Midland Pen Show, Lichfield, Staffordshire, Uk

ianpw

Its that time of year again, TIME FOR THE MIDLAND PEN SHOW! The venue is packed again with dealer tables so it should be fun.

This was our first ever pen show 7 years ago and it just gets more and more fun each time, plenty of vintage pens and more than enough of new pens-certainly enough pens to give you brain freeze!

Just to rest your tired brains this time why not take a stroll around Lichfield and have a look at the Lichfield Folk Festival that takes place over the week end,

As usual we will be meeting up on Saturday evening for a few drinks (or more) and a bite to eat, we'll be meeting up at the George Hotel in the bar if you fancy joining us - let me know if you can make it.

Ian

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CasmiUK

• ianpw

• da vinci

• Beechwood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Ian

I'm staying at the George this year so I will be arriving sometime early Saturday afternoon. Looking forward to meeting up with you all on 21st for a bite to eat and a drink or two (or three or.........) :thumbup:

David

I'm absolutely devastated. I have a more pressing engagement this year so I won't be attending :(

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

I want to visit an English pen shows sometime

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

I'm absolutely devastated. I have a more pressing engagement this year so I won't be attending :(

Same for me, too, Jim ... have fun everyone.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

• 2 weeks later...

Will be there this afternoon - bring on the dinner! :D

"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Cunning plans are here again'"

Twitter: @CasmiUK

The gang are meeting at the George Hotel in the bar, dinner is at Ego (9;30pm - popular place!!) Note how we get the most important things sorted first - wine & food then the pens.

But for those that can't wait until Sunday a few of us are meeting at the upstairs meeting room at Lichfield Library, The friary, Lichfield this is about 5 minutes walk from the George. The meeting is a WES Discovery Day just a pre show chance to chat about pens and stuff. Free entry to all plus free coffee/Tea & biscuits.

Hope to see you there.

Ian

Any pics would be very welcome and maybe some what happened and what you bought.

The Midland is a favourite for many reasons not least of which is the free tea and biscuits and the convivial hosts, but reports on other high points would be great.

It was a most enjoyable day, once again. Time spent in the company of Ian, Ann, John and David is never wasted!

I only bought one pen - and I broke my rule to do it. I never purchase anything until I've been around the show once, but the gentleman from Onoto put a pen into my hand and I was a goner!

It turns out it wasn't supposed to be sold as it's the prototype, but I assured them that it will be treasured.

It's my first Onoto - and it is not likely to be my last.

"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Cunning plans are here again'"

Thanks Casmi, and very envious of the Onoto, I went looking for the tortoiseshell version but sold out before I heard the news. First time I went to the Midland we had an FPN table and had some excellent banter plus pen and ink try outs, hints and tips.

It was a most enjoyable day, once again. Time spent in the company of Ian, Ann, John and David is never wasted!

I only bought one pen - and I broke my rule to do it. I never purchase anything until I've been around the show once, but the gentleman from Onoto put a pen into my hand and I was a goner!

It turns out it wasn't supposed to be sold as it's the prototype, but I assured them that it will be treasured.

It's my first Onoto - and it is not likely to be my last.

That's the problem with Onoto pens CasmiUK - one Onoto is never enough :bunny01: That pen you purchased was gorgous and you are very lucky to have it.

Thanks Casmi, and very envious of the Onoto, I went looking for the tortoiseshell version but sold out before I heard the news. First time I went to the Midland we had an FPN table and had some excellent banter plus pen and ink try outs, hints and tips.

Sorry to read that you missed out on the Onoto Tortoiseshell, it is a really nice version of the Magna Classic. I put my order in the moment that Onoto announced the release date and I am glad that I did. You might still be able to purchase one of these pens by looking around the Internet at various pen dealers. I saw one of these for sale at the Midland Pen Show yesterday but I don't know if it was still unsold at the end of the day.

That's the problem with Onoto pens CasmiUK - one Onoto is never enough :bunny01: That pen you purchased was gorgous and you are very lucky to have it.

Oh, I know how lucky I am, David! LOL!I tried to upload a photo of it, but I've never managed to figure out the photo thing here...

tab on More reply options bottom right.

For Full Post a box will come up which allows you to link to the picture on your computer,

think click on attach this file box and you get a pic like this and if you can identify all the pens in this pic then you know more than me.

post-2745-0-04823400-1403535632_thumb.jpg

Aha! Think I've done it!

Thanks, Beechwood!

If all has worked, this will be showing a picture of my lovely pen in Stardust Red. :)

Another

attachicon.gifOnoto crop.jpg

Aha! Think I've done it!

Thanks, Beechwood!

If all has worked, this will be showing a picture of my lovely pen in Stardust Red. :)

Doesn't it clash a little with your neon yellow hair Cas? !!!!!!!!

Another really great Midland show made all the better by the visitors and the dealers - and of course CasmiUK's neon yellow hair !!! The usual friendly crowd about with a few missing - Jimothy, you were on the missing list and you Graham you were sadly missed as we had run out of Williamson's tea!! Also saw and met some new faces. To me it seemed as though the new pen manufacturers and resellers were doing the best business - we now have 4 regular new pen companies now at most of our shows.

Thanks for taking the effort people and really hoped that you enjoyed the day.

Ian

So Casmi it was you who managed to pursuade Onoto to sell you that pen! Congratulations it is a wonderful pen.

IIRC Sarj, Ray Walker and Gary at F G Thomas all had Tortoishell Onoto's up for grabs. I came close to it, but after having seen the Onoto Heritage Plunger filler I am going to bide my time to purchase one of those.

Had Oxonian put right a nib for me on a Pelikan I love but haven't used for ages - it is like having a new pen :)

Finally, bought a pen made of vintage celluloid from Brian at Worcester Pen Co. My first but not the last buy from them.

Sorry no pics as the pen isn't with me.