#61 penmanila

penmanila

Vacumaniac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:39

thank you, parnesh ;) here's that pen again with yet another warhorse of mine....

8566928733_a9625c956c_c.jpg

:notworthy1:  You sir, win the style stakes...

Check out my blog and my pens

#62 Ecriveur

Ecriveur

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:40

Right at the moment I'd say it's my Visconti Michaelangelo if the paper quality is good, otherwise my TWSBI 580.

#63 Keyless Works

Keyless Works

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:54

Aurora Optima is probably my real war horse but I have been using my Pilot Custom 845 a lot.

#64 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:24

I rotate the pens of my collection.  Every couple of weeks, there is a different fountain pen in my pocket.  Whichever pen is currently 

in rotation, however, the second pen is always one of several Parker 45 fountain pens.  

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#65 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,821 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 14:35

Whichever pen is currently in rotation, however, the second pen is always one of several Parker 45 fountain pens.  

Amen!

I have quite a few much "nicer" pens, but, more often than not, if I'm in a hurry and grab just one pen to clip to a collar or shirt pocket, it's this one.

2012-04-23_16-26-10_516.jpg

For a couple years now, it's always been loaded with Levenger's True Teal. Just a week or so ago on the recommendations from Inky Thoughts,

I switched it over to Asa Blue and fell  :wub:  all over again with the pen.  Even the slight section dimples are just "beauty marks" to me. No biggie, they have no effect on the use of the pen.  

Even with the MM CI in it, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it got lost out playing somewhere, I have 3 other MM CI P-45 gold nibs that would quickly go into one of my Several other 45's to replace it with.

(In fact, I think I have another Midnight Blue parts pen 45, I'd just make another one just like it.)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#66 Hardcase

Hardcase

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 15:10

For a while it's been an Esterbrook LJ, but lately I've been using a cheap Serwex 362 (after spending some time working on the nib).  I have to say that out of the box, the 362 was everything that you'd expect from a $9.00 fountain pen, but with an hour or so worth of work, it writes very nicely.

Clan-MacNeil-Buaidh-No-Bas-Victory-or-De

#67 The Blue Knight

The Blue Knight

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 16:04

My work horse is my trusty Parker Frontier Flighter, cheap enough if I lost it it wouldn't cause too much heart ache however isn't something which is dread full to use. 

#68 Newjelan

Newjelan

Collectors Item

• 1,286 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:21

Pilot Custom Heritage 92 (Clear Demo) with a Medium nib. That's why I've bought the other 3 colours.

#69 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

Crusty Old Newbie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:03

Amen!

I have quite a few much "nicer" pens, but, more often than not, if I'm in a hurry and grab just one pen to clip to a collar or shirt pocket, it's this one.

[picture of a beautiful 45]

For a couple years now, it's always been loaded with Levenger's True Teal. Just a week or so ago on the recommendations from Inky Thoughts,

I switched it over to Asa Blue and fell  :wub:  all over again with the pen.  Even the slight section dimples are just "beauty marks" to me. No biggie, they have no effect on the use of the pen.  

Even with the MM CI in it, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it got lost out playing somewhere, I have 3 other MM CI P-45 gold nibs that would quickly go into one of my Several other 45's to replace it with.

(In fact, I think I have another Midnight Blue parts pen 45, I'd just make another one just like it.)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I have a pen just like it, Bruce, and love it as well. Right now the only 14K nib I have is an XF so I don't use it as much, but I keep coming back to this pen when I need dependability. Like today, I have a very important job interview. This is going to be my main pen. The 45's are built like tanks, look nice and classy, and can be utterly relied upon. 

Come to think of it, just like me! :)

Edited by AAAndrew, 04 June 2014 - 11:06.

My other hobby requires a camera

#70 aalmcc4

aalmcc4

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2014 - 22:41

90% of the time I grab my Lamy 2000 with a "fine" nib, or one of my Parker 51s.  Both stoked with Waterman's blue-black (mysterious blue).    

#71 Bigeddie

Bigeddie

Must not purchase more ink.

• 1,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:19

This is a hard one, I (like many of you) have a lot of nice pens I use regularly. 

The one that has had the most use over the last 3 years or so has been a Pilot Custom 823 (m) in tobacco, never fails to start, holds a lot of ink and is surprisingly rugged. 

My most used recently a Sheaffer Imperial Touchdown (f) in sterling silver that has been inked exclusively with Iroshizuku Asa-gao. 

Current most used pen: whichever is newest in the collection! 

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

#72 scratchofapen

scratchofapen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 16:25

Well, to day i change pens quite often, but if i have a warhorse it clearly is a Lamy Safary that got with me throuh school, highshool, learning a handcraft, and university. Bright red with black nib and black clip. Does not see much action nowadays, but has a special place in my heart.
Can tell for sure that is a pen i will never part with.

Edited by scratchofapen, 09 June 2014 - 16:27.

#73 Beckwith

Beckwith

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 17:27

Easily my formerly NOS Sheaffer Targa 1003 from the 80's. For the year and a half that I've had it, it's always been reliable and never failed to start up and write, even after countless drops, tosses into pockets, and endless abuse.

Kind of an old photo of the pen, but...

Without doubt Sheaffer Targa from the older lot and Pilot VP from the new

pbhat

My Targa 1007 is almost always inked.

I just received a Targa from my father which he acquired back in the 80s. I've had it for about a month and it's my current warhorse too

#74 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 18:14

Parker 51 and the most recently acquired pen, currently Waterman Lara Croft Tomb Raider Kultur, yellow color.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

#75 The Journeyman

The Journeyman

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:51

A Laban Mento tortoise-shell with cursive italic nib, ground by Greg Minuskin! A superb stunner of a pen to look at and an absolute delight to use! It's my go-to pen of choice for most purposes.  :lticaptd:

#76 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

Crusty Old Newbie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:15

My burgundy Snorkel stub Valiant with old Sheaffer Burgundy ink. 

My other hobby requires a camera

#77 loudkenny

loudkenny

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:42

My warhorse is a Cedar Blue 51 Vac... no matter what I do while carrying it or what it writes on, it refuses to die.

ken

#78 loudkenny

loudkenny

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:43

My warhorse is a Cedar Blue 51 Vac... no matter what I do while carrying it or what it writes on, it refuses to die.

ken

#79 HalloweenHJB

HalloweenHJB

Loves Vintage Watermans

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2014 - 14:34

I just received a Targa from my father which he acquired back in the 80s. I've had it for about a month and it's my current warhorse too

I have a Targa 1005 that I inherited from my father.  It's a great pen and feels so nice on the paper!

#80 Clancy

Clancy

- Toasted Head -

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 14:55

I guess I'd have to choose my Pelikan M405, which has a custom ground italic stub nib by the venerable Pendelton Brown.

But there's also something to be said for the inexpensive, Pilot 78G that is always inked and at the ready. These little gems never

cease to amaze me; they're durable, dependable and their price makes them arguably one to the best values in a fountain pen.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

postcardde9.png

#81 VivienR

VivienR

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2014 - 15:18

Parker Sonnet Matte Black GT with fine nib, inks are in rotation... but most of the time use colors in the pink - purple category.

#82 Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon

Pen Quest

• Member - Gold

• 883 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2014 - 15:26

My Pilot VP is always inked.  I don't rotate it.  Another, that is a potential warhorse is my TWSBI Micarta V2.  I really liked this pen, and it arrived yesterday.  Haven't even inked it yet, but I was looking for a pen that I could switch out Goulet nibs on, and this seems to be the perfect one.  I got a broad nib with the Micarta, and plan to have it ground to a CI, by a nibmeister, possibly Pendleton Brown.  We'll see if it fulfills my plans for it.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!