Cross Townsend - Where Do I Go From Here?

Pub

Hi!

Glad you like your Townsend. It was my first "expensive" pen when I started 2 years ago. =)

As a next pen, please try out the Pelikan M800. It has more girth for sure and for me makes it more comfy but the weight is comparable I think.

Try it with a broad or medium nib as well. I'm more into cursive italics and have a few for my M800's. The only non-italic M800 nib I use on the daily is a Broad and I feel it is one of the smoothest.

Other than the M800, the only other pen I would suggest is a Lamy 2000 but that is shorter than the Townsend and I'm not sure if you'll like that difference.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Franz

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pub

• Tancred

• RMN

• max dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having used a Townsend for about 5 weeks now, where do I go from here?

I find the size and weight pretty perfect and where some people say its a pen harder to use when posted does not affect me because I never post anyway.

So what's next? A Townsend in a different style? (mine is black with silver trim). I don't mind that but I thought that was for the future and wanted to go for something different as my next purchase.

Having little knowledge of sizes of other manufacturers pens what other pens would be a very similar size?

I know most if not the vast majority of people on here use pens other than Cross, so I thought I would ask your advice.

I'm almost asking you to say - "if you like a Townsend you will certainly like XXXXX".

Many thanks.

My suggestion would be a Waterman Exception. Good, solid, hefty pens, with a very smooth, high performing nib.

Edited by Tancred

I also started with a Townsend, mine is fairly old. I have another old Century on it's way to me, to try out a fine nib (vs. the medium i have). I am very interested in all of these suggestions, and would love to know what you end up with :)

• 4 weeks later...

Although not made any more the Cross Verve is a wonderfully smooth and responsive writer. If there is any Cross pen that can eclipse the Townsend for writing quality, it would be the Verve. That inlaid nib is quite something! There are a couple on ebay right now.

The nib is very good, of course, as it's made by Namiki! The pen itself is not so good - poor build quality and not very ergonomic.

If you really like the Cross Townsend enough to consider purchasing it again in a different finish, you might want to consider a different size nib as well for variety.

After trying lots of pens, i also decided that the weight, size, feel and solid construction of the metal bodied Townsend were my favorite. So, well the picture below shows what happened next (over years). Most of the ones out of the boxes were used in the business world.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u452/Raymond338/DSCN1705_zps71ebbe93.jpg

Having used a Townsend for about 5 weeks now, where do I go from here?

I find the size and weight pretty perfect and where some people say its a pen harder to use when posted does not affect me because I never post anyway.

So what's next? A Townsend in a different style? (mine is black with silver trim). I don't mind that but I thought that was for the future and wanted to go for something different as my next purchase.

Having little knowledge of sizes of other manufacturers pens what other pens would be a very similar size?

I know most if not the vast majority of people on here use pens other than Cross, so I thought I would ask your advice.

I'm almost asking you to say - "if you like a Townsend you will certainly like XXXXX".

Many thanks.

Where do you from here? You go to the Peerless 125: http://www.cross.com/peerless-125-23kt-heavy-gold-plate-fountain-pen.aspx

If you really like the Cross Townsend enough to consider purchasing it again in a different finish, you might want to consider a different size nib as well for variety.

I had a Cross Townsend BB nib but just got it reground to a Sailor Naginata-Togi medium nib by Mike Masuyama at the SF Pen Show last weekend. Now the nib is really a great one!

Mike also mentioned that the nib and feed on my Cross Townsend was probably made by Pilot.