The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Has Sailor Discontinued Epinard, Grenade, Sky High, Ect.....

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 alarickc

alarickc

Inknut

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2014 - 19:18

This came up this morning over at the thread for the new Sailor Seasons inks in Market Watch. Has anyone heard anything about this? I looked at Sailor's Japanese site and they don't have any of the old colors listed other than Blue, Black, and Blue-Black. Thoughts?

fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20res

Sponsored Content

#2 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:29

they will more or less replacing the inks with perhaps the old 4 season variants... yes they are discontinuing almost everything from the present Jentle Line it was rumored they will be reintruducing previously discontinued inks

#3 superglueshoe

superglueshoe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:22

Noooo. :( gotta stock up on sky high then

#4 Lyander0012

Lyander0012

One Who Wanders With The Water

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:42

Note that last I heard, Sailor was *about* to discontinue said inks, so perhaps they'll still be in production for a while. Here's to hoping we all get to stock up on our faves!

Kevin

"The price of an object should not only be what you had to pay for it, but also what you've had to sacrifice in order to obtain it." - The Wisdom of The Internet

#5 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Forum Squirrel

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:47

Luckily I'm currently boycotting Sailor. That said, Epinard is one of my all time favorite inks. I also love Grenade and the orange and pink versions of their Jentle inks. Such beautiful colors.

Sailor smells like ink. I just absolutely love the smell. Not only does it smell like ink should, it somehow tickles my memory and makes me think of a library my parents say I'm too young to remember. It annoys them that I can describe it. Apparently I was 2 years old when it moved to its current location. But, I can describe the stairs, the stuffed animal heads, the tables, and the checkout desk. 

Either it made a big impact at a really young age, or my parents really described it well over the years. My parents also say that smell is something that was big for me as a little kid: I used to smell carpets in a new house. Thankfully I don't remember that! But, to this day, smell is big for me. I no longer kneel down and smell carpets, but I do associate smells with houses and buildings. The smell of Sailor ink is forever associated with the old library. The new library has its own smell, and, after stepping into it after about 11 years, that smell brought back memories too.

So, just what is that smell in Sailor ink, and why do I associate it with a library that I haven't been in since I was 2 years old?

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

#6 Lyander0012

Lyander0012

• Member - Gold

• 1,063 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:00

I've only one bottle of Sailor ink to date (Souten), and it has a heavy alkaline smell. I'm thinking varnish, maybe? The scent of aged treated wood in a library might somehow mirror that aroma.

Actually, while I do know from research that Sailor inks are heavily alkaline, I'm not all that sure about the pH of wood varnish. I haven't come into contact with any in a long while now so I'm relying on fairly old memories, but from what I can recall, the smell is somewhat similar. 

Kevin

P.S.

The smell is a touch too strong for me, to be perfectly honest. It isn't bad, per se, but a bit too sharp for my nose. My favourite ink aroma would have to be J. Herbin Vert Empire, I think; it's nice and mellow, vaguely reminiscent of something sweet I'd tasted at some point in the past.

Also, Waski_the_Squirrel, may I ask why you're boycotting Sailor inks? Just curious.

"The price of an object should not only be what you had to pay for it, but also what you've had to sacrifice in order to obtain it." - The Wisdom of The Internet

#7 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• 5,373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:02

4 Sailor Inks soon... since I'll be getting Shigure

#8 superglueshoe

superglueshoe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:04

Luckily I'm currently boycotting Sailor. That said, Epinard is one of my all time favorite inks. I also love Grenade and the orange and pink versions of their Jentle inks. Such beautiful colors.

Sailor smells like ink. I just absolutely love the smell. Not only does it smell like ink should, it somehow tickles my memory and makes me think of a library my parents say I'm too young to remember. It annoys them that I can describe it. Apparently I was 2 years old when it moved to its current location. But, I can describe the stairs, the stuffed animal heads, the tables, and the checkout desk. 

Either it made a big impact at a really young age, or my parents really described it well over the years. My parents also say that smell is something that was big for me as a little kid: I used to smell carpets in a new house. Thankfully I don't remember that! But, to this day, smell is big for me. I no longer kneel down and smell carpets, but I do associate smells with houses and buildings. The smell of Sailor ink is forever associated with the old library. The new library has its own smell, and, after stepping into it after about 11 years, that smell brought back memories too.

So, just what is that smell in Sailor ink, and why do I associate it with a library that I haven't been in since I was 2 years old?

I think it's phenol, they stick phenol in their inks.

#9 superglueshoe

superglueshoe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:06

Also, how many bottles does everyone plan to stock up with?

#10 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• 5,373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:13

something that will last for 5 years? my estimate

#11 alarickc

alarickc

Inknut

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:25

I'm planning on three bottles each of Epinard, Grenade, and Sky High plus one each of Apricot and either péche or Ultra Marine. That's in addition to my current one each of Grenade, Epinard, and Apricot.

#12 superglueshoe

superglueshoe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:30

Yea, 2 more bottles in addition to my current bottle of sky high should last me a while. I was planning on buying a bottle of apricot sometime in the future but I guess that plan has to be fast forwarded now.

#13 dragondazd

dragondazd

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:55

whaaaaaat.

Just snapped up a grenade on Amazon and noticed Epnard is effectively out ($31/bottle remain) whaaaat. I love that color!

Not decided on whether I want to try the peche or sky high before they're gone. I found Apricot to be a *shrug* for me, it's nice but life will go on without it.

#14 *Mirjam*

*Mirjam*

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:43

I think I will buy an extra bottle of the ultramarine. I love that color.
Always lurking, sometimes posting.

#15 dduran

dduran

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:06

I think it's phenol, they stick phenol in their inks.

This. This accounts for the smell and their resistance against biological contamination :)

#16 alarickc

alarickc

Inknut

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:42

This. This accounts for the smell and their resistance against biological contamination :)

Would explain a lot, Iroshizuku also has the same smell, just not as strong, and I've never heard of it being contaminated either.

#17 Lyander0012

Lyander0012

• Member - Gold

• 1,063 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 13:57

Makes it a good experimentation ink, then. While I do appreciate the contamination resistance, the smell sometimes puts me off writing, it's just that strong.

Hmm, I think I'll be getting a bottle of Ultramarine before they're all out. Shigure can wait for now :P

#18 saskia_madding

saskia_madding

Donor Pen

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 18:01

I think I'll pick up 3 x sky high, 2 x epinard (I have a LOT of greens, so I'm hoping 2 will be enough), and 1 x apricot.  That should be enough, right?

#19 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• 5,373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 18:03

you know what the only non discontinued Sailor ink I have is a Kiwaguro and the rest are all of the 4 season inks... <_< Sou-ten Tokiwa-Matsu and the newly added Shigure

I do hope they bring back Kin-Mokusei... @_@

Edited by Algester, 02 June 2014 - 18:04.

#20 saskia_madding

saskia_madding

Donor Pen

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 18:06

Kin-mokusei and apricot are nearly identical.  Check this out - http://www.fountainp...chromatography/.

Sponsored Content

|