My Pilot Elite "big Cap" Extra-Fine (70S-80S)

KBeezie

@ pongsy3g

A Japanese knows better. Thank you for confirming green stickers as Korean.

We also know that RED ribbon on gold sticker are from Taiwan. Could you confirm this?

I am also an "Elite" hunter with more than 75 different issues of Elite. My question is (if you know)..., are Elite ever made in India or Burma?

Still missing the "White Stripe" MYU and black brother MYU with transparent section!

(Has somebody a "Murex" with a working clock?

(Thanks to Steve I found the "Black Stripe Capless" and the "White Stripe Capless")

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• ukobke

• hari317

• pompa

Top Posters In This Topic

@ pongsy3g

A Japanese knows better. Thank you for confirming green stickers as Korean.

We also know that RED ribbon on gold sticker are from Taiwan. Could you confirm this?

I am also an "Elite" hunter with more than 75 different issues of Elite. My question is (if you know)..., are Elite ever made in India or Burma?

I've tried to google about Taiwanese version of Elite with the sticker you mentioned. It has nail-shaped nib larger than Korean one, seems gold plated steel, and made in Japan, because JIS symbol appeared on the nib. I heard Pilot never made FPs in Taiwan(Platinum and Sailor ever made), but only ink(by Taiwanese major stationary company "Liberty" under license, not by Pilot themselves or child company. They are still making Pilot brand ink with very old bottle and box design).

I guess it is export-only product, since I never saw Elite with steel nib in domestic store here(in Japan, only 18K or 14K could be found).

Furthermore, I don't know about Elite pens ever made in Indian or Burmese Pilot factory.

I've tried to google about Taiwanese version of Elite with the sticker you mentioned. It has nail-shaped nib larger than Korean one, seems gold plated steel, and made in Japan, because JIS symbol appeared on the nib. I heard Pilot never made FPs in Taiwan(Platinum and Sailor ever made), but only ink(by Taiwanese major stationary company "Liberty" under license, not by Pilot themselves or child company. They are still making Pilot brand ink with very old bottle and box design).

I guess it is export-only product, since I never saw Elite with steel nib in domestic store here(in Japan, only 18K or 14K could be found).

Furthermore, I don't know about Elite pens ever made in Indian or Burmese Pilot factory.

The one I have, does not have the JIS symbol. It says though, "super quality", "Made in Japan".

I also have a "Long" type Elite, but it writes .."super quality" with the round mark of JIS.

Still, I am not sure if they were made in Japan.

Still missing the "White Stripe" MYU and black brother MYU with transparent section!

(Thanks to Steve I found the "Black Stripe Capless" and the "White Stripe Capless")

The one I have, does not have the JIS symbol. It says though, "super quality", "Made in Japan".

I also have a "Long" type Elite, but it writes .."super quality" with the round mark of JIS.

Still, I am not sure if they were made in Japan.

I'm not sure about the difference of nib description, but I guess the "Made in Japan" (without JIS symbol) nib is for export, and JIS marked nib is basically for domestic use, since JIS symbol is effective only in Japan and almost foreign people don't know what is it.

However, Taiwanese people are very familiar for Japanese products and many people understand what JIS means. I guess so Pilot have shipped some Elite pens to Taiwan with domestic type (with JIS symbol) nib.

Anyway, at least the nibs are made in Japan, even if the pens have been assembled in foreign country.

Edited by pongsy3g

It looks like a very nice long short pocket pen. I really must buy one of these from Speerbob.

Is the nib in line with pilot nib sizes (i.e. Is a fine in these Korean made elites the same as a pilot fine made in japan)?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

It looks like a very nice long short pocket pen. I really must buy one of these from Speerbob.

Is the nib in line with pilot nib sizes (i.e. Is a fine in these Korean made elites the same as a pilot fine made in japan)?

The Elite's (the one from speerbob) Extra-Fine is almost identical to the Pilot Metropolitan's Fine (a tiny bit smaller than metro's fine, but might as well be the same). According to Speerbob that's the smallest line Pilot he has.

Edited by KBeezie

As I noted in the earlier thread I linked, I bought four (to give to others). Two were definitely ef. The other two seemed wider. I'm inclined to agree with Speerbob comment then that some of the variation may have been flow rate. The two I labeled as definite ef were a bit dry. A fast stroke could get ahead of flow. But he also said he had seen variation among those labeled EF.

Sorry, when I wrote my question I didn't realise that these were only available in EF. Looks like I'll just have to order an EF and see how it is!

Thanks

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 2 weeks later...
A Wonderful Bargain On A Pilot Elite EF Nib Pen - Offered on FPN by ‘Speerbob’. I ordered a Pilot Elite EF by using FPN’s direct mail and/also by following with a copy to Speerbob's email address. Great service. I received the pen in a section of PVC pipe, which is the best and most protective means of sending a pen through the mail. It was received in perfect condition, in it’s original plastic wrap, and with the ‘Elite EF’ green sticker on the barrel.

The pen writes like a true EF nib without a skip. I have a medium size man’s hand and found the grip small, but pleasant after a short session. I usually write with a TWSBI Mini Classic EF nib, whose line dimension is similar to a Japnese M width. The pen seals and closes with a vacuum type pressure, which adds to its quality construction. It’s a great writing pen on all types of paper, including Moleskine, Letts, and Midori, and fits nicely into a shirt pocket. The clip keeps the pen secure in my shirt pocket. The converter holds a large amount of ink, and the pen starts without delay. The cap is light and does not affect my writing if posted. I’ll probably purchase a back-up pen, and a gift pen.

Dimensions -

Grip area of barrel: 7.5mm to 8.5mm - I usually hold the grip area towards the nib, but found myself holding the pen further back in the grip area for control. I can write at various speeds without difficulties with this pen.

Barrel: 106.4mm

Cap: 81.2 mm

Posted: approximately 6 inches

Steel gold plated nib - smooth writer

Clean And Fill To Write -

1. Remove the small plastic sticker from barrel with a drop of Adhesive Remover (Un-Du). Immediately, wash pen barrel with liquid soap and water until clean.

2. Clean all the parts of the pen with water and wipe with paper towels.

3. Apply a thin coat of Renaissance Micro-Crystaline Wax Polish to strengthen and polish the barrel and cap, being careful not to clog breathing holes and nib areas. Polish with a cloth.

4. Flush nib, 2 oz. bulb ear syringe with distilled water. Flush converter with distilled water using same procedure.

5. Flush nib and/also converter with Goulet Pen Flush or your own recipe of Pen Flush, followed, immediately, by water - see Step 4.

6. Carefully dry all pen parts (exterior and interior) with paper towels, being especially protective not to jam the nib or to leave paper particles.

7. Fill the converter by slowly squeezing the ink sack several times, or, preferably, by filling the ink sack with a syringe. Squeeze the ink sack converter gently to induce flow of ink, and wipe the nib clean with a paper towel.

8. Screw nib assembly to the barrel, and enjoy writing with your new pen.

Best Writings To You,

coffeetoofull

Edited by coffeetoofull

• 1 month later...

I bought one of these from Speerbob today and am really looking forward to receiving it :)

Edited by Thuja

Caretaker for a bevy of Swans.

• 2 months later...

I bought four of these Elites from Speerbob and have only inked one of them. Korean or not, it seems to work fine and to my surprise, the nib feels like there's a little spring to it. Not what I expected. Longer use will tell how well they work. I gave away two and I hope the new owners will be happy with them.

I also have one of the older Japanese made Elites with a larger gold nib. It writes beautifully, but has an M nib. I think I got that from Speerbob years ago.

Hi, I have just purched on of these PILOT ELITE HUDDED NIB PENS. this came with a converter already fitted. i would like to fit ink cartridges, can anybody explain how to remove this converter and what number pilot ink cartridges should I buy?

Thanks & Regards

I'm pretty sure it takes a standard Pilot cartridge. The converter looks like a Pilot CON-20 which is interchangeable with the cartridges.

Edited by wikeh2004

Just take it out. It's a CON-20.

Then just fit the cartridge.

Pilot has its own cartridges. International cartridges do not fit.

Just take it out. It's a CON-20.

Then just fit the cartridge.

Pilot has its own cartridges. International cartridges do not fit.

There are some like the Pilot 55 which looks very similar to the Elite that has a permanently attached squeeze filler which cannot be removed without completely disassembling the pen.

Though if it's an "Elite", like you said it should just be a con-20, and if it won't pull easy, it works to give it a twist (clockwise only, if you try to twist counter clockwise you risk unscrewing the nipple assembly, which is of course required if you want to push the feed out thru the back of the section after removing the nib forward).

ie: something like this is how the "Short" Elite from the 70s/80s look after being disassembled (the nib pulls forward which one some of the pens is very tedious to get out, and may require some soaking and rubber pads), and unscrewing the chrome/silverish ring off the section, then have to unscrew the nipple part which usually requires a special tool, but the Con-20 seems to have enough torque with some soaking to unscrew counter clockwise, then the feed gets nudge back out of the section, but you have to be careful. Up by the front is a sponge that sits between the nib and feed. This one pictured took about 5 days of soaking before I was finally able to get the feed out, was completely gucked up as if someone used India ink in it.

I have no clue if the korean made elite speerbob sells can be disassembled in a similar fashion.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/shares/takeda-ya/elite_diassembled.jpg

KBeezie, did you ever pick up the Platinum PG-250? If so, it would be great to see a side by side comparo of this pen and the Elite big cap.

Although I have been salivating over the Elite 95s since I first saw it on a retailer's blog, my budget is limited due to a job transition. I will have to forego the 2014 pen until later, and can only get one of the two NOS pens.

KBeezie, did you ever pick up the Platinum PG-250? If so, it would be great to see a side by side comparo of this pen and the Elite big cap.

Although I have been salivating over the Elite 95s since I first saw it on a retailer's blog, my budget is limited due to a job transition. I will have to forego the 2014 pen until later, and can only get one of the two NOS pens.

Nope, never picked up a PG-250, ever since I've found that getting Pilot Elites and Sailors with 14K and 18K nibs for just as cheap ($20-30ish), there wasn't much point in picking up a steel nibbed PG-250 (They do have some Platinums that look similar with 14K/18K nibs ones but the model #s elude me right now, and I don't think they're often south of $60ish). Wouldn't mind finding a Sailor 21 pocket pen, but then it's getting out of the "deal" price.

Nope, never picked up a PG-250, ever since I've found that getting Pilot Elites and Sailors with 14K and 18K nibs for just as cheap ($20-30ish), there wasn't much point in picking up a steel nibbed PG-250 (They do have some Platinums that look similar with 14K/18K nibs ones but the model #s elude me right now, and I don't think they're often south of $60ish). Wouldn't mind finding a Sailor 21 pocket pen, but then it's getting out of the "deal" price.

Thanks, KBeezie. I will pull the trigger on the NOS Pilot Elite.

Thanks, KBeezie. I will pull the trigger on the NOS Pilot Elite.

This one was probably the more expensive one I got, but was still under 60.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pilotelite/lady/capped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pilotelite/lady/uncapped.jpg

In picture it seems to be about the same as the black short elites from the same time frame, but both the nib and the body are actually a tiny bit smaller (around the same height still, but narrower). So the option of doing any nib swapping between the three Elites (Lady Elite Coral 18K F, Elite 18K Soft Fine, Elite 18K Posting) isn't really possible with the Lady.

My first 18K Elite was the one with the 18K Soft Fine, and that ran me $36 shipped.

PS: This Sailor ran me $20 shipped, though wish I knew if one of their converters would work with it, I just got a cartridge I syringe fill it with. It's roughly a Fine/EF but it's very very smooth.

14K "jis-mark" nib whatever that means.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/sailor_star/uncapped2.jpg

Edited by KBeezie