Is This The Most Vulgar Pen On The Planet?

Guernseytim

This one comes close to crossing the V - Zone.

I'm still not seeing Vulgar.

More Deep fat fried, unadulterated, Chocolate frosted, nuclear powered OOGLY.

I have seen a couple Kama Sutra pens that I'd say came Very Close to Vulgar if not jumping right into a vat of Vulgar and wallowing in it. I'm not going to Googly image it for here, seeing them once was enough.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scrawler

• Mickey

• inkstainedruth

• Guernseytim

This artifact has been wrongly identified as related to Budda. It is, of course, the Aztex God Quetzalcoatl, known to the Maya as Kukulcan for whom this ritual pen was devised to be a part of the human sacrifice rituals of both civilizations.

The actual act of killing the victim to be sacrificed was made easier by this instrument of death which featured a #6 nib in an EF for puncture and a surprisingly sophisticated heart-activated inking system that allowed for great amounts of blood to be withdrawn without any resulting 'nib creep'. An earlier variant used a cartridge and was abandoned because of lack of capacity and blood type.selection.

Other nibs were fashioned by followers of the god Tlalac (Maya Chac) who were known as the "masters of the pointy thing that is on the end of the ugly stick". Though not as efficient, some stubs and obliques were used.

I hope that this clears up this question.

:lticaptd:

As to the description of the pen in question, I think Bruce has hit the nail on the head: OOGLY (although I don't think it's quite overtaken the Chaos pen, it does come mighty close).

"Vulgar" in the traditional sense, maybe not; but in the sense of "tasteless", I would consider the 51 studded with diamonds I saw a photo of to fit the bill. :sick: I mean, really? *Really*? A classic, IMO, streamlined design -- the epitome of form following function -- gussied up marred by a vast quantity of faceted and highly polished bits of carbon, by someone who Just Could Not Leave Well Enough Alone....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: The completely un-ergonomic pen designed to look like London's Millennium tower is also fairly tasteless, but not sure I'd quite call that one "vulgar" either. Just a pen you couldn't pay me enough to own....

I keep thinking of this story I saw on TV a week or two back -- it was an interview with a woman whose father had won the lottery and had blown it all on tasteless tchotkes (not to mention his own Learjet) as well as some really poorly considered investments that went south. The daughter thought that he'd left her money in his will, but it turned out that had been squandered as well, and she has now lost the home she lived in before her father won all that loot. Pens like this make me think of that story (a cautionary tale if ever there was one...).

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

According to Merriam-Webster vulgar can be defined as "ostentatious or excessive in expenditure or display"

http://i.word.com/idictionary/vulgar

In that sense, I think the OP is completely correct to use the term vulgar.

Edit to add:

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't the style seem just a bit out of step with the philosophy of the person the pen is supposed to depict?

Edited by cellmatrix

The Buddhas are weird looking and do not have the Buddha's usual serenity. The close ups show a lot chisel marks around the Buddhas' nose, eyes, and mouth; the diamond, while large, is dim.

I'm still not seeing Vulgar.

More Deep fat fried, unadulterated, Chocolate frosted, nuclear powered OOGLY.

I have seen a couple Kama Sutra pens that I'd say came Very Close to Vulgar if not jumping right into a vat of Vulgar and wallowing in it. I'm not going to Googly image it for here, seeing them once was enough.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

There was also the Visconti Erotic Arts series.

When I read "vulgar" in the title, I expected the pen to be shaped like some anatomy.

Ostentatious, yes, ugly, yes. Vulgar, as in not my definition but rather "lacking taste," is a term I hesitate to use when something is not to my taste. Other people may not approve of my pens. Taste is subjective and personal.

I believe that it perfectly hits the taste of the target buyer located in East Asia. Maybe the adolescent offspring of the Samsung, Toyoda or Huawei family. Don't think the price will be an issue.

But on the other hand it looks a lot like the Motegrappa Chaos and that apparently even appeals to trendsetters like Sly Stallone...

Yep. Made by the Swiss to honor Buddha? They must be after the commercial version of nirvana. I'd melt it down and turn it into a Flavor Flav clock. More klassy.

Graham

According to Merriam-Webster vulgar can be defined as "ostentatious or excessive in expenditure or display"

And that usage is much more common in British English than American, which may be why that definition didn't come first to mind for everyone - even those who would describe the pen that way.

*shrugs* I see nothing wrong with it. My sensibilities are much more offended by austerity and minimalism with high price tags.

Support Live Comedy - Go To Your Local Comedy Club Today!

Three words come to mind, "Will it blend?"

Just poking some fun, not the way I feel about it.

My brother is a graphic designer, so I know he's always trying to please the customer. The designers of these pens must have customers in mind who will be thrilled with their work.

Edited by lisantica

~ Justifying pen purchases since 2013 ~

*shrugs* I see nothing wrong with it. My sensibilities are much more offended by austerity and minimalism with high price tags.

for 0.2% of the price of this gaudy pen, I'd be quite happy with a simple minimalistic looking parker 51

B)

Edited by cellmatrix

I quite like the Montgrappa too. If they would just move the decimal point across three spaces to the left I might even buy one.

I quite like the Montgrappa too. If they would just move the decimal point across three spaces to the left I might even buy one.

:lticaptd:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think its better looking than that hideous Monregrappa that has a ton of snakes over it, now that is one pen I definitely don't like.

The Montegrappa Chaos pen that so many people like to lambaste is a work of art that contains symbols representing Sylvester Stallone's working career as an actor. As I recognize each of the symbols on it, I appreciate it for what it is, which is an artistic expression. Sure it is expensive, far too expensive to be a working pen for most of us, but then so are the canvases of Dali and Mondrian too expensive for most of us to decorate our offices with. Works of craftsmanship and art do not appeal to all people, nor do they have to. Many makers make art in the form of pens. Some, like the products of the Krone company are even more excessive than either the "Buddha" pen, or the Chaos pen. I understand where most of you are coming from. You like pens because they feel good in the hand, while used to correspond and they promote better handwriting. Indeed, from that point of view my best pen is a plain black, unadorned item. If the iconography on Stallone's pen were less martial and aggressive, less associated with horror and violence, I suspect that it would not attract the opprobrium it does. However, if that were so, then it would miss the mark of the point it makes.