Twsbi Micarta V2 To Be Discontinued

tychoseven

it's because the Micarta never got the publicizing it needs unlike the 530-580, the mini, classic, vac 700 heck I never discovered about the Micarta until Stephen Brown's review of it... but sadly I do not want the notebook but the pen itself... ohh well I know how to make micarta anyway I might end up having to make the material somehow then have someone turn it into a C/C pen a tad bit more expensive route I suppose... nor can I afford to use credit card on pens

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• OakIris

• Blue_Moon

• VOKEY

i had to order one last night. didn't want to miss out on this pen. i have their 580 in M., and it writes beautifully. if the micarta does as well as 580 i have, i'll be very happy.

Trying decided if I want clip or clipless for this as I already have a clipless V1.

I know the nib can be switched out with #6 nibs. Anyone done it with a Goulet nib? What was your experience?

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I know I want I know I want But but I can't afford the pen at credit basis... damn it its 100USD excluding shipping and my credit card maxes out at 100 USD...

Have you checked out eBay or possibly posted a "want to buy or trade" on this site in the classifieds?

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

well hmm... has any of the pen makers on the forums ever dealt with Micarta...

Shawn Newton aka watch_art has made some pens from the stuff. As I remember it played havoc with his cutting tools but he made some pretty impressive pens from it.

http://newtonpens.wordpress.com/2012/07/30/micarta-huh-and-a-torture-test/

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I dont think I can post at the classified ads yet will just see how it flows out from here else I might have to make my own Micarta and have someone turn it

Correct. You have plenty of posts and now you need to be a member until June 15th.

It's something to look forward to.

who knows, maybe we will have a big party, with champagne, caviar and little crustaceans - :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• 3 weeks later...

I contacted Philip at TWSBI the other day for some information about the Micarta, and he mentioned they were planning to discontinue the pen. He cited high cost of production and low demand as the reasons.

Just thought I'd pass that on, I'm sure somebody will want to know!

I just ordered a clip less TWSBI Micarta (fine point) from TWSBI (via Amazon). Amazon because no speciality pen store seems to carry it anymore, probably because it's been discontinued. I look forward to seeing how it performs.

Got mine the Friday, and I'm a little disappointed. I love the pen, but it writes a little on the dry side. I cleaned it first, and was using Waterman Absolute Brown. I'm going to order a couple of Goulet nibs, and see how they perform on it.

I must have been living under a rock for the last month or so - didn't know the Micarta was being discontinued. :( To think that I was hoping they would come out with a piston version and now they have removed it from the line up all together. Glad I was able to get one earlier this year.

It is a large pen, compared to my others, but it feels so nice and comfortable in the hand and writes so nicely (sorry to hear you are having problems with yours, Blue_Moon) that size doesn't matter. :D I like the material and the looks of the pen, too.

Those that are still sitting on the fence best get their Micarta while they can - you know how prices can get jacked up once a decent (semi-limited edition) pen model has been discontinued....

Holly

I've always thought about getting a Micarta, but... The lack of a clip upsets me.

You can still buy Micartas with clips. However, the only ones available now are Broads and Extra Fine. You could buy one of these and replace the nib with any #6 nib, such as the Goulet nibs.

Edited to add: Micartas with clips are available as of this posting. I just checked the TWSBI website.

Edited by Blue_Moon

I have one on the way from Pendleton Brown with one of his fine custom butter line italic grinds.. With everything people have been saying about it being a dry writer, seems a no-brainer to buy one from a nibmeister. Looking forward to trying it!

Mine isn't dry at all, in fact it writes wetter than I would prefer. I got a B nib, and have so far only used J. Herbin's Lie de Thé in it.

My Micarta isn't a dry writer,either, flow was great right out of the box. I know that Blue_Moon commented that the Micarta he/she received was too dry, but I don't believe that is a common complaint about the pen, at least I have read very little about that sort of problem, so I am not sure where you are getting the impression that lots of folks think it is a dry writer. It may be a factor of the ink used, too, of course, though Waterman inks aren't considered particularly dry inks, so, who knows. Still, any excuse to have a pen with a nib ground by Pendleton Brown; I am sure you won't be disappointed with the results! (I bought my TWSBI Mini from him, a broad nib with the butter line stub grind, and love it.)

@Blue_Moon - I hope you let us know how the Goulet nibs work in the Micarta once you've had a chance to try one out. :)

Holly

My Micarta isn't a dry writer,either, flow was great right out of the box. I know that Blue_Moon commented that the Micarta he/she received was too dry, but I don't believe that is a common complaint about the pen, at least I have read very little about that sort of problem, so I am not sure where you are getting the impression that lots of folks think it is a dry writer.

@Blue_Moon - I hope you let us know how the Goulet nibs work in the Micarta once you've had a chance to try one out. :)

Holly

Hi Holly,

People are getting that idea because the first version of the Micarta had a wide reputation for being a dry writer, and also the nib drying out. However, these problems were fixed with the release of version 2. They inserted an inner cap in the cap of the pen and changed the nib from Bock to JoWo. These addressed the problems, and it's generally agreed upon that version 2 is a great pen. Mine just happened to write a little on the dry side. As you said, it may be the ink, or it may be that I need to write with the pen for a few days to get broken in a little. It does seem to be writing a little wetter now. I am still using the same fill of Waterman Brown.

Let me clarify, though. It was not a dry writer to begin with. I said, in my original post, and just now, that it writes "a little" on the dry side. I prefer pens that are wet writers, and it may very well turn out to be one.

The Goulet nibs (1.1 and 1.5) should arrive tomorrow or Friday. It'll probably be the weekend before I can test them out. I've heard such good things about them, that I'm excited to get them. I'll post after trying them.

Thank you for the clarification, Blue_Moon. I know that V1 had the reputation of the nib drying out while it was capped, but that's a bit different from saying it is a dry writer - I don't remember hearing any complaints about it once the ink began to flow but perhaps I missed those discussions. I had the opportunity to use a Version 1 Micarta for about a month, thanks to a kind fellow-FPN member; the nib didn't dry out after the pen was unused for a while and the flow on it was wonderful - but the nib had been worked by Pendleton Brown so wasn't 'stock.' Anyway, my experience with it is why I knew I had to get one of my own and I now have the V2 with a stock broad nib. I love the way it writes.

I have no complaints about the nib TWSBI used, but look forward to hearing your impressions of your Micarta with the Goulet nibs. (I bought one of the Goulet 1.1 nibs several months ago planning to switch out the nib on my Noodler's Konrad Ebonite pen, but haven't gotten around to doing the swap as yet. :blush: Perhaps your - hopefully positive - experience with the nibs will inspire me!)

Holly

Edited by OakIris