Confused About Dip Pens

GMYoussef

> The OBLIQUE holders is where the real price difference comes in. Part is because of the metalwork for holding the nib in the offset position. But part is simply the artistic work of the pen maker. Prices range from the $2 Speedball oblique to well over $100 for custom oblique holders. I use a plastic $13 Peerless Oblique, and it does just fine for me. Others like the wood $20 Century Oblique holder.

Those holder should really be considered the bottom of the pile for oblique holders, i.e., the cheapest semi-serious holders. Above that price point is not just woodworking artistry. The better holders do not sacrifice writing performance for ease of manufacture. The pen makers are also pen users and their designs are expressions of the understanding of the user's needs. That said, the Peerless Oblique is not a bad holder, but I'd pay another two bucks and get the Speedball Deluxe, which I think feels better under the fingers. Still, the 'bargain' holder on my desk is the Zanerian (style) Oblique holder designed by Del Tysdal (available from the usual suspects). It's a very nice holder and costs under $40, about the same price as a Lamy Allstar.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• GMYoussef

• Mickey

• UDog

Thanks to all for the wealth of information above. I've some dip nibs given to me and as complimentary items from a paper purchase that I've been wanting to try out, but didn't have a dip pen. I've ordered one and a selection of nibs from Steve Engen of dippens.net. I look forward to exploring the dip pen writing experience.

Just a small update concerning dippens.net. Their website states that they will not entertain international sales/shipping. Kinda sucks really as they do have some nice holders. One of which I was interested in but is now unavailable to me. :(

Well, after a bit of chat with Mr Engen I now have two lovely dip pen holders heading my way! Reviews when they get here I guess :)

Which nibs do you recommend for regular mono-line writing, like journaling?

Edited by UDog

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

You can use a Zebra G fro mono-line writing. I find they are not really that flexible at all (or may touch is exceptionally light, which is unlikely).

The Zebra G is more suited for manga cartoon drawing.

I would really recommend the Hunt 512 by Speedball for a currently made nib that is useful for simple writing.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

The G nib (with attached manufacturer name, such as Zebra G, Nikko G, etc), while favored by a lot of artists (doesn't have to be Manga, that's just what popularized it), is nevertheless featured on the Desiderata fountain pen, primarily for flex writing. But for just getting into dip pens, that may be a little demanding. The Hunt (Speedball) 512 is a more forgiving if considerably less flexible nib that is closer to writing with a fountain pen because of its upturned tip (also makes it easier to draw with for those so inclined).

Thanks for all your help on nib selection for general writing.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

Not much help from me I'm afraid, still a beginner myself. My current favourite though is a Hiro 41. Smooth and flexible, very nice to use.