A Funny Thing Happened On...

Wahlnut

A funny thing happened on the golf course. I was playing a round with a golf-friend and we got to talking about what I do when not playing golf. He was amazed about the pen business for many reasons. As many non-pen folks always say: “Fountain Pens?! Didn’t they go out of use around the time of transistor radios? And Second: Why the (expletive deleted) would anyone spend more than $3 for a pen!?” followed quickly by, “Why not just use the ones they give you for free at the hotel?”

“Here we go again,” I thought. OK, (lets call him Dave), “Dave, you see there are a lot of folks who really think handwriting is important, and that expressive handwriting is nice.” Blank stare. I went on,, “And Dave, you would be surprised how many people think that there is something historically refined about the use of a fine mid-century modern looking writing instrument.” Even blanker stare, but now with a hint of a smirk signifying he was talking with a certifiable whacko. “ And,” I pursued, “they make great gifts for important occasions; gifts that express a more serious, useful academic sort of direction.” Suddenly Dave’s expression changed entirely. “Hmmm,” he said, “My wife’s been after me to come up with a special gift for our son-in-law who is being promoted to Commander in the Navy and taking on an important command at his Naval Air Station.” So I mentioned that our Navy-Blue and Gold Skyline Classic might be a nice idea. Long story short, by the end of the round he ordered one of our new WAHL-EVERSHARP Skyline Blue and Gold Skyline Classics! He saw the light!

But that’s not then end of the story. At the next golf outing (we play twice a week) I delivered the pen to him. And at our very next outing he said that his son saw the pen he gave to his son-in-law and wanted one too because he was staring an important new job. SO now an other-wise well educated, practical gentleman who did not think a fine writing instrument was necessary for anything, and who thought that $3.00 was the most one should want tot pay for a pen, was the proud purchaser-gift-giver of about $400 in 2 pens.

But the really good news is that before buying the second pen he test-wrote with it and was amazed at how well it wrote, how smooth it was on paper, and how much fun it was to write with, and how it made his handwritten signature so good looking! I wonder how many other un-awakened potential pen users (or gift givers) are similarly oblivious to what a fine pen can do for them!

So if you are looking for a truly meaningful gift for graduation, promotion, groomsman/bridesmaid, Fathers Day or any other significant occasion, made by a company with a reputation for exceptional quality control and customer service, think of the pen that has been proudly given for almost 100 years - WAHL-EVERSHARP.
www.wahleversharp.com

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PAKMAN

• BernieC

• DaveBj

• Algester

to think of it I haven't really practice making my own signature but then I think about it I'm designing my own seal... does that mean I still need to practice making signatures LOL...

well good job on converting one, as for me I already gave some of my friends FPs they like it however I also gave my father and sister FPs with mix reactions :X... hahaha... sigh... to my shock my brother bought his own pen (2 Lamys in fact a Vista and a Safari in charcoal black) and I do not have any reasons what to think... since I got into it earlier... maybe he saw I was using them got jealous bought his own and never used them.... same goes to my father whom I gave a waterman gentleman... <_< yeah...

Edited by Algester

Love the story! Keep on converting the masses!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Great story. I like it when people that have never used a fountain pen try one for the first time and understand the magic.

Edited by BernieC

When the pupil is ready, the teacher will come.

:D

You should spend less time golfing and more time fishing, 'cause you already know how to set a hook.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

Aw, nice story, I was kinda expecting Dave would ALSO buy one for for himself :P

Careful when buying a bird.. you'll end up with a flock before you know it.

Thank you for sharing your story. I gave friends Pilot Varsity fountain pens but have no idea if they used them. I need to follow up and find out if any of them are close to coming over to fountain pens. They can't spend $400 on two pens, but I could direct them to Jet Pens for some under $20. I figure it takes buying that one for yourself to get to the second and third and twentieth.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...