Buyer Beware -- Lamy Safari On Ebay

melissa59

I recently purchased an apple green Lamy Safari (my second).

This one is different than the first. It has a black cross top. I do not believe this color was ever sold with a black cross top. I'm returning it today.

On looking more closely at the ads, I noticed that the seller has sold quite a few orange Lamy Safaris with a black cross top.

These may not be "fake" parts but they don't seem authentic to me. If these colors are legit, please let me know.

Now it appears the seller has changed his name but is still selling odd pens. Today I noticed an aquamarine pen is being sold with a black cross top.

If curious, I'll share the seller's IDs with you via a private message as I'm not sure if publishing the name would be an FPN violation or not.

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arcadeflow

• printhardcopy

• Osmaroid

• melissa59

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shaporama, I am aware that the recently-released pink pen listed in the link you posted has a black cross top, as does the neon yellow that was released about the same time. But last I checked, there were no new releases of the apple green, orange or aquamarine blue, all which came with a cross top that matched the pen color.

Anyone else have an opinion on this? I'm still inclined to think this seller is operating slightly out of bounds.

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

I confess to being less informed about Safaris than perhaps many others; however unless I am misreading your post, you have implied (or suspect) that the seller is passing off counterfeit Safaris. I think such a conclusion may be misguided on a number of levels: first, Brian Goulet himself has said that the only Safari out now that doesn't have a black X is the white pen, this would seem to include the green, orange or blue Safaris you mention above. Secondly, why would any seller go to the trouble of fabricating fake Safaris when the relatively cheap price of these pens hardly seems to justify the effort?

No opinion, since I've not kept up with current Safari edition changes. Missed neon yellow, and tempting new coral.

Once this does get sorted out, a photo of the changes in recent models would be a good addition to our old Safari color, LE thread.

There's nifty color chart too that needs revision.

wait it has always been Lamy's signature to mark the X on the finnel of the cap to mark it as a fountain pen... unless you think the seller is changing the body to ball point which would be then a click type or an RB which would have a - sign Safaris and Al-Stars only

Edited by Algester

My Lamy Safari Apply Green has a green cross top, not black, so it is quite possible that you're correct.

At this point, I'm not sure what to think. If the new line of black cross-top pens is legit (orange, aquamarine and apple green) like the new pink, then the term "limited edition" doesn't mean much, though I have to say that I like the look of the black cross cap. Thankfully, I'm not a collector who needs to have every color in every variation.

Here are photos of my aquamarine and apple green and the one with the black cross that I just got. To be honest, I rather like the black cross and would have kept the pen if it did not have a hairline crack at the insertion point of the cross. Below that are partial photos of the orange and aquamarine for sale on eBay.

I'd love it if someone could jump in and say for sure whether this is legit or not. If it is, I'll ask the seller for a replacement instead of a refund.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc489/disneymelissa59/Fountain%20Pen/bluegreen.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc489/disneymelissa59/Fountain%20Pen/orange.jpghttp://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc489/disneymelissa59/Fountain%20Pen/aquamarine.jpg

very odd.. are these alternate cap editions intended for sale in other countries?

There was once conversation of limited runs of 200.. don't quote me on this. it's late, and my memory on this is vague

edited to inquire, other than the cap crack, which is imho significant, and clear reason to return, is there other issues that suggest less than typical Safari?

Not stating/suggesting these are.. don't want to dis a seller/bread/butter on their table.. but do you see other issues that suggest Lamy seconds? I honestly thought there were no seconds sold. This might just be a quirk. The crack would bother me, ABS is tough material.

Edited by pen2paper

Perhaps you should post this in the LAMY FORUM...

It's a warning about a potential scam, so I think this is the right place...

I recently purchased an apple green Lamy Safari (my second).

This one is different than the first. It has a black cross top. I do not believe this color was ever sold with a black cross top. I'm returning it today.

On looking more closely at the ads, I noticed that the seller has sold quite a few orange Lamy Safaris with a black cross top.

These may not be "fake" parts but they don't seem authentic to me. If these colors are legit, please let me know.

Now it appears the seller has changed his name but is still selling odd pens. Today I noticed an aquamarine pen is being sold with a black cross top.

If curious, I'll share the seller's IDs with you via a private message as I'm not sure if publishing the name would be an FPN violation or not.

I regularly buy pens from Ebay. So I am curious to know the seller's both Ids. You may please send me a personal message. (Anyway, if something is NOT fake it has to be authentic. Isn't it?)

the Neon Yellow has a black finnel hmm what does this mean and the Neon Coral as well I'm not sure about the Orange one but seems black from Brian's video maybe the first production LE safaris had a different color finnel than the second batch production who knows...

Edited by Algester

Perhaps you should post this in the LAMY FORUM...

No "LAMY FORUM" exists on FPN. Lamy discussions occur in Miscellaneous (Other) Brands forum. It would be nice, however, if we had a separate forum for Lamy.

Regarding what may seem to be 'FrankenLamys,' Bill from Singapore who is printhardcopy on eBay may have a definitive answer.

Regards, Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

Hi everyone...just happen to see this thread.

Yes. aquamarine never produce any black cross top.

It is produce on year 2011 and never heard of that it been reproduce again with different black cross top.

you guys purchase lamy must with precaution cos there is one country (i dont wish to mention them) have started producing fake lamy.

Can TS provide me the link for me ?

Edited by printhardcopy

WhatsApp me at +65 93682205 For Faster Reply

http://goo.gl/GAvll Classified Sales in FPN

http://stores.ebay.com/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store USA

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store UK

Old Sale Thread with Feedbacks From Customers.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2upg08z.jpg

Fake one engraving is not etched properly and deeply.

http://i62.tinypic.com/11ax3wz.jpg

Lamy safari engraving wording is etched deeply.

Edited by printhardcopy

WhatsApp me at +65 93682205 For Faster Reply

http://goo.gl/GAvll Classified Sales in FPN

http://stores.ebay.com/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store USA

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store UK

Old Sale Thread with Feedbacks From Customers.

Thank you to all who replied. I purchased two pens from this seller, two or three days apart. The second one just arrived. Unlike the first, it came with the internal converter. Even it appears to be bogus. It looks just like a Lamy, but unlike my Lamy converters, this one does not operate smoothly. Instead, it feels jerky, as if it hangs on every turn. So, it's going back, too.

Printhardcopy and bbbiswas, I will send you private messages shortly.

To everyone else, please be careful. This seller is moving a LOT of inventory -- even though his sellers have few feedback responses. They are probably all waiting for a refund before they leave bad news. ;-)