Wing Sung 590

Anyone have one of these? I've seen a couple of reviews about them, but nothing overly extensive. I know they're oversize pens but my understanding is that they're also made of celluloid? My understanding is that celluloid is usually found on vintage and high end pens, so surely more people should be snapping these up considering they go for about $10?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MX5l

• disillusion

• mbradley

• Art

I have this pen, paid around $5 shipped from a seller on Taobao. It is made of plastic, not celluloid. Mine was NOS, no visible scratches but some of the gold colour on the cap band and clip has come off. The inside of the pen had a strong smell of old books (I hope you know what I mean?) and some white powdery stuff that took me a long soak to get off. The nib is decent, not amazingly smooth, and lays down a fine line. The pen is huge, but not too heavy, so I can see myself being able to use it for long sessions. Balance is good unposted, and a bit top-heavy when posted, but then I have tiny hands so YMMV.

Where did you see this pen? $10 is alright but I'd be careful if the seller is misrepresenting the pen as celluloid.

Edited by disillusion

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Instagram

Oh but he/she wrote in the handwritten review that it is entirely made of plastic, so maybe it was a typo? I can say with confidence that it is plastic.

If you want to know more, let me know. I have not used it much because I don't particularly care for oversized pens, but I can ink it up and see how it performs as a daily writer.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Instagram

Oh but he/she wrote in the handwritten review that it is entirely made of plastic, so maybe it was a typo? I can say with confidence that it is plastic.

If you want to know more, let me know. I have not used it much because I don't particularly care for oversized pens, but I can ink it up and see how it performs as a daily writer.

Ah thanks for the offer :)

That would actually be very much appreciated! I like oversize pens and if this one is any good, it might be worth adding to the collection at $10.

Okay I have inked it up and will try to use it as much as possible in the next few days. Will come back with a more detailed report.

Instagram

Okay I have inked it up and will try to use it as much as possible in the next few days. Will come back with a more detailed report.

:thumbup:

Thank you, I hope the experience won't be awful or I'll start to feel guilty for asking you :P

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not posting earlier, been quite busy lately. After 2 weeks of extensive use, I can say that it is a very good daily writer. The aerometric converter actually works quite well unlike some cheaper Hero pens, and 6 or 7 squeezes should get the sac full, which has a capacity of about 1.3ml. The pen is a wet and smooth writer, with no hard starting or skipping issues. As I mentioned before, the weight and balance is good for me, I can write 20+ pages without noticing the pen much because it is doing its job well. I don't think there are any serious issues with this pen that should deter you from getting it. At $10 I would say it is worth a shot, but do remember to give it a good soak before inking.

Instagram

• 4 months later...

I have one. I paid U.S. $3.99 shipped from China. The pen took a couple of weeks to arrive. The pen has a strong smell which is really only noticeable when filling the aerometric style convertor, I believe the odor is from the sac itself. I pulled the nib and feed and widened the ink channel. I also aligned the tines which took all of a minute or two. The pen writes nice and wet and the nib is relatively soft as the material is thin. I really enjoy writing with this pen. The metal work is in pretty good condition, slight tarnishing to the trim on the cap. The pen is oversized but quite light and does not need to be posted to be comfortable in my large hands. I would definitely buy this pen again.

Michael

I have one of these pens ordered. Perhaps I'll need to experiment with the types of things Michael is talking about. I've never done any modifications to a pen but at that price I guess I can afford to mess it up.

I have one of these pens ordered. Perhaps I'll need to experiment with the types of things Michael is talking about. I've never done any modifications to a pen but at that price I guess I can afford to mess it up.

I think that if you carefully pull the nib and feed straight out without twisting you will be fine, it is a simple friction fit. You may not even need to align your tines and perhaps the pen will write wet enough for you right out of the box. The nib is so soft that if you do you need to align the tines just be gentle, carefully push up the lowest tine to align it with the other.

Michael

I think that if you carefully pull the nib and feed straight out without twisting you will be fine, it is a simple friction fit. You may not even need to align your tines and perhaps the pen will write wet enough for you right out of the box. The nib is so soft that if you do you need to align the tines just be gentle, carefully push up the lowest tine to align it with the other.

Michael

Thanks Michael. I'll flush the pen first and give it a try without any adjustments. Hopefully it will be fine, although I do need to learn how to make some adjustments sooner or later. I have an X750 that would not write at all and I tried some things I'd seen on a Youtube video. It sort of worked. I'm not 100% happy with the nib or the amount of ink flow on it yet but I'll keep trying.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have one of these? I've seen a couple of reviews about them, but nothing overly extensive. I know they're oversize pens but my understanding is that they're also made of celluloid? My understanding is that celluloid is usually found on vintage and high end pens, so surely more people should be snapping these up considering they go for about $10?

I bought mine a couple of months ago for $15, which is considerably higher than the prices quoted here. The finish, etc. were satisfactory but then I've bought Wingsungs and Heros from this bloke on ebay and I know that he checks the pens ere dispatch. Notwithstanding that, the pen nearly didn't write at all until it finally did - and hasn't given me any problems thereafter.

The pen is made of plastic and is incredibly light for its size. Speaking of size, it gets its ridiculous dimensions because there's all of 25 mm between the bottom of the filler and distal end. I wonder what the designer was thinking? There's a teensy metal ring at the bottom of the barrel which has stopped me from trying it as an ED. If this could've been made an ED, it really would've held a copious quantity of ink!

I'm using this pen today at work, incidentally, and is the most regularly rotated of my Chinese FPs.

------------------------------------------------------

'Nothing' isn't impossible. I've done it all my life

http://fountainpenreviews.wordpress.com/

There's a teensy metal ring at the bottom of the barrel which has stopped me from trying it as an ED. If this could've been made an ED, it really would've held a copious quantity of ink!

I'm using this pen today at work, incidentally, and is the most regularly rotated of my Chinese FPs.

The finial at the end of the barrel screws out. You could seal its hollow threaded shaft inside and out.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I put a Goulet stub nib in mine after widening the channels in the feed.It is probably a touch too big for my hand, but I still enjoy writing with it, and I keep meaning to try out another use that's come to mind.

• 1 year later...

Hate to awaken this thread, but I picked one of these up and thought I would share my experience.

Amazon Purchase for $10 total. Received it in about 3 weeks. Came in very flimsy box, was almost afraid that it might have been damaged, luckily it was not.

As mentioned previously, the smell of the pen was a bit horrendous. I thought the Noodler's Ahab was smelly, but this one is by far the worst.

Cleaned the pen with soap and water, let it dry out.

Inspecting the pen, the finish is a little rough and the cap threads are just as rough. I added a little grease to it which helped.

I inked the pen up with some Private Reserve Spearmint....and nothing....did not really write initially, let it sit for 30 minutes, it started writing but would hard start after an hour or 2, completely non-responsive left overnight.

After doing some troubleshooting, realized that the feed was blocked up and very, very narrow. Pulled out the Exacto knife and did my first feed modification.

Reflushed the feed to get all the plastic feed shavings out and took a tooth brush too the main line and the fins.

Re-assembled - it is a whole new pen and one of my favorite Chinese writers!!

Inked it with Noodler's 54th Mass. it is a nice, wet writer and in my opinion, the nib is way better than it should be at the price. Smooth with a touch of feedback, but it feels great.

It still smells to high heaven, but you have to intentionally smell it, unlike when I first unboxed it. Your hands tend to get some of the aroma as well....just be aware. :D

I LOVE larger pens and this one is nice to write with. It is deceptively light for its size.

I had pretty much the same experience, but after the feed adjustments, I swapped the nib out for a Jinhao X750 nib that I had in my parts box. I never did get the original nib the way I wanted it.

• 9 months later...

I believe, according to a posting on this site or perhaps from an eBay vendor, that the pens were produced in the early '90's.

Edited by k3eax

Yes, it seems you are right. I saw it on an Ebay listing - by the way, they are very cheap at the moment - not even 3 USD. I bought 3 of them, because I read in this thread that the nib can be switched - I want EF and F nibs with this pen. :)

LINK to a reliable ebay seller, I have bought many pens with this seller.

Edited by mke