Buying An S.t. Dupont Online, Fakes And Other Challenges

just Andrew

gerigo, does your Defi make a slight rattling sound if you gently shake it from side to side? It doesn't seem to affect the functionality of the pen but is slightly disconcerting.

No mine does not. It's rock solid. Is it the converter rattling on the inside?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• just Andrew

• EclecticCollector

• jar

• gerigo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats on your first purchase of the STDupont. It's a great pen company that should get more attention from FP lovers.

I know this is a bit off point, but I got into the world of Duponts recently because one of the guys at Fook Hing showed me a Defi. I had to get it because it had all the qualities I look for in a fountain pen.

One of the things I really like about the pen is the nib.

Although not specifically stated in their marketing material, I feel it's designed specifically for people who are new to fountain pens. It's super smooth, very easy to write with, and very easy to maintain with the cartridge converter system. It really reminds me of writing with one of those roller ball liquid ink pens, because of the tubular stainless steel nib. You might want to consider it for your entry into the fountain pen world.

Don't be put off by the price or the fact you're "only" getting a stainless steel nib. It's superbly put together, like all STDuponts. A class above all pens.

Thanks for the recommendation. In the last day I've started to keep an open eye for the purchase of a fountain pen, and I'm actually considering an older second-hand model from the Classique range. Judging by the prices they typically go for, they are actually very good value for money, unless there is a genuine reason to avoid buying them. The nice part is that they also feature Chinese lacquer exteriors, which I have become rather enamoured with. I do have a soft spot for older things as well. With some things, they just don't make them like they used to anymore.

Thanks for the recommendation. In the last day I've started to keep an open eye for the purchase of a fountain pen, and I'm actually considering an older second-hand model from the Classique range. Judging by the prices they typically go for, they are actually very good value for money, unless there is a genuine reason to avoid buying them. The nice part is that they also feature Chinese lacquer exteriors, which I have become rather enamoured with. I do have a soft spot for older things as well. With some things, they just don't make them like they used to anymore.

The Classique is also the model most often faked so be careful. Also hold and try them before buying since in many cases the cap ridge when posted hits right at the webbing of your hand.

My Website

No mine does not. It's rock solid. Is it the converter rattling on the inside?

Mine didn't come with a converter, so I'm using a Dupont cartridge at the moment. I discovered that if I press down on the cartridge it does not make the sound. So you are saying that yours does not make any noise at all?

The Classique is also the model most often faked so be careful. Also hold and try them before buying since in many cases the cap ridge when posted hits right at the webbing of your hand.

Thanks, good advise and fair warning. I'll have to do my homework before buying. The issue you mentioned about the cap ridge coming into contact with the hand when writing is something that I've read about, as well as the small diameter of the pen leading to a possibility of fatigue during long writing sessions. Writing fatigue is something I experienced often during university days when answering essay-length questions during exams, so I almost would need a thicker pen for comfort. Perhaps it will be a case of skipping the Classique and going for the Olympio/ Orpheo range again when buying a fountain pen.

I did like the initial idea of posting the cap when writing as well but found out the hard way that this actually scratches the lacquer on the barrel, so I'd avoid posting in the future. Also I am looking for advise on refills. When looking for a replacement rollerball refill for my current pen, is there a specific model number that I should quote when buying? Would any S.T. Dupont rollerball refill fit into a mid-sized/ large Olympio?

I have been reading FPN for a little less than ten years, I would estimate. In that time I have seen no lack of mentions of S. T. Dupont pens. Nor any lack of offers to sell them on FPN. Although jar is the greatest single appreciator of Dupont pens we have, I don't see signs of general neglect at FPN. He is indefatigable in posting information about them (which I value) and his high opinion of them (which I also value). Others chime in. Sellers offer to sell. Since I have thought of buying, I've perhaps been noticing sales offers more than some other people have.

It would seem to me, from a distance, that Dupont is selling broadly as many pens as it proposes to sell. We don't hear that they're getting out of pens because they can't make a go of pens. On the contrary, since introducing the Classique ballpoint in the early 1970s they have enormously increased the number of models and the level of production. Buying a pen is an act of appreciation. It is more important how much money is coming in than how many mentions a day the pen receives on FPN. We do hear lots about Franklin-Christoph and Edison pens around here, but I am inclined to suspect that in terms of sales volume Dupont is actually more appreciated than those brands. We might add in TWSBI as a brand that is much mentioned here and prospering but is playing in a relatively small sandbox.

Anyway, Iguana Sell is (and it's far from the first time) offering Dupont pens for sale right now in the Classifieds. And will be offering more in the future. And will sell them.

Thanks, good advise and fair warning. I'll have to do my homework before buying. The issue you mentioned about the cap ridge coming into contact with the hand when writing is something that I've read about, as well as the small diameter of the pen leading to a possibility of fatigue during long writing sessions. Writing fatigue is something I experienced often during university days when answering essay-length questions during exams, so I almost would need a thicker pen for comfort. Perhaps it will be a case of skipping the Classique and going for the Olympio/ Orpheo range again when buying a fountain pen.

May I suggest the Gatsby line as something to consider. They come in two sizes, a slim version and a larger fatter version.

My Website

May I suggest the Gatsby line as something to consider. They come in two sizes, a slim version and a larger fatter version.

Thanks, and great article! I shall keep my eyes open for one of these. At the moment I'm enjoying the use of this rollerball/ballpoint. Perhaps I ought to be content with what I have unless something really nice surfaces.

Perhaps I ought to be content with what I have unless something really nice surfaces.

That's my motto, but I seem to have a hard time following it. :P

That's my motto, but I seem to have a hard time following it. :P

Perhaps in this case, the motto is more like a set of famous last words. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Apart from the risk of buying fakes (which cannot be held against S.T. Dupont and is a common risk to many luxury brands) be warned against buying a Limited Edition S.T. Dupont. because the company itself doesn't limit the production after they've sold the first batch of a succesful LE pen. They happily extend the so called limited edition into limitless numbers and never respond to questions about this deception. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/211782-brands-you-will-never-buy-from/?p=2311048

And if my ways are not as theirs- Let them mind their own affairs. A.E. Housman

Apart from the risk of buying fakes (which cannot be held against S.T. Dupont and is a common risk to many luxury brands) be warned against buying a Limited Edition S.T. Dupont. because the company itself doesn't limit the production after they've sold the first batch of a succesful LE pen. They happily extend the so called limited edition into limitless numbers and never respond to questions about this deception. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/211782-brands-you-will-never-buy-from/?p=2311048

That doesn't seem like a problem as long as it is noted that it is a second edition. Where is the deception?

My Website

That doesn't seem like a problem as long as it is noted that it is a second edition. Where is the deception?

Well, now you have me confused. Is n't the whole purpose of a limited edition that it is just that? Limited? S.T. Dupont first offered a LE of 15. When they sold out, they continued with 16/30. What will stop them continuing with 31/100? Where is the limit in this?

I don't object to second editions in general. For instance Delta offered a second edition of the Pompeï, nice pen. They advertised and offered them as a second edition, I bought one, knowing it to be a second edition, so I could write with that pen and keep my first edition pen in better condition. Indeed, nothing wrong there. Equally I do not object to extended first editions in other colors, materials, slightly altered models.

But if S.T. Dupont feel they are dealing honestly, there's no reason why they wouldn't answer my letters. But instead they quickly removed their original advertisement from their website. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but when I buy a LE pen I expect it to be limited. There are other ways of offering pens in exclusive editions: numbered editions (which in effect is what S.T.Dupunt is offering), Year editions. like Faber Casell does. etc.

And if my ways are not as theirs- Let them mind their own affairs. A.E. Housman

Well, now you have me confused. Is n't the whole purpose of a limited edition that it is just that? Limited? S.T. Dupont first offered a LE of 15. When they sold out, they continued with 16/30. What will stop them continuing with 31/100? Where is the limit in this?

I don't object to second editions in general. For instance Delta offered a second edition of the Pompeï, nice pen. They advertised and offered them as a second edition, I bought one, knowing it to be a second edition, so I could write with that pen and keep my first edition pen in better condition. Indeed, nothing wrong there. Equally I do not object to extended first editions in other colors, materials, slightly altered models.

But if S.T. Dupont feel they are dealing honestly, there's no reason why they wouldn't answer my letters. But instead they quickly removed their original advertisement from their website. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but when I buy a LE pen I expect it to be limited. There are other ways of offering pens in exclusive editions: numbered editions (which in effect is what S.T.Dupunt is offering), Year editions. like Faber Casell does. etc.

Did you not post "Half a year after I bought the pens from Tay (Pensinasia) I found an offer on Ebay for the exact same pens, but with the LE number of 25/30 and the imprint: 2e edition. "?

If it is imprinted as "2e edition" then it seems pretty clear it is a second edition and sold as a second edition.

AbE:

About not responding to your letters. I wish it were otherwise but I have found that many companies today simply don't respond to customer contact. ST Dupont is not alone in that regard and fit in nicely with Pizza Hut who has not responded to either letters or email.

I have somewhat similar issues with my Sheaffer Washington and Richmond. They are imprinted xxxx/1865 but in reality only 500 of each were made.

Edited by jar

My Website

• 2 months later...

It wouldn't just be for signatures. And because fountain pens give so much tactile pleasure as you write, many people find that after they get a pen they love, they begin to improve their handwriting as well. It's something about the feather-light touch, the feel of nib on paper, the flow and sudden drying of liquid, even the scent of the ink: it naturally leads to slowing down, relaxing your arm, and gracefully drawing the letters. You might find that writing with a fountain pen is every bit as enjoyable as owning a Dupont. And over time, your careful writing for enjoyment becomes your everyday handwriting

What a wonderful explanation for something I truly experienced, since I started using a fountain pen to keep my diary.

:)

All the stuff the guy showed of his pen and box and adds and so on were also for my very good fake Dupont.

Had the nib tipping been ok, I'd been very satisfied with my hoping like hell flea market find.

A top pen for €35...a counterfeit better than most modern top of the line pens.

Jar told me the sad truth.....sigh...

Defiantly buy reliable and if it's real, it's going to cost more than fakes.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 3 months later...

Dupont is not as popular here as it should be...The Top of The Line Pen.

Could be it is not popular in they have the best counterfeiting. ...and it's a metal pen, so for some that counts against it's popularity. It costs more than other metal pens.

It only took me 5 years to get a real one in a live auction. The first thing and only thing in the pen was not sold with a box was check to see if the underside of the clip was as smooth and polished as the top.

I did not go chasing one in they are nails,,, the best of nails, but nails...and I have five....got to sell a nail now that I've reminded my self; one only need a nail in each width......hummm naw, my broad nail is not worth getting made CI. It's a Lamy. :)

Some five or so years ago, Jar helped me 'know' what I'd had as a 5% chance of a flea market Dupont buy for €35 was as fake as I'd hoped it wasn't.

Had it a good butter smooth nib it would have been a very nice $50-90 dollar pen. It was a finely made pen. No!!! You do not have to take micro-mesh to a Dupont nib. They are the natural golden Guernsey butter under butter nibs.

It was well done....the underside wasn't polished as good as the top on the underside of the clip as the top. Dupont is perfect...big Period. It is polished perfectly where you seldom look.

The booklet color is slightly different......what wonderful advertisements was in the box....Why would any one keep the advertisements???? Clue number 1.

I can see keeping a warranted card, but not all the BS in the box. Too much I'm real and never ever even been used....someone spent a lot of money to get rid of it cheaply....just for you.

It was a bit late for back then, but nope, Dupont don't make nibs that attract magnets. Always take a small magnet with you to the flea market.

The box color is just the slightest tad off...but only helps if you really know the color. Easy once one is at home and comes to the com...a bit paler. The box printing is of course perfect...it is a Dupont.

So is the booklet....something about orangey looking paper....that wasn't true to the original....probably the right color now. They have had enough time.

The instruction booklet in many languages was also a great fake....do you still have the instruction book of how to put a cartridge into a c/c pen????

There was something about the end of the section, that was not Dupont style. I'm sure they bettered that. Or style for that pen.

Having never seen the the original of that red and black checkered style...couldn't tell it was as sharp and clear as it should have been. Sure looked good to me...sigh; had it a nib, I'd kept it.

You don't get a €28 Dupont in a flea market. You might get a €5-10 one though....so never pay more than $5-15 for a Dupont. Some one might not know what they have at a flea market.

Higher and still 'dirt' cheap, like $35-40.....it's not a replica, it's a counterfeit; with enough papers to prove your mule descents directly from Seabiscuit. (good race between Seabiscuit and Triple Crown winner War Admiral on youtube)

I don't think a reputable nib re-tipper would re-tip a counterfeit's nib, or for only another $80 you could have a smooth as a Dupont counterfeit.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Several years ago, I bought anS.T. DuPont ballpoint from Saks off Fifth outlet store in Nashville Tenn. It did not match any of the then current models advertised and used a Parker style refill. It came in a red box with paperwork. It was well made and even had a serial number on side of clip. I have yet to determine if it is indeed real, but fear its a fake, it is hefty and solid so I like using it anyway.

Secundum Artem

• 3 years later...