Chartpak Will Not Service Pelikans Purchased Outside Of North America

stevejk13

post-85551-0-07818400-1401688568.jpg

Hi Pelikan fans,

I wanted to share my recent experience with my newly purchased M800, and regrettably, some horrible experience dealing with Chartpak. This reveals some important changes to the Pelikan's warranty policies, and I thought my experience may inform any prospect buyers of Pelikan fountain pens.

Long story short:

Chartpak will NOT service any Pelikan fountain pens purchased outside of North America even though you are the first owner with the original receipt. Never mind the service fees or Pelikan warranty; Chartpak management will REFUSE to service your pen under any circumstances. Period.

Just over a month ago, I stumbled upon a great bargain and purchased a Pelikan M800 fountain pen from a German retailer. To my dismay however, the F nib I received turned out to be troublesome and it just did not write correctly. I contacted the seller, and he suggested I send back the nib for a section swap but the shipping the pen back to Germany was going to cost me $95.00 UPS + weeks of waiting time (I live in Chicago, IL). I thought this was a little too expensive for me so I decided perhaps I can contact Chartpak and they will be able to help me out. It is a brand new pen and the pen comes with 3 year warranty after all.

Within the next couples days, I heard back from Abi Weeks and her response was: show us the receipt first. So I wrote her back with the copy of the receipt and the dealer stamp, and a few days later she wrote back to me saying that Chartpak will not service the pen, no explanations provided. The response was rather surprising for me because this was a brand new pen and I was the first owner. I wrote another email to Abi Weeks asking about the reasons for the refusal of services because I wanted to know that I would be able to repair my pen in the future should I have any problems with it. Abi only told me that Chatpak will not service the pen and it was the "decision made by the Chartpak management."

The only reason I could think of was because the pen was purchased from Germany, not America. Nevertheless, Chatpak's stance was rather absurd because the pen I purchased was defective to start with, never mind the 3 years warranty. I understand that sometimes when a product was purchased from outside the service country, companies charge service to to account for the labor cost, and I was okay with that. I have never experienced complete refusal of any kind services with no explanations of the refusal provided.

I don't know about other fountain pen users, but when I spend hundreds of dollars on a pen, I feel that I am also paying for the services. The hardware alone can never justify the high cost of these pens. When I pay a lot of money for a fountain pen, I want the confidence that I will be able to enjoy this writing instrument for a long time, and if I have any problems, they can be fixed, sometimes with a cost.

Pelikan's excellent warranty service was not a small part in my decision to purchase the new M800, and all the more reasons why the experience dealing with Chatpak was extremely disappointing. As far as I know, Chatpak is the only official repair services Pelikan has in North America. I don't know how I can go about repairing the pen in future if I have any problems with the pen. I guess I will have to go with other skilled third party repairman.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• stevejk13

• TheModernGent

• sargetalon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of thoughts...

- 95,- $ for shipment... how do you ship it - in a 10 feet container or what? There will for sure be a cheaper possibility...

- You gave your money to company A and you expect company B to do the work - even if they did not earn a penny?

To be honest: I am old school: if you love the advantages (low price) you have to accept the disadvantages (shipping all around the world.

I am sure, Chatpak will do repair - means: if you have problems in the future outside the warranty period, they will for sure service the pen. But I accept their decision of not dealing with pens bought outside the US. Period.

There are no facts, there is no truth - just a data to be manipulated...

- 95,- $ for shipment... how do you ship it - in a 10 feet container or what? There will for sure be a cheaper possibility...

- You gave your money to company A and you expect company B to do the work - even if they did not earn a penny?

I am sure, Chatpak will do repair - means: if you have problems in the future outside the warranty period, they will for sure service the pen. But I accept their decision of not dealing with pens bought outside the US. Period.

1. The cheaper shipping was $40 USPS but they told be the shipment could not be tracked and it will get there when it gets there (5 weeks +). I was not comfortable with that.

2. Chartpak is not a retailer sales company. They do the repair services for Pelikan. I was prepared to pay the services charges. That option was not made available to me.

3. Chartpak will not repair the pen in the future and it was the whole point of writing this post. I do not accept decision not dealing with pens bought outside the service country. Is everything you own bought from your home country? Do you never move? When you buy a Samsung TV or a Toyota car, do you expect to send them to Asia if you have problems with them?

Edited by stevejk13

Does the warrantee document say you get a worldwide warrantee, if not its country specific, if it does complain to Pelikan direct.

In ripoff England I can send a pen the America fully tracked and insured for around $18 so I am sure in America you could find a lower cost option, as America is normally quite a bit cheaper than England for just about everything.

Unfortunately this is just one of the joys of a cross border transaction, most of the time they go fine, but when there is a problem, it's usually a pain in the proverbial ;)

Paul

@ 1.) check again - this is not possible. We talk about a tiny little piece of gold that fits in every kind of envelope. Even if you send the complete pen, you do not have to use the complete box. Check USPS, the Priority Mail International® Small Flat Rate Box costs about 24,- $, including insurance and tracking.

@ 2.) if you would really like to pay (what I would say is nonsense, because it's still under warranty), throw the bill away and send them the pen. I am 100% sure they will repair it if you pay it. It was a present from a friend. Period.

@ 3.) see point 2. For the rest: sure, if I look for warranty, I would send it to the place where I bought it. We do not talk about the country of production but of sale. And this is understandable and also common sense. Only big international companies have "international warranties". Again: if Chatpak would do the warranty repair without having the possibility to earn the money (by selling the pen before) or getting the money back from Pelikan, it's understandable that they do not do it.

Resume: unscrew the nib unit, send it back and everything is resolved.

There are no facts, there is no truth - just a data to be manipulated...

I'd definitely sent Pelikan HQ a polite note (not a rant) expressing your disappointment, if for no other reason to make them aware. Maybe they get involved and solve your problem...

At this point, I'd just send it to a nibmeister and have it tuned. Cheaper than shipping to Germany (it appears) and better than paying Chartpak service charges.

Chartpak is picky about what they will repair. I have a M400 that the section came off of. I emailed Chartpak, same person wrote back that they wouldn't repair the pen because I bought it second hand. Original owner bought it from a US store. I repaired it myself, following recommendations from experienced posters here. After this experience I have stopped buying anything Pelikan, period. There are lots of other makes of pens that work as well.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Sorry for your bad experience stevejk13. I can't comment much on your experience other than to say...

-What you describe has been Chartpak's standing policy since around 2008. Love it or hate it, that's the way it is. Most of my purchases are overseas so I get no support from Chartpak regarding the warranty. They have serviced my foreign purchased pens out-of-warranty for a fee so that will be an option for you in the future.

-I've found the most economical, timely, and trackable shipping from the US to overseas to be USPS First Class Package International. After having looked at all the options, this is the way to go for shipping. You can get a quote on USPS' site. It's often overlooked because the site buries this option for some reason.

Good luck.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Sorry for your bad experience stevejk13. I can't comment much on your experience other than to say...

-What you describe has been Chartpak's standing policy since around 2008. Love it or hate it, that's the way it is. Most of my purchases are overseas so I get no support from Chartpak regarding the warranty. They have serviced my foreign purchased pens out-of-warranty for a fee so that will be an option for you in the future.

-I've found the most economical, timely, and trackable shipping from the US to overseas to be USPS First Class Package International. After having looked at all the options, this is the way to go for shipping. You can get a quote on USPS' site. It's often overlooked because the site buries this option for some reason.

Good luck.

I am really surprised they serviced your pens for a fee. What they told me was that they wouldn't service my pen in any case. I offered to pay, they refused to service my pen at all. So, I stopped buying Pelikan, figuring that someday this might be a real problem, if I had a pen I couldn't fix myself. Yes, you can send it to Germany, but I just let myself get interested in other pens. The Pelikans I still have I am careful with. I recommend Pelikan to others, they are a good pen. I am just not buying any more of them. I didn't mind paying for service. I have paid Montblanc to service a few pens. Chartpak refused to fix my pen, even for a fee. So, they will do it now? That would make sense.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I'd definitely sent Pelikan HQ a polite note (not a rant) expressing your disappointment, if for no other reason to make them aware. Maybe they get involved and solve your problem...

And write that note with a Lamy, or a Sheffer, or Montblanc, or any pen that isn't from Pelikan! :P

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

Yes, USPS offered some cheaper shipping options than UPS but the USPS International Priority ($40.00 for a small bubble envelope) only offered tracking within US territories. Once it left the country, there was no tracking available. Another options was to add delivery confirmation form which the recipient would sign at the time of delivery and USPS would mail it back to me (takes another 3 weeks since the time of delivery). No confirmation could be provided online. I understand Royal British Mail and the German mail services provide better services. This is the current state of US Postal Service. I sent the nib via UPS and received it back from the seller a few days ago.

Chartpak will refuse to service the pen, even for a fee. This is was the official response from Chartpak, not my speculations. I know this is really surprising and that is why I was really disappointed to hear that. Honestly, I would not even care about the warranty if Chartpak would repair the pen for a fee. I would gladly pay what ever the labor cost and service fees they charge me. The company will not repair the pen because the pen was purchased in Germany. Forget the fees, they will not look at your pen under any circumstances.

It is not my intention to say never buy Pelikan pens. I will still keep mine because I think it still is a wonderful pen. I am just surprised that the company's official repair services in US will not service the foreign purchased the pens, even for a fee. Like some of you suggested, perhaps I can contact Pelikan HQ in Germany in the future and see if they can help me out. Otherwise, I will have to look for other skilled third party repairman in US. I just wish I had known about this before I purchased the pen and I wanted to share my experience with other prospect Pelikan buyers so they can make more informed choices.

I hope you keep us apprised. So, you travel outside the U.S. and buy a new Pelikan from an authorized retailer, then return and discover that there is no warranty. I am wondering if the company is on sound footing.

I recommend you send your pen to Richard Binder, or go to one of the many pen shows he attends and have him fix your nib. It will probably cost less than $50 and the pen will write better than it would have if Chartpak had worked on it...I have had him customize/repair a number of fountain pens and have always been amazed at the results.

I don't know about Pelikan warranties but this is quite common with cameras and lenses where the difference in buying from a company in Hong Kong or one in the U K could easily be several hundred pounds. Photography forums have long debates over whether it is wise to buy from an authorised dealer in your home country ( this could include for example Amazon.co.uk) or from a so- called"grey" dealer. If things go wrong, Nikon, Canon etc, will definitely NOT service or fix the kit.

Caveat emptor, it would appear.

Photography forums have long debates over whether it is wise to buy from an authorised dealer in your home country ( this could include for example Amazon.co.uk) or from a s

so- called"grey" dealer.

I gather from the original post that the the pen was purchased from an authorized retailer, though he can clarify that. The issue wasn't whether Chartpak wouldn't service it because of the dealer, but because of the country where it was purchased. I'm not familiar with photography, but a problem with pens, especially Pelikans, is that it takes weeks to determine whether it is performing as it should and whether the nib is right. if the company won't honor its 30 day warranty, the message is not "buyer beware," but don't buy if you happen to be in Germany or Belgium and see a Pelikan that you'd like to buy. When I bought a watch in Zurich, the warranty explicitly covered it world-wide. Good quality pens should be the same. My opinion is, you either stand behind the product or your don't.

Not being able to get my pen fixed even if I paid for the repair was a deal breaker for me with Pelikan. Chartpak wants you to buy new and from a dealer within their franchise of territory. Buy used or buy elsewhere, and they won't even fix it for a fee. Other makers will fix pens for a fee. Pelikan's hodgepodge repair policies don't seem to be an advantage to the consumer.

I was going to respond to this thread.

But there is someone who keeps telling very knowledgeable posters that what they correctly know about cheaper posting methods is wrong.

Forget it. No use me being told the same thing. :rolleyes:

I guess there are some who will still insist the earth is flat even after you show them a globe.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I had to send a pen back to a German seller for an exchange once. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't so much. 'Course I only got blah-blah tracking, Jimmy.

Not being able to get my pen fixed even if I paid for the repair was a deal breaker for me with Pelikan. Chartpak wants you to buy new and from a dealer within their franchise of territory. Buy used or buy elsewhere, and they won't even fix it for a fee. Other makers will fix pens for a fee. Pelikan's hodgepodge repair policies don't seem to be an advantage to the consumer.

Yikes, and I just bought a new Cognac. Sounds like Chartpak doesn't even want to service their customers with older pens, only brand new. No more Pelikans for me. You want me to buy your now over expensive pens and not service them when they are out of warranty?

I'm sticking with Montblanc. Anyone want to buy some used, near mint, mint condition Pelikans?

Edited by RudyR

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

I was going to respond to this thread.

But there is someone who keeps telling very knowledgeable posters that what they correctly know about cheaper posting methods is wrong.

Forget it. No use me being told the same thing. :rolleyes:

I guess there are some who will still insist the earth is flat even after you show them a globe.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

My blab about USPS is really tangent to this story. I wrote here what I was told by the USPS clerk, and I ended up using the UPS because wasn't comfortable shipping a $250 nib unit without a proper tracking. I never said USPS was the wrong way to about it.

Maybe the USPS clerk that I was talking to was not being very helpful and didn't explain all my options (they are not the most friendly bunch after all), or maybe I simply misunderstood. I don't work at USPS so I have to go about what I was told by the people who worked there.

Is this really so important to the discussion here that I have to be ridiculed like that?