Twsbi Micarta V2 To Be Discontinued

tychoseven

I still have to wait for our TWSBI supplier :< I hope I wont run out of by the time they get the order... I have been asking for them to confirm or not but THIS IS A DISCONTINUED PEN I dont think my TWSBI retailer doesnt see the urgency of the situation... :<

I ordered the clipless a month ago I just got a confirmation of my order this month... bleh...

Edited by Algester

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• OakIris

• Blue_Moon

• VOKEY

I just bought a Micarta V2. I can't afford it. I panicked when I saw the low numbers in stock on the TWSBI website and my nib of choice out of stock altogether. This is what I call excessive consumerism: buying impusively; buying with the fear of missing out on a limited item; buying a non-essential (I know some of you will beg to differ) product. But I just can't escape the little tingle of excitement niggling away in the back of my head knowing a new pen is on the way. I will go to church today. I will pray for absolution. :closedeyes:

I just bought a Micarta V2. I can't afford it. I panicked when I saw the low numbers in stock on the TWSBI website and my nib of choice out of stock altogether. This is what I call excessive consumerism: buying impusively; buying with the fear of missing out on a limited item; buying a non-essential (I know some of you will beg to differ) product. But I just can't escape the little tingle of excitement niggling away in the back of my head knowing a new pen is on the way. I will go to church today. I will pray for absolution. :closedeyes:

Sounds as if you have a twinge or two of buyer's remorse - but I don't think you will be disappointed. I hope not, anyway, even though you didn't get the size of nib you wanted.

(Not to rub salt in the wound, but Amazon shows they still have some Micarta's in stock and, at least right now, all nib sizes are still available.)

Holly

I contacted Philip at TWSBI the other day for some information about the Micarta, and he mentioned they were planning to discontinue the pen. He cited high cost of production and low demand as the reasons.ll good

Just thought I'd pass that on, I'm sure somebody will want to know!

It's all good. i bought two, with the note books

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been on the board for quite awhile. LIke some of you, like Madden11, I went out and bought a Micarta (ver 2) learning that it would be discontinued. It was an impulsive buy, but one that I had considered for some time. I like the look of the pen as it doesnt not remsemble anything else.

Here's my mini-review for those of you considering purchasing a Micarta pen:

What I liked about the pen...

1) It feels perfect in the hand. It's comfortable to write with.

2) The material (micarta) is made with cotton fiber, much like celluloid, so it feels lightweight, yet substantial.

What i did NOT like about the pen...

1) The notebook 'case' is actually nice paper, great for fountain pens. But the way the paper is cut, doesn't really make a great notebook.

2) The micarta material stains very easily. It's difficult to remove ink-stains. Not a great pen for permanent ink fans.

3) I really did not like the nib. Although the bold nib wrote right out box, I really didn't like the feel of it. I have several spare nibs, and found an old Moore Maniflex nib from the late 1930s which worked well. It is not the same size, but it offers more character to the writing.

Bottom line...

Don't waste your money. This is definitely a daily-use pen without any character. The novelty wears off fast.

Edited by ToasterPastry

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/pop.jpg

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

Sorry your impulse buy was a disappointment, ToasterPastry. I had the opportunity to use a Micarta v.1 with a custom ground nib (Pendleton Brown) for about a month. Like you, I really liked the way the pen felt in the hand, and I enjoyed writing with the custom nib (I think it was one of Pendleton's butterline stub italic grinds.) I bought the Micarta v.2 with a broad nib; maybe someday I will get a custom grind done, but, unlike you, I enjoy the stock nib, too.

Having been forewarned (by posts from other FPN members) that the Micarta material can/will stain, I usually just fill the cartridge with a syringe so I don't have to dip the section in a bottle of ink. On the other hand, the staining could add character to the pen, a tale of the history of inks you used. lol In honesty, the only disappointment I have with this pen is the fill system. A piston fill system would have been much nicer and more interesting than a cartridge/converter system, especially with a pen at this price point. Of course, a piston fill system would force you to dip the pen and stain the Micarta, so perhaps that is why TWSBI decided against a nicer fill system??)

I would imagine that you could sell the Micarta to someone else and recover all or most of your money - especially when finding them 'in the wild' becomes more and more difficult when the current stock runs out.

Holly

Edited by OakIris

if ever my order doesnt get through I'll be looking for the Micarta (clipless) heck worst I might have someone turn my material into a pen... with some changes of course but of course you can also finish the "unfinished" Micarta but I dunno...

Edited by Algester

I am one of the ones like others that always had plans to get one, but this thread prompted me go for it. I happen to love this pen. It writes better than any of my other TWSBI's and just has a great organic feel to it.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

Both Micartas are hot. Clip and clip less. That James Bond type hidden compartment inside the note books is pretty cool also.

Edited by VOKEY

Both Micartas are hot. Clip and clip less. That James Bond type hidden compartment inside the note books is pretty cool also.

How do you add pictures? I don't see any where that says choose existing.

• 5 months later...

I wanted one for the longest time and missed the news that it would be out of stock. I am still looking for a clipless version with a medium nib and had hopes for a UK retailer only to find that it is now out of stock for the clipless version. Hard to move on from this one haha

Sorry you missed out on this one, Swordfish23. It's a nice pen, unique, even if it is a CC pen. I think you need a few more posts under your belt but then you can post a WTB - want to buy - ad in Classifieds, to see if anyone is willing to sell you one. (Used to be you had to have 50 posts (Chatter posts not counting) here on FPN before you could post in the Classifieds, but I can't seem to find anything about the rules now.)

Holly

Edited by OakIris

I wanted one for the longest time and missed the news that it would be out of stock. I am still looking for a clipless version with a medium nib and had hopes for a UK retailer only to find that it is now out of stock for the clipless version. Hard to move on from this one haha

Straitspen in Singapore (http://www.straitspen.com/) still have a few clipless Micartas left, with F or EF nib - plus several options if you're willing to buy with a clip. You'll have to email them about cost of postage - and factor in any import tax that may apply at your end - but all is not lost (maybe) if you move fast!

Who has used up the notebook paper that came with the Micartas?

Does Twsbi still sell those journals/ notebooks?

Edited by FOUR X FOUR

Who has used up the notebook paper that came with the Micartas?

Does Twsbi still sell those journals/ notebooks?

Twsbi still sells the small, medium and large notebooks on their website.

I am just about finished with my first notebook.

I have a Micarta V1 which I have not used since I brought it because of dryness issues, did TWSBI ever issue upgrade parts like they did for the pistons of the D530 a few years ago?

I have a Micarta V1 which I have not used since I brought it because of dryness issues, did TWSBI ever issue upgrade parts like they did for the pistons of the D530 a few years ago?

I don't believe they issued upgrade parts wholesale, however, any time I have had an issue with any twsbi model, they have always sent me the most recent iteration of the part in question or which had been damaged. Always free of charge, too!

• 1 month later...

I lucked out and ordered the last Micarta V.2 that Rodger of http://www.penclassicsnz.com/ had in stock - every now and then the blind pig finds an ear of corn.

I've been interested in the Micarta for some time. I can't wait to see what I think as folks experiences and impressions of it seem to run the gamut. It sounds as if many if not most of the version 1 issues were addressed with the 2nd version. If I like it as much as my other TWSBI's, I expect it will be a good purchase. I think including a notebook designed to hold the pen is rather fun and it's always nice to have more good FP paper around.

Edited by GHigley

OakIris, thank you for that information! I saw that and am wondering what I can do to be able to post. I have to look for the updated rule and read over to fully understand what the posts would be. Thank you for the help.

Jamerelbe, thank you for the help, if they had the medium in clipless I may have given it a shot. At those prices though i'm not sure settling would be a good choice :unsure:

Regards