Conway Stewart & Onoto?

Paul80

Hi all

Anyone know if this is true or not

Just read elsewhere that there has been some sort of connection between Conway Stewart or their owners and Onoto, anyone know if there is any truth to the story.

Don't know if its a Director or Shareholder of both situation though, the article was not that clear.

Thanks

Paul

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coffeetoofull

• david6

• RMN

• Guernseytim

Yep

Has been al over this subforum...

See the Churchill Colors topic.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Perhaps the actual situation is still unclear?

Edited by parilla

It makes sense for both brands to be owned by a single entity. What I wonder is what strategy will the new CEO have for the brands. Will he promote Onoto as the premium brand and CS as the mid range one?

It makes sense for both brands to be owned by a single entity. What I wonder is what strategy will the new CEO have for the brands. Will he promote Onoto as the premium brand and CS as the mid range one?

That is an interesting question.

Actually CS has much more experience in HQ silver and luxury metal pens (like the cooperation with RikWill)

I would find it rather strange to cut off all the HQ Silver pens from CS

CS was reborn around 1990, Onoto around 2008 or so. I remember visiting a shop in the UK (actually Alan Lloyd in Kendal) where I was shown the first new pen from the reborn Onoto. Alas I did not know much of what I know now, otherwise I would have bought it, along with an interesting Parker 50 set. I still :doh: for not buying that...

Onoto works with 3 production facilities, CS (AFAIK) with one. Logic would dictate they will perform services for one another...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I posted this in the CS Churchill colours code but am reporting it here, which makes more sense:

Only time will tell as to whether this is good or bad. I tend to think that it will be bad for those of us who are unwilling or unable to pay premium prices as I expect that the emphasis will be on marketing CS as a premium brand and the higher end of the market and profits. It is possible as some have suggested that they make CS a mid-market brand but I doubt this. If CS is to offer anything to the mid-market, it will be offering steel nibs as an option, just like Onoto. So expect to start paying the current prices for steel nibs in F, M, and B and fewer, blander colours like black, green and brown. Everything else will now be bespoke and more $$$/GBP - like gold nibs, italic nibs and some of CS exciting colours. If the new pistachio 100 has not sold out already, get one fast as that might be your last such purchase!

If there is good news, your current CS collection in the nicer colours with italic nibs just got more valuable!

If there is anything good to come of this, it might be that CS quality and service might improve. For example, if Mary has fewer responsibilities, she might be able to respond quicker, etc.

FWIW, that's just my lowly opinion.

Mike

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

Whatever the outcome, let's just hope that some of Onoto's impeccable customer service and quality control, rubs off onto CS.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I have a modest collection of vintage Onoto and vintage Conway Stewart pens and so, I am naturally interested in the history of both companies. For me, the news of the two companies potentially becoming one, is of considerable interest.

Will this development between the two companies mean, that this forum will become 'The Conway Stewart & Onoto Forum' or (more properly) ' The Onoto & Conway Stewart Forum'?

Pavoni. :)

Whatever the outcome, let's just hope that some of Onoto's impeccable customer service and quality control, rubs off onto CS.

I agree, Onoto customer support and quality control is of a very high standard. If they can bring that level of quality control and customer service to Conway Stewart then everyone will benefit.

I recently contacted Onoto, after being offered the new Mammoth fountain pen, about purchasing a new pen. The result of the correspondence, as I could best discern, was that Onoto will soon release a small version of the Excel with an 18k #3 nib - smaller than the Magna Classic. I am excited about this, because I have a man's medium size hand and am looking forward to purchasing my first English made pen. My other choice was a Conway Stewart 58 cartridge converter in black. However, I've noted throughout the FPN that CS is facing quality control issues. Furthermore, a retailer of CS states that they will no longer be offering EF or Bold nibs for their pens. Now that's a facer, when more manufacturers are offering a wider range of nibs, which meet even higher standards.

Another reason for not having committed to the purchase of an English made pen is that too many European pen manufacturers are ordering the same nibs, with their own embellishments and design, from the same nib manufacturer, and/also they are not up to the best standards. I believe that a nice pen for several hundred dollars should be inspected and tested for flaws before shipping. I'm tired of manufacturing mistakes and having to spend the time on returns. My time is more valuable, to me.

I would like to read the article about a possible merger of Onoto and Conway Stewart, which was mentioned by Paul. If the transition is not satisfactory or they have problems in restructuring (even if they continue as two separate entities under a new umbrella) I have concerns about their abilities to produce to high standards.

I may decide to purchase a pen from both manufacturers, but not if they are not unique to each company.

Edited by coffeetoofull

Another reason for not having committed to the purchase of an English made pen is that too many European pen manufacturers are ordering the same nibs, with their own embellishments and design, from the same nib manufacturer, and/also they are not up to the best standards. I believe that a nice pen for several hundred dollars should be inspected and tested for flaws before shipping. I'm tired of manufacturing mistakes and having to spend the time on returns. My time is more valuable, to me.

I've got a conway stewart 58 with 18k medium nib - it's a lovely nib.

I've only got antique and vintage ONOTO pens (so far) but hear really good things about their pens.

Furthermore, I believe you can buy from goulet and they do their own testing prior to dispatch?

Nibs.com offers the following link on Tipping Sizes. English pens probably are the size of the JOWO. I do not know who supplies the nibs for Conway Stewart or Onoto, but JOWO is one of the largest suppliers of nibs. It would be of interest to me if they manufactured their own nibs and set them in their pens. Many of the finest watch manufacturers are involved in manufacturing all the parts in their watches.

Goulet does not offer the Onoto or Conway Stewart.

Best Writings To You, coffeetoofull

Edited by coffeetoofull

Nibs.com offers the following link on Tipping Sizes

Goulet does not offer the Onoto or Conway Stewart.

Sorry, my mistake. I was looking at my inks when I typed that.

I meant to say Richard Binder sells ONOTO.

My other choice was a Conway Stewart 58 cartridge converter in black. However, I've noted throughout the FPN that CS is facing quality control issues. Furthermore, a retailer of CS states that they will no longer be offering EF or Bold nibs for their pens. .

Hello,

Just to let you know, the new MD/CEO of Conway Stewart decided to reduce the 18 ct nib range from eight grades to six: no longer offering EF or BB nibs. The Bold grade is still available. Conway Stewart nib grade options are now: Fine, Medium, Broad, Italic Fine, Italic Medium and Italic Broad.

Have you tried the Italic nibs? I consider the italic nibs to be 'writer friendly' because they are very smooth at the edges so they do not dig into the paper, and yet still help to give character to the writing style. I know many people who love writing with an Italic Fine and Italic Medium for notes, and Italic Broad for signatures. I personally love writing with the Italic Medium.

Kind regards,

Mary Burke

Hi: Thanks, Mary, for the update on nib sizes offered by CS. I look forward to sampling the CS nibs on various papers. After all, the purpose of pens, beyond their integrity, beauty, and style, is their practicality and reliability to function as an instrument for writing. I would probably estimate the function of the nib to me at approximately 80% of the reason for buying a pen. My experience with other italic and stub nibs has not been an overall success. My patience is tested while shaping the characters with anything but a rounded nib which is fast and efficient. I usually prefer the fountain pen to write for me at my speed with minimal effort for a person with 'light hands'. Occasionally, I attempt some line variation. I opened a new lined Letts Journal this week, and noticed that few of my European EF nibs would write within the line spacings. However, the Pilot EF nib performs within the lines without any trouble.

Hello,

Just to let you know, the new MD/CEO of Conway Stewart decided to reduce the 18 ct nib range from eight grades to six: no longer offering EF or BB nibs. The Bold grade is still available. Conway Stewart nib grade options are now: Fine, Medium, Broad, Italic Fine, Italic Medium and Italic Broad.

Have you tried the Italic nibs? I consider the italic nibs to be 'writer friendly' because they are very smooth at the edges so they do not dig into the paper, and yet still help to give character to the writing style. I know many people who love writing with an Italic Fine and Italic Medium for notes, and Italic Broad for signatures. I personally love writing with the Italic Medium.

Kind regards,

Mary Burke

So glad that the italics are still available...they're my favorites of the bunch.....as you say, really add character to one's writing, which for me is one of the main reasons I prefer using a fountain pen...

Viva la italics!

:)

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

I have IF and IM CS nibs. Wonderful nibs and wonderful pens.

I just hope that we do not see either of these excellent pen companies losing their identity or uniqueness of offering in the market. I like the modern Onoto's and CS's. I dont think I'd want a Onort or a Steto if you see what I mean.

Click here to view Japanese Pilot Nib Manufacturing (turn on cc - English captions). Fine watches, guns, jewelers, and other metal smiths are hard at work in England. They share a rich heritage in trade and profession. I don't know why English pen manufactures choose to 'farm out' the production of their nibs. It's rather like USA watch manufacturers who piece together Swiss watches.

"The relative time the video spends on the nib versus the body is indicative of the priorities of Japanese pen manufacturers - nib is more important than the body. This is very different than many European pen manufacturers."

Edited by coffeetoofull