M1000 Broad

miguelgoncalves

The pentrace article I posted a link to says that the M1000 nib suffers from being too curved over the feed.

Curved lengthwise, so instead of being in contact with the feed throughout its length, the nib lifts upwards close to the breathing hole and then curves back down at the tip of the feed.

The result is hard starts, and then a sudden puddle of ink.

The article also states the feed channels have become V-shaped which, frankly is just pure laziness and bad QC on Pelikan's part.

Design and manufacturing issues such as this on a flagship pen.

I would love to read the article -- but the link didn't seem to work. Could you give the article # reference?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• miguelgoncalves

• Eccles

• Pen2009

• proton007

I would love to read the article -- but the link didn't seem to work. Could you give the article # reference?

It does work for me... takes you to Pentrace article #370, Pen Doctor: Changing Pelikan nibs.

Regards,

Glenn.

I always cringe when I hear "use a wetter or drier ink" to fix the unsatisfactory nib performance. Any "fountain pen-ready" ink should be used for a properly manufactured fountain pen. I don't think my standards are not that high as a fountain pen should be properly tuned for any fountain pen inks.

Ink is not at fault here. The pen is.

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Pen2009: That is right! And even if the pen is wet or dry with another brand of ink it must perform flawlessly with the brand's inks. I tried both Edelstein and the 4001 line and the behaviour was unacceptable!!

The pentrace article I posted a link to says that the M1000 nib suffers from being too curved over the feed.

Curved lengthwise, so instead of being in contact with the feed throughout its length, the nib lifts upwards close to the breathing hole and then curves back down at the tip of the feed.

When I raised that point (ie. the middle section of the nib and the feed are not in contact with each other) with them, Pelikan replied that is how the M1000 is designed. I am not sure what merit that design brings, however.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I have long given up on trying to get manufacturers to resolve the problems with their nibs, and simply approach a nibmeister for assistance. All my Pelikan nibs have needed the TLC that only a nibmeister can bring to the equation. The only time I use the manufacturer's warranty is for a nib change or if something breaks on the pen.

When I raised that point (ie. the middle section of the nib and the feed are not in contact with each other) with them, Pelikan replied that is how the M1000 is designed. I am not sure what merit that design brings, however.

Once a company has a few thousand defective units lying in inventory, "that's how it was designed" is usually the safest answer.

It's unlikely that Pelikan is going to be sued for designing a defective part, as compared to, let's say Toyota or Ford, so why should they bother with recalls and replacements?

Edited by proton007

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

Once a company has a few thousand defective units lying in inventory, "that's how it was designed" is usually the safest answer.

It's unlikely that Pelikan is going to be sued for designing a defective part, as compared to, let's say Toyota or Ford, so why should they bother with recalls and replacements?

I did not know about that background story. The nib they replaced for my M1000 seems to have perfect fit with the feed. I could not see the space from the breather hole in the nib. The defective nib they replaced did have that space as I can light through the breather hole from some certain angle.

It seems my replacement nib was manufactured fresh off the production.

Hi Guys!

Just an update...

Got my M1000 replacement nib today. I asked the seller to check the nib and it was even moist because of the heat during the 5 day transport. Once flushed with water a couple of times it writes superbly and the nib is so, so smooth. It seems I am writing on butter.

This seller was amazing and the problem has been resolved as quickly as possible.

I am even going to send them my IB nib for them to check (it is not behaving as the M1000 B) and because they told me they would pay all shipping charges I must tell you that the seller is Niche Pens in the UK. Amazing service!

I will just have to wait a few months to get the M1005 or the black M1000… One cannot have only one M1000! :-)

Got my M1000 replacement nib today. I asked the seller to check the nib and it was even moist because of the heat during the 5 day transport. Once flushed with water a couple of times it writes superbly and the nib is so, so smooth. It seems I am writing on butter.

One cannot have only one M1000! :-)

I'm glad things worked out and that you are now happy with the writing experience. Pelikans are sometimes inconsistent but when it writes... it's perfect.

And I definitely agree with the last statement! I'm thinking of getting the black M1000 soon!

Thanks,

Franz

My M1005 broad occasionally has a hard start and the odd minor skip; it seems to have a very short "cap off" time. However, it was nowhere near as bad as shown in your video. I generally only buy from retailers willing to thoroughly test nibs before sending them to me (most I've dealt with are happy to do so) but the M1005 was getting hard to find so I had to take what was available.

'precious resin' always brings a smile to my face, much like, miltary justice, low tar cigarettes, or reality TV show.

Precious resin is a load of BS... lol

What's precious resin trading for per troy ounce today? My desk lamp and toothbrush are made of precious resin.

Edited by n1019

Hi Guys!

Just an update...

Got my M1000 ... it writes superbly and the nib is so, so smooth. It seems I am writing on butter.

This seller was amazing and the problem has been resolved as quickly as possible. I must tell you that the seller is Niche Pens in the UK. Amazing service!

I will just have to wait a few months to get the M1005 or the black M1000… One cannot have only one M1000! :-)

I have to agree on all counts - my two black M1000s, with OBB & OM respectively, came from Niche pens.

The OM writes beautifully,as if on a sheet of ice, gliding without effort and making my handwriting even more illegible unless I take extra care... which is a good thing to be forced to do.

The service was excellent, with very competitive pricing & and excellent packaging.

If I ever get rich, I'll be back for more.

Glenn.

My M1005 broad occasionally has a hard start and the odd minor skip; it seems to have a very short "cap off" time. However, it was nowhere near as bad as shown in your video. I generally only buy from retailers willing to thoroughly test nibs before sending them to me (most I've dealt with are happy to do so) but the M1005 was getting hard to find so I had to take what was available.

That is what happens with mine also... I believe it might be the design of the inner cap that is not sealing the nib completely and it makes it dry quickly.

OTOH and not bashing Pelikan my MB 146 starts always even if left capped for a week but the nib is not as smooth as my M1000 :-)

• 2 months later...

use mb ink maybe it will improve things

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

No ink will fix your issue. That nib needs to be tuned and some iridium ground off of the nib.... And I assure you, Pelikans are not being tested at the factory or anywhere else for that matter. They are amazing pens, but rarely EVER wonderful out-of-the-box.

For what it's worth, every single Pelikan from M800/805 to M1000/1005 made after about 2010 to pass through my collection has had an issue with hard starts. That's about 6 pens. The slightly older nibs with the two chicks on them (as opposed to one) never had this problem. I don't know what they're doing but it's really unfortunate.