Big Cap Pens...

KBeezie

So... got a $15 ebay coupon (which naturally means can only be used on ebay), so has me browsing around and came across two big cap pens I had browsed before, one by Pilot (Elite) and one by Platinum (PG-250), except no clue about them.

I honestly wouldn't mind getting a Japanese extra fine, and the feed on that Pilot must be ridiculously large.

http://www.speerbob.com/ebay/pg250c.jpg

The platinum actually has an adapter to fit international standard. But I can't seem to find any reviews of the PG-250 (which is probably new old stock... probably)

http://www.speerbob.com/ebay/elite3.jpg

And then there's the Elite with an extra fine nib, and if the old 70s/80s nibs are anything like the cheap nibs on my Pilot Metro/78G it should be rather nice. But I can't seem to find a review on just the above since there seems to be god knows how many variations of "elite".

I've seen maybe a couple other "Big Cap" pens out there, but nothing really seemed that appealing for under 50 that would benefit from the coupon (and while I was looking at inks as an option, most ebay sellers like to jack up the shipping cost when it comes to inks). So for now just kind of racking brain on the two similar 'big cap' pens.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• Pickwick

• mhguda

• Sasha Royale

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Waterman 58 on my bench that has a pretty big cap.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I have a Waterman 58 on my bench that has a pretty big cap.

You mean like this?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/75492-waterman-58/

http://www.parkvillepen.com/images/waterman/w58nt.jpg

If that's the one, the cap seems pretty proportional to the barrel (based on where the section threads are)

Edit:

On the other hand that does look pretty big...

http://www.estilograficas.org/imagenes/examen/waterman-58-ripple/waterman-58-ripple-1.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

I bought a Pilot Elite four years ago and gave it away. Just recently I bought another one from Speerbob still offering them at the same price. This pen is a comfortable smooth writer.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

I bought a Pilot Elite four years ago and gave it away. Just recently I bought another one from Speerbob still offering them at the same price. This pen is a comfortable smooth writer.

The same one he lists here? http://www.ebay.com/itm/371037824996

Cuz I'm trying to decide between that and the platinum ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/350802942739 ) , both of which are from Speerbob.

The long caps mean that when posted, these short pens will have normal length when writing.

Member Hari317 did a review of a Pilot Elite not long ago that's similar to the one you're considering. If you do a google search on his username and Pilot Elite, on fountainpennetwork.com, you're bound to find it...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

The long caps mean that when posted, these short pens will have normal length when writing.

Member Hari317 did a review of a Pilot Elite not long ago that's similar to the one you're considering. If you do a google search on his username and Pilot Elite, on fountainpennetwork.com, you're bound to find it...

It took me a second looking at it easier to see exactly what you just said, rather small capped but comfortable length when posted. I went ahead and ordered the pilot with the extra fine since iI've wanted to try a Japanese EF, and even though it's a vintage (70s to 80s) I think the spare con-20 filler I have should fit (it fills nicer than the squeeze fillers with just the tiny expose bar for squeezing)

Though I am wondering if over the decades if pilot kept their sizing roughly the same as I only have 3 other pilots (metro with M, and two 78g with M and B/stub) guess we'll see by Tuesday.

I did do a search earlier but all the elites were not the same one as the one I was looking for.

I am wondering. Is it a matter of "interesting" proportions, for the sake of aesthetics ? Or is there a functional purpose ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I am wondering. Is it a matter of "interesting" proportions, for the sake of aesthetics ? Or is there a functional purpose ?

Functional purpose as mentioned above. Small and more readily pocket able, but normal feeling when posted

The same one he lists here? http://www.ebay.com/itm/371037824996

Cuz I'm trying to decide between that and the platinum ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/350802942739 ) , both of which are from Speerbob.

Yes, that's the one. Looking at the length of the section, I'm wondering if it contains as much ink as the sac in the aerometric filler. This pen has had favorable reviews. I've bought several pens from Speerbob and found him to be a reliable seller.

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Yes, that's the one. Looking at the length of the section, I'm wondering if it contains as much ink as the sac in the aerometric filler. This pen has had favorable reviews. I've bought several pens from Speerbob and found him to be a reliable seller.

Yes seeing the section my first thought was "that's one hell of a llarge feed", so if the con-20 I have fits, it'll be much easier to squeeze the ink to full capacity.

Yes seeing the section my first thought was "that's one hell of a llarge feed", so if the con-20 I have fits, it'll be much easier to squeeze the ink to full capacity.

Looking forward to hearing about your experience. I have written a six page 81/2" X 11" letter with it without a refill

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Pelikan 100n and 140 and a few other medium-short German Pens like a Kaweco Dia, Geha 760, all have long caps, so when posted the pen is Standard length.

Medium short pens were popular back then with the Germans, but needed the long cap to balance when posted.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Pelikan 100n and 140 and a few other medium-short German Pens like a Kaweco Dia, Geha 760, all have long caps, so when posted the pen is Standard length.

Medium short pens were popular back then with the Germans, but needed the long cap to balance when posted.

I expect these pens were popular because they were easily portable and would fit in a vest pocket. One doesn't usually need to carry a bulky pen capable of writing a lengthy letter.

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

I have one of the Pilot Elites you have listed that I got from Speerbob. It started out a little dry, but with a little use it has become a great writer. The converter in it is the same size as the squeeze converter that comes with the Pilot Metropolitan, most of it is just hidden down in the grip section when looking at the pictures. Mine also has a somewhat springy nib on it and I can achieve a line from EF to about BB. Overall, I am really pleased with the size and characteristics of this pen. It is a great buy and I would recommend it!

Edited by scully012

I don't have a Pilot Elite, but I have an Otho Tasche which works on the same principle. It's a short pen when capped, but when posted has a regular length and is comfortable to write with. In my case it's part of a sub-collection of sorts, of pocket pens you might say. They fit even in a small purse or in small pockets, but the main charm is that when carried, they are a small packet, but when used, they are regular pens, not toys. The Pilot Vortex is another such, not as fancy as the Elite, but similar in design in that it also has the long cap that you're supposed to post when writing, to get a regular length pen. I've got one of those, too.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

The Pilot Elite is a wonderful pen. I had the 95s in deep red. Everything was great: smooth nib, comfortable length when posted.

But... being trigger happy, i didn't take into account that i dont like to post pens. Though not for me, the Pilot found an owner who adores it and uses it as an everyday carry pen.