Conway Stewart Lever Fill Feedback.

Howitzer1

Hello fellow CS fans.

I am considering pulling the trigger on a Churchill LE that the local pen store has. It is a lever fill, versus cartridge, but that is what is available, can not seem to find it anywhere in cc. I have checked the reputable online stores recommended on the forum as well. Does anyone have any feedback as to durability, it being prone to opening accidentally, etc.

Thanks so much,

Cody

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul80

• Ghost Plane

• ArchiMark

• Happy Harry

You'll want a pen case for it to avoid accidents as it's not a leave it rolling around in a backpack kind of filler system. I've had 8 and gotten solid use out of them for years with only one leak nicely repaired by CS. See some of my Churchills in the color thread discussion. I actually prefer them to the c/c for flow, performance and ease of fill. I'm not a shirt pocket carry kind of girl, so the men will have to chime in on that, but I'd go for it. :thumbup:

I've carried lever fill pens in my shirt pocket without incident.

Watch out for the lever on the Churchill, the J-Bar used has so little inbuilt spring to it that it offers vertualy zero resistance to the leaver, so it's very easy for the leaver to catch and get pulled open.

It's an issue CS are aware of but apparently chose to do nothing about. :( which is a shame because other than that and its ink sac eating abilities its an excellent pen.

Paul

Have used several Churchill lever pens.

Overall, have had very good experience with them.

Great pens!

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

I have many lever fill vintage pens. If you have not used lever fill pens before, one big difference from other systems is that cleaning/rinsing them out is a bit more cumbersome, and takes a bit more coordination. For that reason I tend to avoid using more pigmented types of ink in those pens.

Huh. My experience with the Churchill is diametrically opposed as it seems easier to me. But I have to agree that heavily sheening inks like the Herbin 1670 will stick to the inside of the sack like fur on teeth.

Lever fillers are more prone to "spitting" ink when not wanted by virtue of design but generally it's not such an issue unless the lever doesn't seat as well as it should or children are involved!! A greater consideration to pen selection is how you intend to use it, if it sits on your desk and gets used when needed then filling system is irrelevant. If your going to use it in meetings, for instance, with lots of short note taking then you need to consider the cap as threaded caps are a pain if you've got to be constantly putting them on and off then a slip cap or a ball point /pencil are preferable. Of course if it's going in and out of your pocket a lot then the chance ( how ever small) of a mishap increase. So my advice is to first ensure the pen will meet your daily needs, it's a costly exercise if it doesn't.

The specific question is about the lever on a CS, as opposed to levers in general. I too would be interested in an answer, as I am considering purchasing a CS Churchill.

Google Conway Stewart Churchill and wade through the information to find everything good and bad about this pen and then make your choice.

A lot of owners are very happy and a lot have had issues that have never been resolved, I am in the latter so obviously I am biased ;) the filling system is very badly implemented on this model and it has been prone to just ripping the sac of its nipple, but others have reported no issue. Perhapse some use their pen more than others so the sac gets damaged quicker than the occasional user or display owner.

Paul

Google Conway Stewart Churchill and wade through the information to find everything good and bad about this pen and then make your choice.

A lot of owners are very happy and a lot have had issues that have never been resolved, I am in the latter so obviously I am biased ;) the filling system is very badly implemented on this model and it has been prone to just ripping the sac of its nipple, but others have reported no issue. Perhapse some use their pen more than others so the sac gets damaged quicker than the occasional user or display owner.

Paul

FWIW, my understanding regarding your point about the lever filler system design, is that the early Churchill lever fillers had a flawed pressure bar design such that over time, as the lever was opened and closed, the metal bar eventually cut through the sac. Supposedly, once this was discovered, CS changed the design to avoid this problem. Hence, my comments about the lever filler being OK. My comment assumed that one has the newer lever system design.

Hope this is clear....and if I've mispoken, I'm sure someone will correct me.... ;)

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

The specific question is about the lever on a CS, as opposed to levers in general. I too would be interested in an answer, as I am considering purchasing a CS Churchill.

This model has a poor record regarding lever fill as already mentioned, has the "fix" solved the issue entirely isn't know. If it hasn't then every time there is a sac issue the pen needs to be repaired by an authorized agent otherwise the warranty is voided ( how simply unscrewing the barrel voids warranty is questionable though). Really c/c is the preferred option at this point to avoid any possible future issues , reinforced by the numerous QC issues of late. At least knowing there have been issues with lever fillers and these supposedly resolved you can make an informed decision.

FWIW, my understanding regarding your point about the lever filler system design, is that the early Churchill lever fillers had a flawed pressure bar design such that over time, as the lever was opened and closed, the metal bar eventually cut through the sac. Supposedly, once this was discovered, CS changed the design to avoid this problem. Hence, my comments about the lever filler being OK. My comment assumed that one has the newer lever system design.

Hope this is clear....and if I've mispoken, I'm sure someone will correct me.... ;)

I hope that is true, although when I asked about mine and the hope they had fixed the problem all I got was a curt reply telling me I had invalidated my warrantee by opening the pen to find out what was wrong with it.

The rapid shoot down of my post pointing out the design error actually completely missed the point that the pen was out of warrantee so I was actually looking to get it fixed and was quite willing to pay for any modifications. The reply just left me with the view that they had never fixed the problem and where quite happy to have dissatisfied customers, this was enforced by the way the forum staff killed the thread quickly as well, like they will do with this one as well I suppose. ;)

FWIW Mine had a new sac only a few months ago and already the new sac is showing signs of being damaged and its only been filled twice in that time as can be seen in the photo below.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l312/Paul-80/2014-06-12162744_zps0a1c2b1e.jpg

Edited by Paul80

• 4 weeks later...

I had my Marlborough Red Ripple Ebonite sent back to them three times to stop the leaking coming from the lever bar against the sac. All three times were under warranty but I had to pay postage [special delivery] so it cost me almost £30... the leak is less now but is still there... it is appalling thing to say [and typically English] but I just sort of gave up on what was a very expensive pen... I hope ONOTO will gee up their quality control [and also gee up some of their preferred dealers who were less than helpful during all this].

Shame because being British I did like the idea of supporting a British pen company [even if they don't have any actual connection to the historic Conway Stewart, which is true of ONOTO too although I have heard much better things about their customer care].

i had older lever fill which would catch onto the trim of your shirt pocket and the nib and cap suddenly spurted ink if you nonchalantly put your pen in the pocket.

make sure your lever is snug and flush against barrel

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

I know that Vanness Pen Shop in Little Rock, Arkansas has a large stock of Conway Stewart Churchill's with cartridge converters. Many are the recently discontinued colors.

Mike and Lisa Vanness are super people to deal with and I've always found their prices to be competitive. There website is https://vanness1938.com/.

- Grayling

I know that Vanness Pen Shop in Little Rock, Arkansas has a large stock of Conway Stewart Churchill's with cartridge converters. Many are the recently discontinued colors.

Mike and Lisa Vanness are super people to deal with and I've always found their prices to be competitive. There website is https://vanness1938.com/

- Grayling

Thank you for the kind words Mr. Hill! We do have many colors left- and just requested a few more of those that remain.

vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/VintagePen/vanness.jpg
Selling fountain pens, ink, paper & related items since 1938

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping you bring these to the DC show to look at and maybe purchase. The Churchill is a lovely pen.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

Mags - They're going to have a few with them... I stopped by the shop while they were packing for the show and got to sit and play with the pens while they were getting ready to travel. I don't remember how many of the regular Churchills I saw in the cases, there were several. I got distracted with the WWI LE and some of the Onotos Lisa was getting ready to go.

-- dreg