Mb Writers Edition 2014--Daniel Defoe

TalkieWalkie

Thank Michael!

Looks much better than the other pics that I have found so far.

I think I will get this one too.

Edited by KJY

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):

Appelboom

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrandonA

• Zenistar

• KJY

• da vinci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Michael, really shows off the detail nicely. It does however cleverly hide the step from section to barrel. Notwithstanding that, I really like it.

Edited by da vinci

ugly, I don't like it

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thank Michael!

Looks much better than the other pics that I have found so far.

I think I will get this one too.

It looks even better in person too.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Best picture I've found so far:

http://www.juwelier-stettin.de/upload/5453684-Defoe-Set-Internet.jpg

Taken from the web: http://www.juwelier-stettin.de/upload/5453684-Defoe-Set-Internet.jpg

Looks like the new WE made it on this year's birthday wish list again :-) ...of course with the matching ink!

Cheers Michael

This picture did it for me. I am going to get this pen. Now, the hard question is which nib I should get..... My rational self says get an F, while my other sides tell me I should go for B (a stubbish B at that).

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

My birthday is in the fall, and I think those MB people know it! I do love the piston knob and the big cap band. That feather clip is also highly attractive.

Today I got to see this pen close-up, actually it was the triple set of fountain, rollerball and pencil, but I only took the fountain pen out of the cabinet.

The colour on the pen is quite different to that of the photos that have been widely distributed, there is more red in the brown and some of the whirls within the resin are very pronounced. I would actually not have bought the fountain pen tonight if the barrel / cap that I saw were the only option as there was a single stripe up the back of the cap that I didn't like. The pattern on each pen is slightly unique so the pencil that i looked at had more of a loose chevron than a stripe pattern.

The metal on the pen is dark and looks burnished on the feather - very nice, but the serial number has been moved off the metal clip band and looked like it was printed onto the resin of the pen (i had no loupe, nor my glasses to check properly), the metal scroll work is very nice but i found that i tried to unscrew the pen as if the scrollwork was part of the barrel rather than part of the cap.

With writing I was limited to dipping and the nib was lovely and smooth (m), also in the same darkened metal as the rest of the furniture (I'm actually a bit worried about this wearing off), i found it rather like the nib on my Humboldt.

Two other things i noticed, when screwing the cap to the barrel, you think it is screwed up but there is a mm gap between the two, then you give it an extra turn and this closes up, finally the cap seems to have a hole in the end so when you look inside the cap, you see through the hole and then through the white star. The hole is not visible from the outside.

My local shop would have sold me the triple set tonight but has no indication from MB when the single pens will arrive, nor what nib options they will have, though they did confirm that MB will carry out the usual swap if the pen is sent back to Hamburg.

On the ink side, there is no sign of the ink, but they expect it to show up with the pens shortly.

Edited by Zenistar

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem (Remember when life's path is steep to keep your mind even)http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Thanks for sharing. I ordered mine in April after seeing it in hand in a MB 2014 preview.

Talking to the boutique staff in Zurich today and they revealed that the official release date is 1st August.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem (Remember when life's path is steep to keep your mind even)http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

For set version - 1 August; single pen - 1 September.

Set versions are already available here, I've been able to buy it for the last two weeks.

The Boutique staff in Zurich were adamant that the singles will be available from 1st August in fine / medium, they don't expect any bolds to be included in the initial release but they are expecting bolds to be released this year without having to send the pens in for nib swaps.

It's not the MB Boutique that I go to in Zurich, to be honest I hate that shop and the people in it (near Paradeplatz), the shop that gets all my money is Landolt Arbenz further up Bahnoffstrasse, they are a main Montblanc retailer but also sell several other brands along with general high class desk accessories etc.

It's a great shop. I can only agree! At the moment I live abroad, but it is one of my favourite pen shop in Switerland (with Schiff in St. Gallen).

Pens are out today as singles in the US. I just came back from looking at one inthe local boutique. I personally did not like it. I was disappointed the feather shaped clip appeared to be laser etched and i did not like the texture. The swirl int he resin was nice and I liked the grayish finish to the metal and the nib, but it did not move me, especailly at a list price of $1110.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Just had confirmation that my pen is available. I'll be going to pick it up this evening.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Hi Brandon,

Once you have had a chance to pick up and test your Defoe, I would very much like to hear your thoughts on how it handles, especially the nib. Thanks .

Lamb South

True Beauty is when a kindly word encourages and brings an unexpected smile.

Hi Brandon,

Once you have had a chance to pick up and test your Defoe, I would very much like to hear your thoughts on how it handles, especially the nib. Thanks .

I've just collected it. I imagine it will write like all the others. I don't though ink my pens anymore so I can't give you any advise - it's been added to the collection box and has already been put away. I've not yet weighed it but I suspect it will fall in the lower half of the range.

The price was more than I'd hoped. They've reduced the number of pens to 10,000 (this will be a continuing trend across all the LE ranges) and upped the price to £740.

I'll try the ink in another pen later this week.

I also got a pair of the gloves the assistants wear which was an unexpected freebie.

^^ Lucky guy!

I am gonna wait till the end of the year. I just pulled the trigger on a couple of Delta from Bryant for the time being.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Just got mine the other day 3xxx of 10000, M Nib, Didn't warm up to it initially looking at the pictures, but in person it is most spectacular (to me). Balance uncapped and heft is perfect for extended writing for my hand, and I didn't get bothered by the step. Love the engraved details and the feather clip.... this is easily one of the most fascinating pens I have. Inked it with Iroshizuku Yama-Guri today.... imho, lovely, lovely, lovely writer. So smooth and juicy and so uncannily consistent as far as writing characteristics with my other Writers. My Visconti Homo Sapiens Crystal with the Palladium nib edges it just a tiny bit for that satiny nib feel, though.

Been enjoying the simple joy of writing after recovering from an arm injury recently. Life is good again :)