#1 trdsf

trdsf

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:57

I'm an old space nerd, so when I saw one of these it was a moral imperative to get one eventually.  Well, the timing was finally right -- I got this yesterday, and from a seller in the states so I wasn't paying as much for shipping as I was for the item.

It's more than a little reminiscent of the Parker 51 at the business end -- hooded nib, small opening and all -- and the piston mechanism works just fine.  It's very light, just 10g, but it doesn't feel flimsy.

However the nib does have some damage, so I'll have to figure out how to get it out of there and replace it.  Anyone with experience with these, I'm all ears.  :)

zl27vd.jpg

wvnz4o.jpg

rhvqtl.jpg

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."
--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie
My Flickr, if you're interested

#2 willard

willard

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 14:05

Well played!

I almost bought it, this very one or its brother, on a renowned online betting site.  It was coming from Russia, though, with love of course.

I almost bought it more than once, actually. The first time, I was too late. The second time, I just bought something else.

Perhaps the biggest problem for me is that I don't have a flat desk.

But I do (try to) have a chess table, and this would have been really nice.

Edited by willard, 05 June 2014 - 14:06.

#3 DaveBj

DaveBj

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2014 - 15:31

Nice.  As a former Russian linguist (my BA is in Russian) with the USAF and later with NSA, I would count that as a score.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick.  --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross ?Townsend? M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 , Platinum Balance F

DaveBj

#4 grainweevil

grainweevil

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2014 - 14:48

Ah, nice. I've eyed one of those before now, but desk space not being as vast and infinite as outer space...

Looks like it's by Soyuz, so if it's anything like it's less rocket-y comrade the hood should screw right off with a little gentle heat encouragement. 

Cheers, Al

#5 trdsf

trdsf

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2014 - 14:51

The Russian language thing is a little bit of the reason -- I took Russian for three quarters in college.  It's all gone now; I can read Cyrillic, and that's about it.  I got it mainly for being an artefact of the Space Race.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

#6 trdsf

trdsf

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2014 - 15:05

Ah, nice. I've eyed one of those before now, but desk space not being as vast and infinite as outer space...

Looks like it's by Soyuz, so if it's anything like it's less rocket-y comrade the hood should screw right off with a little gentle heat encouragement. 

Cheers, Al

Yes, it's definitely a Soyuz; I've heard mostly neutral to positive things about them.

How hot?  Hot water tap hot?  Hopefully... I'll give that a try.

And thanks!

Edited by trdsf, 06 June 2014 - 16:17.

#7 grainweevil

grainweevil

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2014 - 16:54

Ah, I used a heat gun, so can't really say. And definitely another positive for Soyuz from me; very impressed with mine. 

Cheers, Al

#8 trdsf

trdsf

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2014 - 17:20

Yeah, the hot tap didn't seem to be enough - it was worth a try, though.  I may send it out to be professionally handled, since I really don't want to break it.

i've heard these Soyuz models have a surprising amount of flex in the nib, especially considering it's hooded.  Don't know if I'll be able to get another Russian nib, but it might be worth crawling the Bay of E for them.

#9 betweenthelens

betweenthelens

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 16:41

Very cool!