M1000 Broad

miguelgoncalves

Hi Guys!

Just bought an M1000 (green striated) with a Broad nib. Gorgeous pen!!! I want an M800 with this pattern.

When I got it, I flushed the pen with clear water several times and I've gone through 3 different inks (Edelstein Topaz, 4001 Blue-Black and Edelstein Sapphire). I've not used the entire capacity of ink but switched after a few tests.

I am getting hard starts and strange skips as can be shown in this video on YouTube.

I don't know if the problem is the feed or the nib… My M805 (turquoise ink), also shown in the video, does not have this problem.

Do you think I should request a nib exchange? I don't understand why a pen with this behavior passed Pelikan's QC.

I asked the seller to test the pen before shipping. They said they tested it but probably only dipped the nib in the bottle.

Is it my scribbling technique that is wrong?

I think I remember my M805 skipping a bit on the first days and then it got OK. For this price they should be perfect out of the box. And, not wanting to start a flame war here, my Montblanc Legrand with a Broad nib also never hesitates.

What is your opinion?

Cheers,

Miguel

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• miguelgoncalves

• Eccles

• Pen2009

• proton007

1. make sure tines are aligned

2. check to make sure nib and feed are aligned.

3. ensure that all manufacturer oils have been rinsed out of en (i noticed you said you have ran three different types of inks through it, how thorough was your flushing?)

4. last thing i would do after all of that is adjust the nib by pulling the tines slightly apart... (if you have never messed with nibs you may want to read up on how to adjust flow of pens)

5. last thing i would do is send it back.

Hope some of this helps.

1. make sure tines are aligned

2. check to make sure nib and feed are aligned.

3. ensure that all manufacturer oils have been rinsed out of en (i noticed you said you have ran three different types of inks through it, how thorough was your flushing?)

4. last thing i would do after all of that is adjust the nib by pulling the tines slightly apart... (if you have never messed with nibs you may want to read up on how to adjust flow of pens)

5. last thing i would do is send it back.

Hope some of this helps.

1. they are

2. they are

3. it was very thorough (around 15 full fills)

4. the pen is pretty wet when it flows and I don't want to ruin a nib of this price by fiddling with it :-(

thanks for your ideas!

Try a wetter ink.

Aren't Pelikan inks ideal for Pelikan pens?

I've tried an Edelstein ink and 2 4001 series inks.

I have Florida Blue but the pen should work with any ink, right?

Try a wetter ink.

Those nibs tend to be (very) wet. The reason so many recommend the 4001 inks is due to their relative dryness.

I have Florida Blue but the pen should work with any ink, right?

Of course. I've just observed that Pelikan inks tend to be on the dry side. It really depends on the individual pen.

i think the problem isnt ink related TBH. I have had a few select pens with similar starting issues, and it wasnt tied to ink used. their was a manufacturer flaw with one and another just needed a flow adjustment.

I do see what you mean by being VERY wet when it is writing. I'm afraid i dont have any other suggestions if you dont feel comfortable messing with the nib.

Please repy back when you get the issue figured out for future thread readers.

i think the problem isnt ink related TBH. I have had a few select pens with similar starting issues, and it wasnt tied to ink used. their was a manufacturer flaw with one and another just needed a flow adjustment.

I do see what you mean by being VERY wet when it is writing. I'm afraid i dont have any other suggestions if you dont feel comfortable messing with the nib.

Please repy back when you get the issue figured out for future thread readers.

It is very wet… Without the skips and hard starts it will sure be a great pen. I just love how wet it is. And the nib is G-R-E-A-T!!! I spent today an entire fill of Turquoise just scribbling to see it the problem went away. Love the color.

I will send the link of the video to the seller tomorrow.

Just hope they send me a replacement nib quickly and a way to send this nib back for free (in this order of course).

I just don't feel comfortable to visit my local Pelikan reseller that sells this pen at a higher price to complain about a pen they did not sell.

I will keep this thread updated with my findings.

Many thanks for all your help!

Cheers,

Miguel

I used to have great luck with Pelikan nibs back in 2006-2008, then more recently I started to notice the newer pens are more likely to have inconsistent nibs. I don't know if this has improved, since the last Pelikan I bought was in 2012, but the last few Pelikans I bought did not leave me that impressed. Most of the nibs needed too much pampering. I would not mind if Pelikan was still priced as it was in 2006 or 2007, but with the crazy price increases lately, you'd think they'd invest more in quality control.

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

Look at the underside of the nib and check the spot where the feed should be touching the nib .If there is a visible gap between the feed and nib , then this would probably account for your problem . Do this check with the nib dry and flushed out so you can readily see this spot . I've heard of people correcting this problem with hot water and bending the feed upwards to touch the nib but I wouldn't be game to try this myself .

All suggestions to tweak the nib are appreciated yet I simply do not understand why should I pursue that path for such an expensive brand new pen.

I bought a ten times cheaper pen (Faber Castell BASIC with a broad nib) that writes perfectly out of the box.

As a consumer I feel insulted and deceived by Pelikan for letting a product like this leave their factory.

On their site they say

The nib of the Souverän piston filler M800 is made of 18 carat/750 gold, the nibs of the models M600 and M400 are made of 14 carat/585 gold. All nibs are refined with a rhodium decor and their writing qualities were tested by hand. The fountain pens are equipped with a differential piston-filling mechanism, of which is elaborated with high-value brazen components on the model M800.

One of two things happened:

1. They are lying and did not test the nib or

2. Something happened after the pen left the factory.

I am betting on the first... or... they say "were tested" (perhaps many years ago but not now)

I am really angry!

These days I'm weary whenever any luxury brand claims a product is hand-built, hand-assembled, hand-tested, etc. For example, I collect Swiss watches, and although many claim they are hand-crafted or some other such nonsense, I know the reality is that some machine spit it all out, and the "hand crafted" comes from some person screwing in a few pieces in together somewhere towards the middle or end of the process. Perhaps not even that much, in some cases hand assembled or hand crafted simply means some dude operated the machine which put the pieces together.

The same applies to fountain pens today. I've seen a video of Aurora pens being assembled somewhere, and the hand crafted simply means some guy put the nib on a machine and used the machine to cut the channel between the tines, and then used a machine to polish the nib, and finally some other dude screwed in the piston with a wrench, but the rest is machine made from beginning to end. I suspect Pelikan is probably the same considering the amount of "exclusive" pens that companies produce each year to keep up with the demand. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy luxury items such as fountain pens. By all means, do, but don't get suckered in by the marketing terms designed to elicit an emotional response. I'm referring to words such as "limited," "precious resin," "hand crafted," "exclusive," or "rare."

Be an informed consumer when buying luxury items, and you'll learn to make informed purchases and have more realistic expectations about what your money is buying.

Sorry about your bad experience. Pelikan makes decent pens, and most write nicely, but they are frankly having too many quality control issues with nibs these days. I agree that it is frustrating, though when their nibs are good, they are really good. Although you could probably say the same about any nib with proper alignment of the tines, adequate separation between the tines, and smooth tipping material. I agree though that the manufacturers of more expensive pens should be held to a higher standard when it comes to quality control than the manufacturers of $20-$50 pens, and it's frustrating when they don't deliver on that expectation.

Edited by Sallent

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

Miguel,

I'll recommend you check for these two issues before concluding there's a baby's bottom issue:

-- The gap between the nib and the feed. The feed should be touching the nib, there shouldn't be any visible gap.

-- How far does the nib extend beyond the feed? If it's too far ahead in comparison to the M800, the nib's not been set correctly, and needs to be moved deeper.

EDIT: Also check here: http://www.pentrace.net/penbase/Data_Returns/full_article.asp?id=370

Edited by proton007

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

I seem to recall the other check to make is that the nib is fully screwed into the section, without over-tightening, of course.

All these current nib issues conversations are a worry when your new M1000 is in the post!

Fingers crossed,

Glenn.

I've called this morning another seller in Europe from which I bought a M200 Cognac. They said that if the seller did not fix my M1000 problem I could call them and they would resolve the issue. That's what I call great customer service!

Then I called the seller from which I got the M1000 and had previously sent the link to the video. They will post today a brand new nib and will thoroughly test this nib on a completely inked pen. They said that many customers don't want the pens to be tested this way and want a brand new pen. Heck! For me, a pen that has been inked once for tests is as brand new as an uninked one if this procedure spares me this aggravation.

They also asked me to send the nib back when I can and they would refund me for the shipping charges.

Great customer service!

The seller I got the Cognac pen from was soo considerate that I most probably buy my Montblanc 149 (Christmas gift) from them. Of course I also asked them to test this Cognac pen.

As soon as this is resolved I'll update you guys.

. By all means, do, but don't get suckered in by the marketing terms designed to elicit an emotional response. I'm referring to words such as "limited," "precious resin," "hand crafted," "exclusive," or "rare."

'precious resin' always brings a smile to my face, much like, miltary justice, low tar cigarettes, or reality TV show.

Pelikans have been having this problem for some time. Hard starts and skipping. I got pretty frustrated with them. But, in the states, with Chartpak, they have very solid support. Hope all is resolved!

I agree, that no pen should that expensive should need adjustment out of the box. that is somewhat ridiculous, as you say, when one can spend 10-20xs less and get a pen that works.

Edited by dspeers58

Pelikans have been having this problem for some time. Hard starts and skipping. I got pretty frustrated with them. But, in the states, with Chartpak, they have very solid support. Hope all is resolved!

I agree, that no pen should that expensive should need adjustment out of the box. that is somewhat ridiculous, as you say, when one can spend 10-20xs less and get a pen that works.

The pentrace article I posted a link to says that the M1000 nib suffers from being too curved over the feed.

Curved lengthwise, so instead of being in contact with the feed throughout its length, the nib lifts upwards close to the breathing hole and then curves back down at the tip of the feed.

The result is hard starts, and then a sudden puddle of ink.

The article also states the feed channels have become V-shaped which, frankly is just pure laziness and bad QC on Pelikan's part.

Design and manufacturing issues such as this on a flagship pen.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts