Looking For My First Maki-E

jccjr

Truly intrigued by the beautiful designs I've seen on maki-e style pens. I've always been a fan of Pilot and drawn to their workmanship.

That being said, it's a confusing world out there to understand the differences between various models. Prices, of course, vary great from a couple of hundred dollars and several thousand.

Other than the excellent tutorial on the maki-e process, does any one have any guidance or can suggest a way to better understanding these pens?

Certainly would consider Sailor or Platinum or other quality Japanese brands, too. Where's the best place to buy one - beyond the ones I find on eBay?

Money is an object. ;-) So, I'm trying to make the best investment possible.

Thanks in advance for any insights, photos, wisdom or advice you offer.

Cheers!

JC

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jccjr

• stan

• mbosaz

• rubyeyespenlover

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't think investment. Investment grade pens are beyond the reach of most. And, even then, there is no guarantee of value increasing or being maintained.

I strongly suggest you select a design with which you are comfortable and leave it at that. Buy it and enjoy it.

You will hear stories that screened pens are not desirable and cheap imitations and that hiramkie models are not that good.

After fifteen years buying, selling, and collecting Japanese pens I tell you those folks don't have a clue.

At some point in the future when you have done some serious homework (buy books - look at lots of pens - etc.), have the money, and can honestly discern quality of design and workmanship and can appreciate it for what it is, you should start buying/using/collecting more serious pens. This point goes to anyone whether they desire to buy makie or an inexpensive Pilot Prera.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Dear friend,I'd be happy to give to you my new boxes Namiki flower basket rollerball, I also have the Fountain pen Owl if you want!!!

Edited by rubyeyespenlover

post-24335-1241092646.jpg

69 th D a n i t r i o F e l l o w s h i p p e r - Montblanc WE Lover - NAMIKI addicted

http://www.pennamagazine.com

Stan, thanks for your insights; they're very helpful and I love your website...already learning a lot of it.

The reality is that 90% of my pens are users; that what I enjoy.

You're right too in that I'm not in a position or have enough knowledge to drop a bunch of money in order to experience maki-e's beauty on my desk or in my hand.

You've given me some courage to experiment and keep an open mind. I'll try out a couple of less expense ones I have my eyes on and look for some good books.

Also hoping to see some good examples in August at the San Francisco pen show too.

Cheers!

JC

Hi rubyeyespenlover, tell me more about what you have and why you like these pens.

Full disclosure is that I really prefer fountain pens.

Thanks.

John

I have been writing with several limited edition ST Dupont Chinese lacquer pens and a few vintage Waterman flex pens.

I have not thought of owning a pen made in the country of the Rising Sun, until I saw this beautiful maki-e Kamakura pen with a music nib. They have only made 100 of this pen and I was very lucky to own one.

post-101419-0-48003000-1399069341_thumb.jpg

post-101419-0-76927400-1399069378_thumb.jpg

post-101419-0-96657600-1399069440_thumb.jpg

I've seen several for sale at the LA Pen Show in the past few years. They are nice looking pens and can be had for relatively low cost.

Technique is screen printing.

There was a very long discussion about them either here or on Zoss List five or six years ago.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

My understanding is that, from an investment perspective, Pilot/Namiki tend to be more stable than most other Japanese brands. While it is true that most investment grade pens well out of any reasonable person's reach, I've nonetheless seen a hand-crafted Maki-e (88th Anniversary Nioh) increase to a value well in excess of what I paid for it. I expect to keep it for a long time, so I hope the trend continues.

That said, even if it does not, I will always love this pen. It is a precise writer with some beautiful hand-painted/etched art on it. I would focus on finding a design that moves you, and get that. The first time I saw that Nioh, I was hooked.

Stan, thanks for your insights; they're very helpful and I love your website...already learning a lot of it.

The reality is that 90% of my pens are users; that what I enjoy.

You're right too in that I'm not in a position or have enough knowledge to drop a bunch of money in order to experience maki-e's beauty on my desk or in my hand.

You've given me some courage to experiment and keep an open mind. I'll try out a couple of less expense ones I have my eyes on and look for some good books.

Also hoping to see some good examples in August at the San Francisco pen show too.

Cheers!

JC

I think this whole maki-e business is similar to buying art.

You can buy art by a famous artist but it's possible what you personally like is different, and not as valuable.

You can go the 'books and exhibitions' way if you want to become a collector or dealer. Then you also get the satisfaction of labelling others less knowledgeable than you as "amateurs".Whether the emperor has clothes no one knows.

So just get what you like within your budget.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

Maki-e is very dependent upon an individual's preference for style.

When I first saw maki-e pens, I thought most of them were downright gaudy. That is, until I saw my "moon" pen, a Danitrio Takumi with what I thought was subtle and very beautiful artistry. This pen, officially called "Akikazu no Tsuki," has haiku as well, which loosely translates as, "See how clear and bright, Is the moonlight finding ways, Through the riven clouds, That with drifting autumn wind, Gracefully float in the sky." Then I had to have the FPN Fellowship pen, too, and then... you get the picture.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j111/kiavonne/Pens/Danitrio%20Akikazu%20no%20Tsuki/Moon04.jpg

I had to have it, and it started my fascination with Danitrio maki-e. Some are still "too much" for me, but others really sing to me. I like plain urushi pens, but like various styles of maki-e, too. Those I have struck a chord with me and I have some kind of attached emotion or sentiment with them.

I also found that I wanted my own, custom maki-e pens. I have a pair of octagons from Danitrio, a Neo Standard from Nakaya, and soon a custom Encore desk pen from a collaboration between Brian Gray of Edison Pen Co and Ernest Shin of Hakumin Urushi. The Danitrio pens are by far the most ornate, but they are very beautiful to me and hold particular sentiment for me. The Nakaya is very simple with just a small bit of Yako maki-e on the section. The Edison/Hakumin pen is Nashiji-Nuri and will have a small amount of hand painted maki-e on the section.

Which brings me to the possibility that maybe you want to look at the styles you like, but maybe also consider a custom maki-e that is unique and strikes a chord with you. Custom maki-e pens are not inexpensive, and take months to complete, but they are well worth the investment to have a unique pen in the style of maki-e you prefer. Nakaya and Danitrio are both very established, but ordering the pen through John Mottishaw would be the way to go, especially for a particular nib grind if so desired. But don't count out an Edison/Hakumin collaboration pen, though. There are lots of styles of pen to choose from or even a custom style pen to your specifications from Brian Gray, who would then send it on to Ernest Shin for the urushi and/or maki-e finish of your choice. How much or how little you want dictates the price for a fully custom maki-e pen. Then it is up to you after all is said and done as to whether your pen is just art, or functioning art. All of my urushi and maki-e pens have been inked written with at some point, and come up in rotation now and again.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

There are reasonably priced entry level maki-e pens from Pilot, Sailor and Platinum.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Thank-you all so very much for your insights, advice and for sharing your photos. I've learned enough now that I can begin my search.

That is a truly beautiful pen/ work of art! Thanks for sharing.

I think this whole maki-e business is similar to buying art.

You can buy art by a famous artist but it's possible what you personally like is different, and not as valuable.

You can go the 'books and exhibitions' way if you want to become a collector or dealer. Then you also get the satisfaction of labelling others less knowledgeable than you as "amateurs".Whether the emperor has clothes no one knows.

So just get what you like within your budget.

Agreed. Buy what you like and can afford!

• 7 months later...

My understanding is that, from an investment perspective, Pilot/Namiki tend to be more stable than most other Japanese brands. While it is true that most investment grade pens well out of any reasonable person's reach, I've nonetheless seen a hand-crafted Maki-e (88th Anniversary Nioh) increase to a value well in excess of what I paid for it. I expect to keep it for a long time, so I hope the trend continues.

That said, even if it does not, I will always love this pen. It is a precise writer with some beautiful hand-painted/etched art on it. I would focus on finding a design that moves you, and get that. The first time I saw that Nioh, I was hooked.

Hello, I agree that this pen is one of the best value for price...Do you know if it is handcrafted...I compared two and I could not find any difference rather than the gold sprinkle...which I am interpreting as the hand-made part of the pen...in other words, I think the artist is only doing the gold dust part, the rest is all screening and machine made...just guessing. Need some education here...thanks for your help. M

Hello, I agree that this pen is one of the best value for price...Do you know if it is handcrafted...I compared two and I could not find any difference rather than the gold sprinkle...which I am interpreting as the hand-made part of the pen...in other words, I think the artist is only doing the gold dust part, the rest is all screening and machine made...just guessing. Need some education here...thanks for your help. M

Should you purchase anything of enduring value, it is nice to know the history, themes, how it was made, etc.

If you are impressed by the design and can see yourself using//keeping/storing/etc. your pen for the next few years, in other words - you can appreciate your pen, does it matter if any part of it is screened, machine made or applied, or handmade to the highest standard known in the universe.

Just go for it!

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Should you purchase anything of enduring value, it is nice to know the history, themes, how it was made, etc.

If you are impressed by the design and can see yourself using//keeping/storing/etc. your pen for the next few years, in other words - you can appreciate your pen, does it matter if any part of it is screened, machine made or applied, or handmade to the highest standard known in the universe.

Just go for it!

I understand your point and I agree. Personally, I prefer handmade by experienced artist...

I found this on the same topic...

I was comparing two different pens from different kinds:

Nioh 88th anniversary (LE 880 pieces - around 2,000usd) and Goldfish Emperor (around 10,000usd not limited but small production).

For the Nioh, I cannot notice any difference rather than the gold sparkle (or so called fun maki-e, if I am not wrong)...which I interpret as machines making the screen print of the image and the artist hand made part is sparkling the gold. By no means I am minimizing the work, but I want to learn and understand the difference.

However, when you look at Goldfish, there are very noticeable differences in the drawing...so in this case it looks more obvious that it is handmade from the drawing to the finish. That can also explain the difference in price.

See the photos below (not best quality, sorry):

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk6hveVT

In this case, if you tell me that Nioh is handmade also as Goldfish, then I choose it...but if you tell me that Nioh is made by machine...then I am not sure to buy it.

If your pocketbook permits purchase of a $10,000 pen, go for it. If you can afford a $10,000 pen, $2,000 must be chump change. Buy both.

Are you aware that lithographs from some artists are priced higher than hand painted artwork from others.

It comes down to personal taste, budget, appreciation, and why you collect or use pens. Throw in availability too.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

• 4 weeks later...

Are you aware that lithographs from some artists are priced higher than hand painted artwork from others.

Thanks for your reply.

I didnt know that...is Namiki Thunder and Wind Gods lithographs? I saw that image in may pens (Sailor for example).