CJ_ung

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 22:00

Hello all, 

I was thinking of buying a new pen. After researching a bit, I settled on getting either a TWSBI 580 or a Vac700. The problem is deciding which one. I've read a lot of reviews and whatnot, but I want to hear from you guys on the topic. Any info/advice is much appreciated. Thanks!!

-CJ

#2 SirVival

SirVival

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 22:12

I have both. Vac700 has the cooler filling system and holds a ton of ink. The 580 is the more wellrounded design overall.
But my score is Vac700 2 to 580 1, as I like large pens.
Be aware that the 580 piston tends to have some looseness to it (the knob at the end will never be tight and move a bit when filled (may only be my pen). OTOH, the Vac700 knob needs to be unscrewed for longer writing sessions or you need to remove the o-ring on the plunger.

Hope thar helps a bit!

#3 Joker4Eva

Joker4Eva

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 22:21

My unit's piston was sound. That said, it takes a wee bit more turning before it engages the piston, which I consider necessary for all piston fillers. Imagine if someone twisted that knob without think what it'll do?! That poor guy would then have ink everywhere! At least if it's a bit loose, and requires a bit more turning before the piston engages, you'll be able to rush up to him in those precious few moments and stop him from creating an inky mess.

#4 GUNGA GALUNGA

GUNGA GALUNGA

Extremely Rare

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:15

You're gonna wind up doing it sooner or later. So just go ahead and plunk down the 150+ and get both

#5 Water Ouzel

Water Ouzel

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:45

You're gonna wind up doing it sooner or later. So just go ahead and plunk down the 150+ and get both

Well, $135 for the pair from Goulet, anyway.

#6 Gaslight

Gaslight

faintly glowing...

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:13

Be aware that the 580 piston tends to have some looseness to it (the knob at the end will never be tight and move a bit when filled (may only be my pen). OTOH, the Vac700 knob needs to be unscrewed for longer writing sessions or you need to remove the o-ring on the plunger.

The looseness is easily fixed, Brian Goulet posted a 580 disassembly-video where he explains where the loose filler-knob problem comes from and how to correctly install the piston unit.

@topic:

I have both (580 an Vac700) and both are very nice. A single standard fill on the Vac700 seems to be the same amount of ink, if not a bit less than the 580. Completely filled the 700 holds more ink.

I like the bigger nib of the 700 and the filling mechanismen. But I hate the cap of the 700! It's much lighter than the cap of the 580 and feels and looks cheap. I wished the 700 had a smooth cap like the 580, preferably black like the filler knob, would look much better IMO.

The 580 is more or less without drawbacks (for this price range and type of pen), but it's nothing really amazing either.

If I could have only one of them, I'd choose the Vac700, it's a bit more special with its filling mechanismen and shares the easy nib-swapping and maintenance-possibilities with the 580.

What a strange world we live in, where people communicate by text more than ever before, yet the art of proper handwriting is seen as a thing from the past.

letter.png

#7 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2014 - 13:14

Mmm . . .

vac_700_ancient_copper_fpn.jpg

but GUNGA GALUNGA is right, you will end up getting both  :)

#8 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2014 - 13:55

I own one of each. Since I'm not real in love with either one, I think I can give an objective opinion.

The vac filler is just COOL! I love filling vac pens. But, because the pen holds so much ink, it takes a while before I get that joy again. The mechanism also makes it more difficult to clean the pen. The rubber bits are a bit more specialty and could be hard to replace in the future if something happens to the company. So, if you're making a choice, don't make it based on the filling mechanism. You don't experience this joy often enough for it to be important.

However, I find that the vac700 just has a more solid, quality feel to it. It is easy to write with. It's attractive. It is comfortable to hold. You do have to unscrew the top when you write, but that doesn't bother me.

Neither pen is particularly nice posted. 

But, I will say that the differences are a matter of degree. If you like TWSBI, these pens are comparable, and I think you would be happy with either one. TWSBI has done a lot of work to create good pens, and they are steadily improving in quality. It may not be my personal favorite brand, but I have no problem recommending the brand.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twsbi, 580, vac700, vs, help, new, decision, stub