Pilot Nibs :(

jdwhitak

In the past two month I've purchased both a Custom 74 and the Custom Heritage 92. I've since decided that I don't like Pilot nibs, but I really can't say why. It's really hard for me to put my finger on it. They weren't scratchy, but it felt like they just dragged on the paper with a heavier feeling. I also had skipping problems with the Custom Heritage 92.

Does anyone else feel this way about Pilot or any other maker for that matter? You just know you don't like something, but it's hard to say why.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• notimetoulouse

• troglokev

• Betweenthelines

First of all, what nib sizes did you order? Also, skipping on the Heritage 92 is not normal.

you might want to have them check their tuning I have with me is a Custom Heritage 91 from Ito-ya with a soft-medium nib and it writes like a champ, I also tried an F nib which writes (but writes smoothly and doesnt skip) like a nail for a 14K gold nib how I got to try both nibs was long story. and normally I don't want my nibs to be tuned out of the box (and not personally tested and held) since its still on it's first impression if it writes well then that's good enough for me but if it write dry and probably has some problems that's when I would like the nibs to be tuned which I did on my Lamy 2000 because it was skipping STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX and the shop does does not have the capacity to replace the pen at that moment which also sucks because my country does not really have an open market for fountain pens. :<

Edited by Algester

In the past two month I've purchased both a Custom 74 and the Custom Heritage 92. I've since decided that I don't like Pilot nibs, but I really can't say why. It's really hard for me to put my finger on it. They weren't scratchy, but it felt like they just dragged on the paper with a heavier feeling. I also had skipping problems with the Custom Heritage 92.

Does anyone else feel this way about Pilot or any other maker for that matter? You just know you don't like something, but it's hard to say why.

What ink did you use?

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

&nbsp;

Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi

have them re-tune the nib and make sure you are present the entire process they might have tuned the nib that is not meant for your writing method or style or what you call how you hold your pen/grip

http://i.imgur.com/XfKUGD7l.jpg

this pen has been with me for about 2 months now liking it it does look like a sailor sapporo...

Edited by Algester

You may want to give your pen a soapy flush to see if it helps with the skipping.

As for the drag you're experience, Pilot nibs are generally quite smooth, but as with any brand, can sometimes benefit from additional smoothing--something you could try yourself if you're brave enough. What other pens are you comparing it to? Are their nibs of comparable fineness and wetness?

I bought the pens online and I'm not able to be present for a tuning. Just to be clear I only had skipping problems with the Custom 92. The Custom 74 wrote just fine. Both pens had this odd feel though that I just can't describe. The thought did cross my mind about flushing it, but I've already dropped it in the mail to send it back. I'll be exchanging it for another Sailor. As far as I'm concerned the Sailor pens are the bee's knees.

I bought the pens online and I'm not able to be present for a tuning. Just to be clear I only had skipping problems with the Custom 92. The Custom 74 wrote just fine. Both pens had this odd feel though that I just can't describe. The thought did cross my mind about flushing it, but I've already dropped it in the mail to send it back. I'll be exchanging it for another Sailor. As far as I'm concerned the Sailor pens are the bee's knees.

That settles it then.

I usually like to know the exact reason why something's not performing well before returning it, but that's just me. Some issues are not brand specific.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

You may want to give your pen a soapy flush to see if it helps with the skipping.

As for the drag you're experience, Pilot nibs are generally quite smooth, but as with any brand, can sometimes benefit from additional smoothing--something you could try yourself if you're brave enough. What other pens are you comparing it to? Are their nibs of comparable fineness and wetness?

My custom 92 (SM) skipped as well when I got it. Was using kiri-same. However this is quite common with many pens, especially those with pistons as the lubricant can be drawn into the feed while testing/handling the nib. A flush with warm soapy water and it writes like a champ. One of my best nibs. Just need to tune the flow down a little.

The 92 was my fifth Pilot pen. I have a MR(M), a prera (F), a 823(M), a matte black VP(M) and faceted VP (M). The only other problem I had was with the faceted VP but that was bought as a NOS/mint pen and probably sitting in a shelf somewhere for 20 years.

The type of paper you use can make a big difference, especially with the finer nibs.

Try the pen with different types of paper.

The cheaper papers tend to be more fiberous and chopped up hence the nib catches on the fibres or can "cut" the fibres.

I find that i cannot use some pens with some papers as the paper will not take the ink properly, some times spidering out.

Experiment and see what works for you.

Good luck, let us know what happens

Both were fine nibs and both were tuned by shop I purchased them from.

"Tuned up" ? What for? They may have been messed up, rather than tuned up. I also found that my fine Custom 74 could use just a bit of tweaking, but i`m a perfectionist :D

When it comes to nib tunning, i only trust myself or the best nibmeisters. Myself, because if i screw up the nib at least i know it was me who did it, and the best because....well, they are best.

"Tuned up" ? What for? They may have been messed up, rather than tuned up. I also found that my fine Custom 74 could use just a bit of tweaking, but i`m a perfectionist :D

When it comes to nib tunning, i only trust myself or the best nibmeisters. Myself, because if i screw up the nib at least i know it was me who did it, and the best because....well, they are best.

and there are reasons why I personally buy the pens that I personally tried LOL as much as possible I want to try the pens first before I buy them which maybe the logical reason I won't find myself owning MBs not unless they are tinkering pens

Little signs from the universe like yours keep pointing me in the direction of buying a Sailor.

Little signs from the universe like yours keep pointing me in the direction of buying a Sailor.

well its now totally on preference Sailor has some good nibs but they dont come cheap... the Eagles the Naginatas the emperors.... but for basic stuff I would suggest try the pens first then make a conclusion not unless your going to give that pen away

I know the drag feeling you are talking about. It's not a skipping issue or even a smoothness issue. The nib just feels heavy for lack of better word. That's how Pilot nibs feel to me. It's not necessarily bad, unless you don't like it. I don't mind it, I mind how dry the nibs usually come.

• 6 months later...

I just want to bump this old thread, because it's a relief to find out I'm not crazy. While I have adored my buttery smooth Pilot Metro & VP nibs, and the smooth-but-with-pleasant-feedback feeling of my Pilot Falcon, for reason the Custom 74 and Custom 92 hard nibs have this ridiculous amount of feedback that makes the nib feel like it's heavy and "dragging" on the paper.

I can't believe more people aren't unhappy with the feeling of these nibs. When you compare the Custom 74/92 hard fine to a Sailor hard fine, or a Metropolitan fine, it's night and day.

I love my 92 but think I need to send it off to get smoothed by a 'meister.

I haven't tried a Heritage 92, but I have a Heritage 91 (SFM) and a Custom 74 (SF) and they both are ridiculously smooth. When I finished the Pilot Black cartridge on the 91, I filled it with Noodlers Navy, it was a totally different writing experience (should've known better...but I thought I'd give the brand another chance). Dumped that ink, filled it with some vintage Sheaffer Blue-Black, and it was back to buttery smoothness.

The Custom 74 is always filled with either Pilot Blue or Iro Kon Peki, so it's always top shape.

I also have an Elite 95S in Fine, which is a hard/rigid nib, and even that is smooth. Not as smooth as the others, but by no means scratchy. I've had nothing but great experiences with Pilot nibs, honestly. Even down to the 78G and the Knight.

My Lamy 2000 on the other hand is also a Fine nib, and is very picky about which inks it likes and which papers it likes. So a lot of variables are at play when you evaluate a pen's performance.