Inky T O D - Visual Blights - Bleed Through, Show Through And Feathering

amberleadavis

So, let's talk about some of the less attractive things that FP inks do.....

Bleed Through .... Show Through and Feathering. I'll post up a few samples for you to see.

So, what can you the FP user who really wants to use this ink do? Tell us what papers (or types of papers) make it better or worse. Does diluting help? What about flow enhancers (Photo Flo for example) - does that make it worse?

Ask your questions and post your thoughts.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• yazeh

• Audrey T

• inkstainedruth

I've recently told my tale of woe with Organics studio HMS Beagle. Put in the preppy it bled through like crazy. I'm planning on putting it in my stingy Pilot Plumix.

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

I have mixed feelings about OS Charles Darwin.

I love how it is a vortex of light. It is so rich and dark and it goes on like paint.

Alas it will paint the next page on crummy paper.

Here is a sample of some bleed through and show through.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inklings/slides/2013-Ink_615b.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I was looking for a great example of feathering. Here is an example of how even a terrific ink on crummy paper can feather. See ow it looks pixelated or like the camera was shaking... it looks that way in real life.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inklings/slides/2013-Ink_780.jpg

IMHO I don't mind show through to much, but feathering I can't stand. It's disappointing to me to get a notebook or some stationery only to open it up and have what I write look shaggy. Yuck!

I've read hear that some folks don't like Tomoe River paper because of the show through, but for me its lack of any feathering regardless of the ink makes it my go to paper.

Thoughts?

KrisB

I agree with Kris in regards to some show through is not a deal breaker for me, but feather most certainly is! I don't like bleed through either, but it's not as bad as feathering IMHO. Feathering ruins what you've written, bleed through and show through ruin what you're about to write. Just don't use the next page or the back of the page and problem solved. Can't do that with feathering :(

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 5 years later...

Ghosting

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2018-Ink/UV/slides/2018-03-29-139.jpghttp://www.sheismylawyer.com/2018-Ink/UV/slides/2018-03-29-142.jpg

UV ghosting

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2018-Ink/UV/slides/2018-03-29-046.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2018-Ink/UV/slides/2018-03-29-044.jpghttp://www.sheismylawyer.com/2018-Ink/UV/slides/2018-03-29-045.jpg

@Amberlea: again, great examples.

at the office, my company hands out notepads of paper that provides a soft, cushioned writing feel. very comfortable.

as long as you use a ball pen.

put a fountain pen nib to its surface, and watch the ink spot growing. almost like blotting paper. of course, within seconds, the spot will appear on page 2, 3, and eventually on page 4 as well.

this paper is simply unuseable for fountain pen users, as comfortable it may be for ballpoint users.

fortunately, they (company) also provide notebooks made of clairefontaine 90 g/sqm. wirebound. how i love the slipping first page (not).

so, i bring my own notebooks ...

Not sure how I missed this thread before now.

Noticed that there was a shout out about one of the offenders -- OS Charles Darwin. The good news is that it's super fast drying, and is blackety black. The bad news? Even in a hooded pen with an Oriental fine nib, I had spread and bleedthrough issues with it....

Whenever I use my bottle of Noodler's Bay State Blue, I have to dilute the ink about 20% with distilled water to combat the HORRIBLE feathering (even on good paper). I now use a freebie Noodler's Charlie for BSB: not only do I not care if the barrel gets stained, but I can sort of eyeball how much distilled water to add to top off the fill.

I've had really bad bleed through issues with "drippy" inks -- you know, the ones where you watch a big blob of ink drip roll down the nib and onto the page. One of the worst offenders was my sample of original formula Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses, until the Noodler's Konrad (since lost) that it was tried in got used to actually having ink in the feed. But it bled through two PAGES of the Piccadilly sketchbook I use to try inks in. Iroshizuku Fuyu-Syogen was almost as bad (it only dripped through one page of the same sketchbook, although it did have some interesting looking pink chromatography under the grey).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My absolute worst for feathering was probably Noodler's Borealis Black, which I tried to use full strength on cheap copy paper in a Pelikan M200. Oh, but it was featherocious. Rather than knobby and blobby like Amber's sample up above, my lines looked like they were covered with cilia.

If I like an ink, I find a way to use it accordingly... And I forgive a lot of things... What I don't like are inks that refuse to dry, Black Swan Oz, Noodler's Red black, Noodler's Golden Brown.... Though if I really like them, I would use them on absorbent paper, or with a fine nib...though I'm not a fan of fine nibs ;)

I can live with ghosting and a certain amount of bleed through.....

I test the "offending" ink in most of my fountain pens and use different papers, nibs, until it can hopefully redeem itself...

I'm often surprised....

For example, Bluenose Bear feathered with a flexed Ahab on Rhodia dot pad, but not on Tomoe River. And the feathering was ugly....

I was sure it would feather with a fude nib (on a Jinhao 450) but it did not. Or if it did, it was actually beautiful....

And then the same feathering on Clairefontaine both with Ahab and Rhodia were quite delightful....

Go figure.... :)

• 1 year later...

In general, I have had bad luck with Private Reserve inks (only the newer: I never encountered the older ones). They spread & feather & just look amateurish. I also have not enjoyed my experiences with many of the Noodler's inks (albeit with some notable exceptions. Kiowa Pecan is great, along with Apache Sunset and Navajo Turquoise, plus a few other nice ones). In particular, Chekhov & Tolstoy were dull and matte, with a watered-down look, and they tended to spread. (I wonder whether all their inks named after historic figures are like that.)

• 1 month later...

@Audrey T who makes Chekhov & Tolstoy?

On 1/1/2022 at 9:09 PM, Audrey T said:

Noodler's inks (albeit with some notable exceptions. Kiowa Pecan is great, along with Apache Sunset and Navajo Turquoise, plus a few other nice ones). In particular, Chekhov & Tolstoy

Add lightness and simplicate.

Yes, @amberleadavis, as @Karmachanic pointed out, it's Noodler's that makes the Chekhov and Tolstoy inks I was complaining about. However, PenBBS also makes a Tolstoy ink. I haven't tried that, but I would guess that that one might be quite nice.

56 minutes ago, Audrey T said:

Yes, @amberleadavis, as @Karmachanic pointed out, it's Noodler's that makes the Chekhov and Tolstoy inks I was complaining about. However, PenBBS also makes a Tolstoy ink. I haven't tried that, but I would guess that that one might be quite nice.

Funny. IN my experience Chekov was one of the best performing inks. I didn't care much for Tolstoy, mostly because of the scent and also I don't care for the author much :D 

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Chekov was one of the best performing inks

Oh, that's interesting to hear. Well, it goes to show how different our experiences may be due to all kinds of factors (including, I suppose, humidity, altitude, and deservingness 😉).

3 hours ago, Audrey T said:

Oh, that's interesting to hear. Well, it goes to show how different our experiences may be due to all kinds of factors (including, I suppose, humidity, altitude, and deservingness 😉).

Montreal can be very humid... No altitude but lots of attitude about deserving ;)