Nib Selection For Visconti Homo Sapien

edwiny

I need input on deciding between Fine vs. Extra Fine Nib for a Visconti Homo Sapien Silver

I am new to FPN and relatively new to the world of fountain pens, but after exploring the various posts and various Online stores, have taken the plunge to get a Visconti HS. I had originally ordered a Visconti HS Silver MIDI online. After holding the pen for the first time on arrival, decided I would likely use the pen unposted as the cap is quite heavy and doesn't quite feel right posted to me. Unposted, however, the MIDI feel slightly small to me. Luckily the vendor was happy to offer an upgrade to the Visconti HS Silver (full size). The MIDI is en route to the vendor for upgrade exchange, but i am having doubts about my nib selection. I've read reviews on how the HS nips compare relative to Pelikan nibs, but I don't own a Pelikan (yet). My frame of reference for nib size are the pens I am currently using

• Pilot Namiki Metropolitan Medium Nib--Ideal size for me
  • Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point Fine Nib--slightly too fine (but has it's advantages for taking fine notes in a wallet sized notebook)
  • Lamy Al-Star Fine Nib--slightly too "inky"--broader than the Namiki Metropolitan Medium--would prefer slightly finer and think the Lamy Extra Fine would have worked better for me

Based on the above, Which Homo Sapien nib comes closest to a Namiki Medium Nib or Lamy Extra Fine Nib?

Can't wait to hear input from this board.

Much thanks in advance.

Edwin

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sarahfar

• edwiny

• Aurko

• Silvire

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a heads up... Pilot Metropolitan. Namiki is the sub-brand of Pilot.

So you have the Namiki Falcon, or the Pilot Metropolitan...

That would be like me saying Toyota Lexus IS3000, a little incongruous.

On topic, I find Pelikan nibs to be rather broader than Lamy nibs.

For example, my Pelikan M600 Fine nib writes thicker than my Lamy Vista Fine nib.

However,that could also be because the Pelikan M600 is known to have a wetter-than-normal flow.

The Visconti nibs that I've played with are mostly pretty wide for the size, and I think comparable to Lamy sizes, since the nibs are very wet. However, I've only used a Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze medium that wrote like a broad (and another stub, but that is irrelevant here), and a Visconti Rembrandt fine that wrote more like a "standard" medium (modern Parker, Sheaffer, Waterman etc.). Pilot nibs tend to run a tad finer and thus the medium is closer to a "standard" medium-fine if not a fine. I would recommend the Extra fine.

Edited by Aurko

I currently have only 18 K gold Visconti fine nib (in Homo Sapiens Bronze) and, as the scan shows, the width is close to Pilot's medium in Metropolitan

fpn_1400489537__vhs_vs_metropolitan.jpg

Ink: Noodler's Ottoman Azure; Paper: Rhodia.

Visconti's 23 K Palladium fine is about the same.

It should be taken into consideration, however, that Visconti's nibs are quite juicy (which I happen to like). Depending on what paper you're planning to make your most writing, this might be a concern.

As I understand the Visconti HS you ordered will have a dreamtouch nib... If so I would go with the extra fine. In addition to being very wet, those dreamtouch nibs are very flexibile under even light pressure. I have a bronze HS, and writing with the one you ordered in stores I haven't noticed that the silver HS is any less flexibile or gushy.

thank you so much to all for your input. Very helpful indeed!

Recluse, thank you so much for the writing sample of the HS Fine vs the Pilot Metropolitan medium!!!!. I definitely feel more at ease with staying with the Fine Nib.

I am eagerly awaiting my exchange from Midi to Maxi VHS. I recently discovered Bryant's website which everyone raves about and just realized I could have had the Visconti HS at a big savings had I ordered it from him :( Would have had enough savings to get another Pilot Vanishing Point. The online vendor from who I purchased has been so kind and generous with advice that I hesitate to cancel my order to order from Bryant. What to do.

...have taken the plunge to get a Visconti HS.

First a (not) good pun: Take the plunge... It has a plunger with the power filler. :lticaptd: (Sorry, I know I shouldn't do fountain pen jokes)

Edit: Upon second read, I realize you got the Silver version... :( pun no longer applies...

Second, the actual topic: I find the Fine on my Visconti HS to be significantly finer than that on the Pelikan m800 and the Lamy Fine. It is however a little wider than the Namiki Fine I own. So I think it falls right in that boundary you mention in the post.

good luck,

Nick

Edited by Nick13

"It is much more interesting to live life not knowing, than having answers which might be wrong."

"Courage is grace under pressure" ~ Ernest Hemingway

I have an ExtraFine Dreamtouch nib on mine, and I would say it writes between a fine and a medium, I use very little pressure when writing. It does write like a dream, however.

• 10 months later...

HI all,

I thought I would hijack this old thread to better consolidate questions about HS nib sizes :)

A couple months ago I got my first Visconti, the HS Steel Age in the Midi size, and I have not used the pen much because the nib hasn’t been the right match for me. I got a fine and it’s a little dry and too thin compared to what I was hoping for. I’m about to send it in to have the nib changed and rather than go for a Medium, I’m debating trying a Broad (since this will not be a daily writer for me and I still do not have a modern B nib in my lineup). But before I make the change I wanted to see if anyone could share writing samples of their M and B nibs to see what kind of lines they tend to produce. Thank you for your help!

I just got the HS Silver trim. It is a power filler not a piston like the steel. I would say the fine which I have is slightly wider and wetter than a Nakaya or a Sailor M. I have had an still have plenty of Visconti. i like fines, but from what you describe you may want an EF. EF for me tend to be a little to fine if the nib has any stiffness at all to it.

Let me take it a step further, The HS Silver Maxi is a beautiful pen. The lava is a soft peached or nubuck finish and gives a very warp finish. I love the Silver trim, fit and finish. And it writes very well. Add in a power filler and you have winner. I have 3 of their more expensive LE's and while it may not be a 3000 pen, I love it, If Bryant does it, it is always incredible. No one anywhere has his taste..... HS Silver with the power filler and silver trim is off the charts....