Inky T O D - Ink Mixing - Mad Scientist V. Safety Inspector

AAAndrew

You hear all kinds of warnings about mixing inks. I read the thread from a while back about what inks people mixed that caused problems.

That convinces me that I don't want to mix inks IN my pen, but I'm still curious about mixing inks in a bottle.

So, what are the warning signs that something has gone horribly wrong and I shouldn't use this mutant mixture in my pen?

Obviously, if the whole mess becomes solid, viscous, precipitates solid flakes, changes color significantly (goes from two reds to a bright blue), leaves a staining film on the glass, or explodes, I would consider my experiment failed.

What else? And it seems that reds seem more prone to mixing problems. (I know red dyes are notoriously difficult to do well).

Anything else to look out for?

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AAAndrew

• amberleadavis

• dizzypen

• Sandy1

When I mix ink's I will generally let them sit in the bottle for a week to make sure that nothing is out of the ordinary. If I don't have solids, semi solids, or the consistency of cooking oil, I will put it into one of my tester pens and take it for a spin.

Obviously, if the whole mess becomes solid, viscous, precipitates solid flakes, changes color significantly (goes from two reds to a bright blue), leaves a staining film on the glass, or explodes, I would consider my experiment failed.

I'd say you've pretty well summed it up. Whenever I do mixes I suspect will be problematic, I let the ink sit in a plastic vial for at least a week to see what it does.

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

Oh, this is a great question..... I'd love to get some of the notorious mixers (Sandy1) to explain about her method. I suspect she has safety goggles but I haven't seen a picture. Cyber6 and I have both been known to be BAD and mix right in the pen. This method is dangerous and lazy. :)

Would you mind if I made this an Inky T O D tomorrow?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Go for it. Enquiring Minds Want to Know!!!!

Now I'm also thinking about diluting. Just read that thread and I think some of my 15-year-old inks need a bit of water added back in.

Then it's on to mixing!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

I mix small amounts in a small container. In the absence of any visible reactions (turning in to a green blob and eating the cat | melting through the desk and down through the floor | small nuclear explostion) I test it in a dip pen. I then keep it in a small vial for a few days, and if it still looks good, I may then make up a larger batch.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

And you can see experiment reports in the Inky Recipes forum. Anything from staining the cat to "sudden tentacles appearing at night and feeding on prior pages"...

Hi,

Basic method for risk assessment - a reformatted excerpt from creating the Gal-Lexi blend:

Stability, etc.
- Three ml of the mix was placed in a 5ml glass vial and left at rest for three days.*
⁃ The vial did not ex/implode
⁃ Nothing untoward was observed with the aid of a 7X loupe
⁃ There were no reports of missing domestic critters, including tots
⁃ No event horizon appeared imminent
⁃ The Ink Putti showed no signs of alarm.
- A 9cm glass eyedropper was filled with the mix, then left at rest in a vertical posture for three days. No layering or separation within the standing column was observed with the aid of a 7X loupe.

* I prefer glass vessels over plastic or robust labware: Glass is more likely to fail, hence acting as an indicator that all is not right: rapid thermal reaction, variation in pressure, levitation, etc. I previously used glass dappen dishes with lids to store the mixture, thinking that if the lid blew off, I'd hear it and could deal with the errant blend with the Remington SP10, hence avoid/delay deploying the standby physics package.

It is no wonder that the Chemists at work tell me, "Sandy, you're not a Chemist - get out of our lab."

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Ink putti?

Now I've got a vision of fat little winged babies with fountain pens. Thanks.

Has anyone actually witnessed an entodthrmic or exothermic reaction just from ink???

I could see precipitate,gassing, or gunking, but explosions? Takes me back to my physical chemistry days.

Since I'm not using Noodlers, I doubt I'll open any portals to any dread dimensions. [i kid! I kid!]

I find the little 20ml plastic cups that come with liquid medicine are useful, and free. (Always a bonus)

Thanks for all the responses. I feel better about experimenting, and if one of the cats happens to go missing, I won't complain THAT much.

-Montaigne

:) Today, you are the inky inquiry.

If cats go missing with your ink, you have a large rat problem.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

:) Today, you are the inky inquiry.

If cats go missing with your ink, you have a large rat problem.

Or a large SITB problem!

But at least my rats will be dapper. And there is a difference between SITB and Portal to the Underworld of the Ancients. Hopefully.

I'm honored to be TOD.

-Montaigne

And there is a difference between SITB and Portal to the Underworld of the Ancients. Hopefully.

Just keep your eyes and ears open. I've heard some of my ink mixes chanting rather primitive war chants in the dead of night. My advice: protect your pets and sleep with one eye open! :ninja:

OH, back to your original question ...

Look for signs of obvious chemical reactions.

Foaming, Frothing, Heat, Cold, nuclear reactor melt down warning sirens... j.k.

Noodler's QSH looked great, but I realized it wasn't little dots falling out of solution, but a whole thick paint like substance. BTW, that did sheen.

P.S.

When I used Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink (ESSRI) as the base for some recipes, that ink was added to the distilled water before adding other inks, with the intention of raising the pH of the liquid into which other inks would be added. ESSRI has a pH of about 2.

e.g. Recipe 8

1) Stir 1 unit of ESSRI into 1 unit of water.

2) Mix thoroughly.

3) Cross fingers to invoke good fortune.

4) Stir in 1 unit of Noodler's Ottoman Azure.

Bye,

S1

__ __

ESSRI Blends : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/223337-essri-mixes/?p=2219295

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

Basic method for risk assessment - a reformatted excerpt from creating the Gal-Lexi blend:

Stability, etc.

- Three ml of the mix was placed in a 5ml glass vial and left at rest for three days.*

⁃ The vial did not ex/implode

⁃ Nothing untoward was observed with the aid of a 7X loupe

⁃ There were no reports of missing domestic critters, including tots

⁃ No event horizon appeared imminent

⁃ The Ink Putti showed no signs of alarm.

- A 9cm glass eyedropper was filled with the mix, then left at rest in a vertical posture for three days. No layering or separation within the standing column was observed with the aid of a 7X loupe.

* I prefer glass vessels over plastic or robust labware: Glass is more likely to fail, hence acting as an indicator that all is not right: rapid thermal reaction, variation in pressure, levitation, etc. I previously used glass dappen dishes with lids to store the mixture, thinking that if the lid blew off, I'd hear it and could deal with the errant blend with the Remington SP10, hence avoid/delay deploying the standby physics package.

It is no wonder that the Chemists at work tell me, "Sandy, you're not a Chemist - get out of our lab."

Bye,

S1

You just won the thread with actually using "physics package" in correct context. :lol:

• 1 year later...

Considering this thread is frequently referenced, I'm surprised by how short it is. You can see other threads for Bunny Suits used when mixing inks.

This is Ralphie's bunny suit:

http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/bunny2.jpg

Ralphie as a grown up.

http://shewalkssoftly.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/pink-bunny-suit-large.png?w=450

This is the bunny suit S's co-workers wear after reviewing the "event horizon".

http://assets.bizjournals.com/albany/print-edition/bunnysuits*750.jpg?v=1

Funny, that's how my co-workers dress whenever I schedule a meeting. I keep telling them, "I'm no longer contagious, and it was just a cold, for crying out loud."

Germs at work. Not a laughing matter it seems.

Now I've moved on to mixing for dip pens. Much lower bar for success as precipitate isn't that much of a concern. Now, when the steel nib melts, or starts to smoke, then we may have a problem. But that's just SCIENCE!

-Montaigne

I started some minor mixing experiment last week, mixed Sailor Shigure with Diamine Claret, well the mix still isn't what I look for, but seems they are stand together. The mix is still clear, flows inside the "container" as should be.