Sheaffer Legacy Heritage Stub

LuisAAbrilRomero

I have inquired, but I will be surprised if the Washington is anything but a broad, since they have the same serial number. The seller has been prompt about returning my emails until this issue came up.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cellmatrix

• jmccarty3

• jar

• RMN

I still have had no reply from Tom at penboard.de, and the more I have read about the Sheaffer factory stub, the less willing I am to settle for anything other than what I ordered. I have written again to ask him to check the Washington twin of my pen to see if it has a stub that can be switched out, or if he has another stub nib and section to exchange for the broad. Otherwise, I plan to return the pen. This whole thing has been very disappointing, especially since I have read such good things about penboard.de, and I was so delighted thinking that I had found what I was looking for.

I just picked this off the eBay merry-go-round and believe it's a Legacy of some type. Looks like a stub and that's it's damaged. I expect to receive it early this week and send it out for repair. Any suggestions for inlay nib repair with fairly fast turn-around?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sheaffer-750-18k-Fountain-Pen-/261737346478?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=UnAb4nz%252BGnBLfCfXHb%252BJ1wzwwHE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Update on the Richmond: finally heard from the seller, who seemed to be unaware of the difference between B, BB, and stub. He is going to look for a stub nib/section to trade for the B that is on the pen now.

I also contacted Mauricio at VintagePens.net. He is going to look for a stub as well, and I'm going to buy a silver Legacy I with factory stub from him, in case I have to send the Richmond back.

Update on the Richmond: finally heard from the seller, who seemed to be unaware of the difference between B, BB, and stub. He is going to look for a stub nib/section to trade for the B that is on the pen now.

I also contacted Mauricio at VintagePens.net. He is going to look for a stub as well, and I'm going to buy a silver Legacy I with factory stub from him, in case I have to send the Richmond back.

Try that B nib. I have a bunch of Ft. Madison stubs and they are great but the Sheaffer B ain't anything to cry over. It is luscious and wet and smooth and starts writing six inches above the paper and you just watch the words fall into place and in summer they dry before hitting the page and sometimes bounce off and you need to get down on the floor and find them and put the back where they belong and sometimes even use rubber cement to make them stick and ...

a Richmond "B" nib

http://www.fototime.com/F6428E3C10E7989/large.jpg

Wow, if Jar is getting all poetic about that nib it must be something to behold (or better: hold)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

They really are that good. Both the stub and the B. I had to sell mine to buy a house, but nothing less would have induced me to pry them loose from my clutches, er, let them go

Wow, if Jar is getting all poetic about that nib it must be something to behold (or better: hold)

D.ick

As usual, he's right. See my post above, #13, for examples of Sheaffer stub cursive italic nibs on a Legacy, an Imperial and a Targa. They're all labeled stub but they're actually nice, fairly crisp, cursive italics with a lot of line variation. I love them and, since I'm not planning on buying another house, I don't think anything is going to pry those goodies out of my hands.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

I have one italic on a Targa myself, and I love it.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I liked them so much I went ahead and got a plain sterling silver one like Jar's. Its wonderful.

Edited by cellmatrix

I liked them so much I went ahead and got a plain sterling silver one like Jar's. Its wonderful.

Are you returning the Richmond?

The pseudo-touchdown filer of the sterling silver with stub I got from Mauricio didn't work. It was not sucking in ink. I removed the barrel and tested if it has air leakages by submerging the piston/tassie end into a glass of water--blew into the open end and there, lots of air bubbles. I resealed it with fish glue and it's now working. Problem solve.

http://www.sheaffertarga.com/Legacy/New%20Folder/filling.jpg

Looks like Fort Madison had the same problem and used what looks like bubble gum!

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

The pseudo-touchdown filer of the sterling silver with stub I got from Mauricio didn't work. It was not sucking in ink. I removed the barrel and tested if it has air leakages by submerging the piston/tassie end into a glass of water--blew into the open end and there, lots of air bubbles. I resealed it with fish glue and it's now working. Problem solve.

Looks like Fort Madison had the same problem and used what looks like bubble gum!

Great work - I'll look into this! Thanks for the tip!

OK, OK, guys, I've decided to keep both the Richmond B and the sterling stub. The sections should be interchangeable anyway. The rubber O-ring on the Richmond looks to be in great condition. This has turned out to be a lot more expensive proposition than I first intended, but I believe I'll have two great pens. Thanks for all the great pics.

I'll be calling on you guys for more specific instructions if either of the new pens has touchdown filling problems. Just out of curiosity, is Sheaffer still doing repair work in Madison?

Edited by jmccarty3

JMMcarty there is actually another option to consider.

There is still one person alive who actually ground the famed Ft. Madison stub.

And she just so happens to grind nibs for Pendemonium. She ground at the Sheaffer factory for around 40 years.

I suspect if you sent her a B or BB and said "replicate a Ft. Madison stub" she could do it.

She's done it a gazillion times for Sheaffer.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

OK, OK, guys, I've decided to keep both the Richmond B and the sterling stub. The sections should be interchangeable anyway. The rubber O-ring on the Richmond looks to be in great condition. This has turned out to be a lot more expensive proposition than I first intended, but I believe I'll have two great pens. Thanks for all the great pics.

In addition to the idea above, the sterling Sheaffer if it is one of the plain sterling GT models may have started life as a blank for the Richmond/Washington series. While the initial plan was for there to be 1865 of each Sheaffer got sold during the process and actually only 500 of each were made. There were still body stock blanks existing and it's possible they ended up as the plain Sterling GTs and maybe some others of the sterling Legacy family.

http://www.fototime.com/2B4F4393524FA7C/large.jpg