#31 PenTieRun

PenTieRun

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:02

I really like the looks of this.  It's quite different from recent WE pens.  That feather clip is slick looking, even if it does rip off Delta a bit.

#32 Lordrdx666

Lordrdx666

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:52

looks strange... I don't know but somehow the whole styling looks very delta pens style !?!? who agrees :roller1:  ?

Dentist... Guitar player (not playing these days).... And a fountain pen user like all of you!

#33 Chrissy

Chrissy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:08

That step killed it for me.

Unless it looks better in the flesh so to speak, that step would kill it for me too.

What is it about Montblanc and steps down from barrel to grip? Can't they just make the grip a slightly bigger diameter?

postcardde9.png

#34 Toll

Toll

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:31

I agree Lordrdx666 -- or maybe a Stipula. Not my cup of tea at all.

Pens in Rotation::Delta Dolce Vita:Montblanc Paso Doble Bleu:Montblanc 147 Burgundy:Montblanc 149 (90th Anniversary Meisterstuck):Meisterstuck Solitaire Gold and Black Stripes:Montblanc Starwalker:Nakaya Portable Writer(Kikyo):Sailor Pro Gear Green Mosaic:Waterman L'Etalon

#35 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:45

I think the look could grow on me, but like others have pointed out-- that step looks to be a deal breaker. Maybe it won't be as bad as the photo suggests. 

#36 Lordrdx666

Lordrdx666

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 16:40

I agree Lordrdx666 -- or maybe a Stipula. Not my cup of tea at all.

The step and the whole leaf type design and all...

This is not Mont Blanc type of styling this is too Italian style - Delta :/

Dentist... Guitar player (not playing these days).... And a fountain pen user like all of you!

#37 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• 1,576 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 20:03

The cap looks like a suppository put on the body.

An excellent reason to keep the cap when loaning you a pen.

#38 GUNGA GALUNGA

GUNGA GALUNGA

Extremely Rare

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2014 - 20:22

Just bought this several days ago in Grand Cayman. I thinks it's called Starwalker midnight. I bought it because I liked the floating star. Other than that, there is nothing real impressive about this pen

Attached Images

• image.jpg

#39 BrandonA

BrandonA

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,457 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2014 - 20:32

Just bought this several days ago in Grand Cayman. I thinks it's called Starwalker midnight. I bought it because I liked the floating star. Other than that, there is nothing real impressive about this pen

And that is relevant to this thread about the new WE pen because?

My Collection:
Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift. & Balzac
Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP
Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP
Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.
Play WE game. or POA game.

#40 orfew

orfew

Antique

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 1,787 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2014 - 21:37

An excellent reason to keep the cap when loaning you a pen.

ROTFL

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

#41 mrchan

mrchan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2014 - 21:28

And that is relevant to this thread about the new WE pen because?

My thoughts exactly.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

#42 Skoff

Skoff

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:36

Now, I quite like this pen, to the point where my wife has agreed to buy it for me for our 10th wedding anniversary this year (Robinson Crusoe stuck on a desert island - do you think she is trying to tell me something???). I'm especially intrigued by the brown resin that looks like wood - that sounds like a very interesting feature to me. I also like the clip.

Anyway for those who have bought new WEs before, is it possible to order a BB nib? Does one have to buy the pen and then send it off for a nib swap, or can you just pick it up from a boutique with the nib you want? If you get a BB nib swap, does it have the WE design on it, or are you given a 'standard nib'?

Sorry for the simplistic questions, but I have only bought Montblanc pens from John Lewis and that famous auction site before.

#43 KJY

KJY

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,155 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 20:18

Now, I quite like this pen, to the point where my wife has agreed to buy it for me for our 10th wedding anniversary this year (Robinson Crusoe stuck on a desert island - do you think she is trying to tell me something???). I'm especially intrigued by the brown resin that looks like wood - that sounds like a very interesting feature to me. I also like the clip.

Anyway for those who have bought new WEs before, is it possible to order a BB nib? Does one have to buy the pen and then send it off for a nib swap, or can you just pick it up from a boutique with the nib you want? If you get a BB nib swap, does it have the WE design on it, or are you given a 'standard nib'?

Sorry for the simplistic questions, but I have only bought Montblanc pens from John Lewis and that famous auction site before.

I have requested nib exchanges before for WE's. You get the same design nib as all other WE's of that year.

That is why it has to be sent back to Hamburg.

So if I were you I would buy it at a authorised dealer/boutique of MB and pre-order it. (Some will ask you for a prepay) They will swap the nib directly after release at the service department so you don't have to wait another 6-8 week after purchase.

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):
Appelboom

#44 bayport714

bayport714

A Hardy Boy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 20:36

The Montblanc Writers Edition jumped the shark last year. This year's pen proves, to me, that they have run out of interesting designs.

#45 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 23:31

The Montblanc Writers Edition jumped the shark last year. This year's pen proves, to me, that they have run out of interesting designs.

I completely disagree, but to each his own. :). I really like the way the Defoe looks, and it is unique within the collection of WE's. No other we looks anything like it. The Balzac is also unique in its own way-- there are other we's that hVe a similar shape but the design on the cap and barrel are very interesting and different from the other WE's

#46 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,223 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 20:52

I wish MB kept the old WE scheme of doing nice reissue vintage pens with a spin

#47 meiers

meiers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,569 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2014 - 21:48

I wish MB kept the old WE scheme of doing nice reissue vintage pens with a spin

My thoughts exactly.

#48 Chrissy

Chrissy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2014 - 22:13

Yes it is possible to ask a Montblanc boutique to order you a WE with a specific nib. You don't have to buy it and send it off for a nib exchange. However, so far as John Lewis is concerned, they may not be willing to order one in with a BB nib. So they usually order them all with M nibs. In that case you can buy it and then request that they send it for a free nib exchange to a BB nib. Then you don't have to pay the postage. The nib will be the specific WE design nib

postcardde9.png

#49 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,895 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:14

This is an interesting perspective when you consider that many other brands "create"  limited edition pens by simply using stock pens and nibs and modestly changing the look of the pen with different colors and fixtures and charging a lot more.    

#50 BrandonA

BrandonA

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,457 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:19

I got to handle the pen last night. The pictures do not do it justice. The brown and black resin is gorgeous to look at, similar to some of the other pens like the Faulkner no two will be completely identical.

There are also matching cuff links in the style of the parrots feature. Very unusual but quite striking.

My Collection:
Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift. & Balzac

#51 salesguy

salesguy

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:20

Resin looks great, very subtle.

It reminds me of the Starwalker (I think its the bulbous cap) which is a pen I have never connected with.  I dont think this one will be making its way into my collection!

#52 torstar

torstar

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2014 - 13:01

Looks like a starwalker reincarnation..

At least it doesn't look like the trend of metal monsters that would break your foot if you dropped your LE on it.

#53 BrandonA

BrandonA

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,457 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2014 - 14:51

At least it doesn't look like the trend of metal monsters that would break your foot if you dropped your LE on it.

I'd class it as mid weight.  Some of the WEs like the Dostoevsky will be a lot lighter than it but others like the Verne are a lot heavier.  I don't know its actual in grams though.

My Collection:

#54 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2014 - 18:11

Hey Brandon. Any clue what color the new we ink will be? Also. How was the nib design?

#55 BrandonA

BrandonA

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,457 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:03

Hey Brandon. Any clue what color the new we ink will be? Also. How was the nib design?

Nib had the polly the parrot on it.

I didn't think to ask about the ink.

My Collection:

#56 KJY

KJY

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,155 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:44

This is how it looks like.
Sorry for the blurry pic

Attached Images

• image.jpg

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):
Appelboom

#57 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2014 - 13:08

Wow. I like it. The section is very interesting. From the picture it looks like it tapers down into a uniform point. No section lip or raised bit?

I think this is a must own now

Edited by Sblakers, 31 May 2014 - 13:09.

#58 GTOZack

GTOZack

ah that Deaf guy.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2014 - 14:01

it looks like something from lord of the rings 

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort.  B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

#59 orfew

orfew

Antique

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 1,787 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2014 - 14:34

it looks like something from lord of the rings 

Personally I would love to see a Tolkien WE.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

#60 MBFan

MBFan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2014 - 18:06

I wish!
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously- Noam Chomsky