Market For User Grade Parker 51S?

CraigR

Finally getting around to rediscovering several handfuls of user grade Parker 51s. Some aeros, vacs and a few specials. 1940s and up. I have had them stored for a few years and now have time and energy to work with them. Is there much of a market for selling these on line? For the most part, they are fully functional - just needing some cleaning and restoring to good condition. Nicks and scratches yes, but good writers if I recall correctly. Just wondering if it is worthwhile to get them ready to sell. Any input will be appreciated. /Craig

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CraigR

• OcalaFlGuy

• FarmBoy

• rochester21

Top Posters In This Topic

I`ve noticed they sell pretty quickly at around 65-85 dollars, but that`s just my impression.

Edited by rochester21

I like to buy piles of unrestored 51s both on-line and in person.

I would think there be a market for them.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

There's definitely a market, that's exactly what I was looking for before I got mine, and it took some dedicated Ebay work to get one for below $60!

Here at Ground Zero for Parkers in Janesville WI I look for any P51 or Vac for under $50 unrestored at auctions, flea markets & antique/resale shops. Anything Parker in a 50-70 mile radius. Today I picked up in a local shop a 15-16oz. bottle of Parker Quink.

There is always a marker for pens that is what I am finding out. Always learning.

IMO, even with user grade 51s, a clean unblemished cap (replacement caps are getting harder to find in Nice shape), a nice polish job and a handwriting sample showing proper flow in clear sales listing pics with other clear pics is going to garner top dollar. The time spent on the sales listing is almost as important as that spent working on the pen. A GREAT listing won't bring diamond money from a junker but a poorly done listing can Severely Hit the money on a nice pen.

The less clear and nice the sales listing, the less nice the restore job and the closer the price matches the Fleabay found in the wild unrestored user grade prices.

[EDIT] If you want back up for that, go to the classifieds here and look at Farmersmums and Penfisher's listings. Them send them a PM and ask how long their "average" pen Doesn't Stay Unsold when they put it up here...

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Bruce makes a point that, until I just read this has pretty much gone over my head. I ALWAYS check out sales by the two sellers he listed, even if I am not specifically looking for a pen which they may be advertising .... because they do a great job of showing the pen off to it's best advantage.

I assume the pens they offer are as good as any others, but great pics with well organized advertising makes me WANT to check their offerings. The combination of these elements gives them a leg up with me. What I am not doing a very good job of saying is that time and effort spent placing a good add probably has as much effect on a sale as the actual prep work done on the pen. No amount of apologizing for bad pics will earn the return that good pics will. May not be true for everyone, but I can certainly say presentation sways me as a buyer.

Thanks for the great and timely heads up on advertising that works. I did check out the sites mentioned and now need to get to the task of photoing and describing some pens I would like to sell. The work of cleaning and tuning the pens up is more fun than making the ads, but the point is well taken that proper focus needs to be on the ads. Great advice folks. /Craig

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

I will readily admit to hating making a pen sales listing. I will often "dangle the worm" out here somewhere on FPN and hope someone wants it first.

Yes it's a PIA but it's an Important PIA.

(Fleabay is the WORST. All I can think about when doing a Fleabay listing is how much Ebay and PP are going to hit me for. :( (Grrrr.)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Check out the listings for TBickiii and Ros7261 on Fleabay. More very well done listings. And, their close prices reflect that. And, that's on Fleabay, not even here on FPN though they are both members here.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

If you're going to resort to eBay, I'd highly, highly recommend using some kind of listing program - GarageSale and iSale are great, but I'm sure there are Windows alternatives if you have a PC.

They've helped me sell computers, pens, suitcases, radios, you name it. I just find it incredibly easy to drag and drop the photos and it creates this stunning looking advert - as Bruce says, the time spent on the listing is almost as important as the pen; though I've found these programs make that time quite short!

Just a suggestion, though I'm sure you could create a top notch ad without any aid of an application, it does make it that bit easier.

Good luck with your restoration and sales!

Parker 75, Ingenuity, Premier, Sonnet, Urban | Pelikan M400 | TWSBI Diamond 580 | Visconti Rembrandt

Currently inked: Diamine Apple Glory (Rembrandt), Pelikan 4001 Turquoise (M400), Lamy Black (Diamond 580)