update you all, I decided to get the Pelikan M200 from Richard Binder. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Also, thanks for all the feedback! I really appreciated it.

#42 superglueshoe

superglueshoe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:16

Just to update you all, I decided to get the Pelikan M200 from Richard Binder. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Great choice :)

#43 carlos.q

carlos.q

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:31

Excellent choice!

#44 Myrtle_T_Turtle

Myrtle_T_Turtle

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:37

Update:

The M200 arrived today - it's definitely a great pen! I may do a review on it in a week or two if you all would like me to (it'd be my first review).

Thanks again for all of the help!